How to build a DH track

Plow King

Little bit.
hey mate im actually trying to build a dh track (that is already an unused walking track) at the bottom of my street and because you live in the shire quess what i do too so was wondering if i could get some help guys from bike culture (jon odams) is trying to find time to walk the trail and find out how much work is going to be needed to get it rideable as its pretty rocky and steep but i think its rideable ( i would ride it if i had a dh bike) but yer i thought i would just tell you this incase you wanted to help but i dont know
ps the track is down akuna avanue if you know where that is

cheers blake:) :)
Next to the oval? My mate lives right there. I'll ask him to check it out for you.

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yer kinda

i live down akuna avanue which is over the bridge (that goes over the bypass) the street is kinda been rejected by the rest of our suburb (we are on the other side of the bypas lol) but back to topic um yer the other side of the oval so if you are coming from sutherland you get off the bypass after the woni bridge and tak the bangor exit and akuna is the very first left ( you will if you go there notice the large signs) but yer i live down there and there is a track at the bottom of my street that goes to prince edward park in the woni so it is a bit rocky ( by bit i mean very) and sortoff runs a long a cliff but i reckon with some work it can be rideable

look forward to hearing from you
cheers blake :) :)

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
howdy their blake,i'm a fellow bangorian that has also been looking at some viable cliffs to build off.this track you speak of.would it happen to link up to a fire road that goes all the way up the back of akuna ave.i live just down the road from akuna oval.

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no but if you follow it yer

ok then the fire road finishes at the bottom of koorabar rd (in which i live ) it is at the bottom of koorabar youl see the reserve obviously and go down towards the left where the power lines head to wonni and the trail is there it will go down to cliffage follow along it to the left then there are steps and thats almost it of the cliffs so go check it out im home on thursdays and tuesdays and weekends so will be scoping it out starting some work on it so feel free to check it out

cheers blake:) :)

In the wet

With all the talk about trail building, I thought I'd comment too.

It always pays to have a few looks at the proposed track in different conditions.

Just because it gets built in the 'dry' doesn't mean it is going to drain at all well in the 'wet'.

So if you can, make sure drainage is designed to maximum efficiency.

Work with what nature provides, study it and your work load should decrease in proportion to the amount of fun to be had.

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
aint no probs

hey mate thanks for the advice and on inspection it does drain well (it is kind of on the side of a cliff so go figure) but yer i built some of it in the rain and its sweet a few tweeks here and there and itl be sweet

cheers blake

Kyran

Banned
Heyy thanks mate...

I might be making one soon

This will help a lot... I need to buy a new bike first though haha

Thanks again

j dizzle

Likes Bikes
jsut built a dh trail, and it flows beautifully. rained last night, so we will be building again today. goes for less than a minute, but its an easy walk back up, great dirt. one of the fastest flowing tracks i have ridden. and yes, there are b lines for the obstacles. anyone heard of gilmore, or dougles? yeah its in there.

joel

Seanikans

Likes Bikes
Yer hey i live in bonnet bay if u guys know where that is. Is the bike track in bangor the one down akuna avenue finished yet and are there any jumps on the dh track. also wat bikes u guys riding

Mtorbikes

very good info guys

i just wanted to also add that make sure moto's dont find out about ur track because i have been making a track for the last month and after every day of school i have been going up there making new sections. But recently i have found that a clan of motor bikers have found it and trashed some parts. make sure you all ways make b lines big enough for unwanted guests to pass through. thx againt for the tips on the rock gardens. very helpfull.
ok l8r
NEVER LET UR WHEELS STOP SPINNING

mc_steez

Squid
i dont really worry about moto riders cos a couple of my mates own motos and they regularly ride our track (the track j-dizzle was talking about). They rip up the dirt and can fuck up the berms on our track. But i think it makes the track more exiting if anything. It makes it unpredictable and slippery which can also be really fun.

but if you really want to stop the moto riders ripping your track put a big drop at the bottom of your track or something moto riders cant get past cos usally moto riders go up the track not down. i hope this helps

yer i guess but when they come up in packs of 5 or more on thumpsters then it can b kinda annoying. they r a great help sometimes tho

Zekman

Likes Dirt
Motos and erroison

With the motos if the track isnt straight and nice flowing berms most motos wont ride it as they're not going flat out and they wont do drop offs either or tight single track.With the erroison try to keep the lines a little more flowing if you think a section will have hard braking(if you cant do this as posted before have a good run off for water) or learn how to ride without skidding where most poeples inexperience in riding come out.With steep sections having a good exit from that part will minimise braking if no braking at all and will cause less errosion than a bushwalker walking the same trail.I hope that has been some help.

Cheers
Zekman

J

JaRedy

track building

THanks for the tips, hopefully the tracks I want to build might last a little longer.

JoshP

Likes Dirt
yea thanxz for the great information about builing DH tracks
me and my mates hav just found an old DH track we think it hasnt been used for a good six years maybe, we started clearing out most of the track and we started to build some jumps.
we reakon its gonna be a sick track when its finished but anyway thanxz for the really good info it will come in handy
thanxz:D