How often to ride to build riding fitness.

CR500

Squid
First time poster here. I'm a 50 year old gym rat who has been away from riding for too long. I bought a Polygon Siskiu D7 a month ago and quickly found muscle memory had gone. I know from my gym work, I need 4 days between working out a body part with heavy lifting. How about with building bike fitness and peddling strength, do you still need a few days to recover between 1-2hr rides (remembering I'm 50)?

moorey

call me Mia
Hey mate. Just depends. I’m 50 also. Was down to near zero fitness 12 months ago after injuries and apathy. Started off a couple of times a week for 1.5-2h and built up from there. (Entered myself in a 5 day Tasmanian race to force motivation).
Everyone is different. I don’t follow any proper training programs. I just put hours in on the bike mainly because I love it and it clears my head.
Welcome.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
First time poster here. I'm a 50 year old gym rat who has been away from riding for too long. I bought a Polygon Siskiu D7 a month ago and quickly found muscle memory had gone. I know from my gym work, I need 4 days between working out a body part with heavy lifting. How about with building bike fitness and peddling strength, do you still need a few days to recover between 1-2hr rides (remembering I'm 50)?
Welcome to the mad house!

You probably don't need four days as you shouldn't be causing as much muscle damage/fatigue, but in general terms day on day off will see you right. You'll probably find your muscles haven't forgotten that much once your cardio catches up.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
You can probably apply some of the gym thought process to riding, but as above, probably less recovery time because it's unlikely you'll be putting the same sort of effort in. Riding normally consists of efforts of many, many, many many reps rather than a few reps of a big weight.

I personally flip between every day at a sustainable effort, or a rest day or two and proper hard efforts or long rides. It all works, and in my head at least, changing it up like that keeps a good baseline fitness for doing whatever tickles my fancy at any given time

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Welcome mate
You picked a good time to join, there is suddenly a bunch of us old buggers trying to get fit at the moment haha. And then there's @Cardy George who is just always fit!

I've never been an every day rider, mostly just weekends. I just started with morning rides on both days gradually increasing distance each week.
Before long I then started to really push the Saturday ride as long as possible and then kept the Sunday ride a little smaller sort of as a recovery ride.
How I got to my fittest ever, was doing this and then also throwing in a long commute ride or two in during the week.

At the moment I'm finding quite large gains quickly by doing one day on one day off during the week, but then mostly backing up with both days on the weekend. All rides 2hrs.

CR500

Squid
Thanks for the heads up. With my roster I have a few options with riding times. I will try to do a decent ride every 2nd to 3rd day, or otherwise throw in a quick 30 minute session whenever I can. As mentioned, I a not going to be tearing muscle fibres on my old fart rides the way I do at the gym, so likely I wont need 4 days recovery. I gotta say though, I am getting mega muscle pump by the time have done an hour or two riding.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Just go and ride for enjoyment without setting any goals. It is supposed to be fun. You will go harder as time moves on.

@moorey has turned into a kilometre eating machine much like a Terminator on a bike now. I'm sure he will be shovelling away to building his own steeper mountains soon. We can only look on in awe and clap :)

CR500

Squid
Just go and ride for enjoyment without setting any goals. It is supposed to be fun. You will go harder as time moves on.

@moorey has turned into a kilometre eating machine much like a Terminator on a bike now. I'm sure he will be shovelling away to building his own steeper mountains soon. We can only look on in awe and clap :)
Yes, I agree, I don't want it to become a chore. But then I didn't want to make my early gym mistakes and ride too often (if that is such a thing).

A month after starting riding I have just got back 30 minutes ago from a ride to my local MTB track and did some loops. It seems global warming as shrunk the hills on the way to the MTB track. I have also found I am riding a gear or two higher and going a fair bit quicker in uphill sections around my local MTB track which I am putting down to my new oval chainring.

CR500

Squid
Welcome mate
You picked a good time to join, there is suddenly a bunch of us old buggers trying to get fit at the moment haha. And then there's @Cardy George who is just always fit!

I've never been an every day rider, mostly just weekends. I just started with morning rides on both days gradually increasing distance each week.
Before long I then started to really push the Saturday ride as long as possible and then kept the Sunday ride a little smaller sort of as a recovery ride.
How I got to my fittest ever, was doing this and then also throwing in a long commute ride or two in during the week.

At the moment I'm finding quite large gains quickly by doing one day on one day off during the week, but then mostly backing up with both days on the weekend. All rides 2hrs.
And have you (or other old buggers) found the spare tire around the belly disappears as your fitness goes up?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
which I am putting down to my new oval chainring.
Only in jest I hope. It's all rider up until the really pointy end. The weights should help with your power output. But riding will help with endurance of that power.

Like a lot of others, I find that road or gravel rides are better for 'training' of general riding fitness. Doesn't have to be a road bike. MTB on flatter trails is good for just holding the same power or heartrate for a long stretch.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Old knees will disagree. We have to talk about selling your running shoes and swapping them for some Minions :)
I’ve been talked into playing AFL 9’s so I’m having to run at the moment to get ready for that. My knees and ankles are much happier on the bike!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I’ve been talked into playing AFL 9’s so I’m having to run at the moment to get ready for that. My knees and ankles are much happier on the bike!
Be careful, don't get too good. Chances are good that I'll miss your awards ceremony.

I don't understand the whole Brownlow medal thing. I think I must be missing the point but I don't get it. It look like an auction from the bewildered northern neighbours point of view. An odd custom that I'm trying to understand :)