How often to ride to build riding fitness.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
There will be a larger proportion of muscle loss along with fat and water by not refueling post exercise. Sure you will lose weight, but losing weight is also not equal. You want to lose fat while building muscle (or at least maintaining muscle). Not eating post exercise reduce syour bodys ability to repair and build muscle.
Lose weight they said, It will be easy they said. Apparently not lol.

Minlak

custom titis
Lose weight they said, It will be easy they said. Apparently not lol.
Losing weight is simple - doing it is hard - the worst part is having to read uneducated drivel from every weight loss expert in a forum - who is also usually the most naturally lean person in the history of the universe

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I tend to find I can get fitter without losing weight if I don't watch what I'm eating. Can ride harder/further/faster but still have the 'dad bod' going on.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I tend to find I can get fitter without losing weight if I don't watch what I'm eating. Can ride harder/further/faster but still have the 'dad bod' going on.
Yep because building various fitnesses doesn't always mean youll lose weight. If you're putting the calories in and using them in your riding you will inturn build aerobic fitness, your muscles will be stronger etc but chances are you're not expending all the calories eaten or creating a deficit. It's why some body builders bulk then cut. Eat shit for energy and smash the gym, then cut the fat fast via various (usually unhealthy) methods. I can't say its a good way of doing things as you can find a balance.

To be fair you don't even have to eat that bad to not be making inroads on nutrition. For example:

I just worked up tonight's dinner of Taco bowl (low carb Taco salad basically) and before I even put cheese and avo on, it's at ~1300 calories per serve already. to be fair, that serve is twice what I should be eating, but it constitutes the serve I'd eat. Pretty standard dinner for me, but way too many calories for a meal. With that and the 350ish cals I've eaten today I'm still pretty low on calories for the day, but with zero exercise it's a step back for today.

Nutrition counts and having an idea when you're going to call on the energy and what form it will be in when you need it helps manipulate where your gains and losses will occur.

Last edited:

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Nutrition counts and having an idea when you're going to call on the energy and what form it will be in when you need it helps manipulate where your gains and losses will occur.
Yeah - good advice there. I've used MyFitnessPal before. Pretty easy to use. But logging everything I eat is a bit of a chore. Especially if you cook fresh - because there's so many ingredients to consider. Sometimes I'll do it for a week or two and then try to wing it. (Really should get back on it - hills get so much easier with a bit of fitness AND lower weight)

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Yeah - good advice there. I've used MyFitnessPal before. Pretty easy to use. But logging everything I eat is a bit of a chore. Especially if you cook fresh - because there's so many ingredients to consider. Sometimes I'll do it for a week or two and then try to wing it. (Really should get back on it - hills get so much easier with a bit of fitness AND lower weight)
It's a good app. If you make the same meals regularly, just measure once and add it to the app. If you're off here or there in future renditions of the dish, it won't be a material difference.

I think the value of understanding what goes in your food is knowing what you can do without. And making the changes slowly. We add so much stuff to the food we eat that we don't even think about.

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
On this topic, I have been following this guy on Insta and he seems to make a decent bit of sense.

https://instagram.com/mtb.fitness?utm_medium=copy_link

Has anyone done his training program?
I bought this program, I got 8 weeks into the program then life and work went crazy. I found it actually worked, hills became much easier and they didn't hurt as much. Started seeing results on segments after about 3 weeks. It only cost $70 when I bought it and it came with a gym program and a home program. I did the home program, only had to buy some resistance bands. Just felt that being aimed at mtb riders, was a good buy.

I have a mate whom is doing Thenx, he is also seeing big results. This is $100 A year though

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I rekon strength and endurance wise, I'm stronger than I have ever been. At the same time I am heavier than I have ever been. My family have been known to be relatively good solid but lean build and then when they hit 45-ish BOOOM you're a fat bastard now.