How to build a DH track

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My friends and i have been looking around for a while now and we think we have found the perfect spot. it is away from houses and is perfect. but we are not sure if we are to go and get a permit from the council or just build it. can u help us out on this one.:D
the chance of you gettin a permit is next to none, and if you do and they say no, they know u want to build there so its easy for them to find. go for it for it of you can, but i doubt you'll get it.

Middo

Likes Bikes
the main thing to keep in mind when you're building a good dh track is to make sure it has lots of flow to it
Actually, No. You do all the other stuff fist then design the track to suit. When you get it all right, you'll end up with a legal, sustainable, natural track that will stand the test of time. If you don't, it will get closed down, eroded and left unused. Like anything worthwile, learn about it, plan it, build it, then enjoy it. Skip the first two, and you're just going to make the same mistakes over and over......

cluster

Likes Dirt
The story of a DH track...

Gday!
Me and a few mates make heaps of DH trails up in the bush.
We also spend a lot of time fixing them up, and keeping them fresh, so you can imagine our anger :mad: when a couple of local dropkicks with nothing better to do decided it was a good idea to mangle our tracks.
Burms were mashed up, rocks dug out of their gardens, branches and trees felled across the track and worse! :eek:

Anyway, the moral of the story is this: HIDE YOUR TRACKS!
:rolleyes:(the start AND end of them)

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gday!
Me and a few mates make heaps of DH trails up in the bush.
We also spend a lot of time fixing them up, and keeping them fresh, so you can imagine our anger :mad: when a couple of local dropkicks with nothing better to do decided it was a good idea to mangle our tracks.
Burms were mashed up, rocks dug out of their gardens, branches and trees felled across the track and worse! :eek:

Anyway, the moral of the story is this: HIDE YOUR TRACKS!
:rolleyes:(the start AND end of them)
absolutely

BurkeDog10

Likes Bikes
hey guys havnt had time to read through this thouroughly but a quick question!
the only thing steep in my town is the river bank and it goes for about 5 metres! not a reall big ride at all! so i was just wondering can you build a DH track goin diagonally across the bank and then would that be an efficient "first timer" track!

Cheers

Howie66

Likes Dirt
hey guys havnt had time to read through this thouroughly but a quick question!
the only thing steep in my town is the river bank and it goes for about 5 metres! not a reall big ride at all! so i was just wondering can you build a DH track goin diagonally across the bank and then would that be an efficient "first timer" track!

Cheers

Ummm no dude. If you own a jump bike id make a jump at the top and use it as a place to practise backflips etc.. Sorta like a foam pit.

But as for a DH, track, nah dude.

lbroy

Likes Dirt
thanks for the tips guys, i'm just about to make a dh track on an old walking track that will be about a 5-10 minute run, all those tips will be great:).

old4dy

Likes Dirt
Another good hint is if where you are building their are termite nests about. Dig them up perfect for jumps berms etc. Save s awhole heap of time not having to transport or dig out from somewhere.

jermunty

Squid
do you folks know of any literature other than the imba book that i can aquire for extra schmooeee track design?

adman111

Cannon Fodder
I've built my own downhill track on my property and it's great because it incorporates the land all the time. Most of the jumps are big because they start at the top of a rock drop into a step down, or because you jump over fallen trees. It makes it really cool to build the track with the landscape if possible, instead of jump ordering in a whole heap of dirt, wood and nails and make it completely yourself.

good dh/xc trails around the goulburn valley (vic)

thanks for the great advive will take it onboard wen building nxt time. sorry to get off track but Does anyone know of any good trails around the goulburn valley?
thanks guys.

Trenton

Likes Dirt
Sorry about a bit of a Grave dig but please forgive me.

This is Excellent advice and tips on making a downhill track, I found a perfect spot near a beach in this bush sort of thing and it happens to end in a fire road?!!!! It's also a single track with loads of berms! (well soon to be berms but perfect turns/corners)

Just wondering if anybody would be able to me with this question.......................How would you possibly remove a bit of sand from the tracks, I am thinking dig it out a little bit till I hit dirt or just smooth it and then put some other dirt on top of it?

Thanks a lot

Trenton

jermunty

Squid
placing dirt on top is not going to help too much probably a combo of the two or just having some mad ass dips sounds like fun

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry about a bit of a Grave dig but please forgive me.

This is Excellent advice and tips on making a downhill track, I found a perfect spot near a beach in this bush sort of thing and it happens to end in a fire road?!!!! It's also a single track with loads of berms! (well soon to be berms but perfect turns/corners)

Just wondering if anybody would be able to me with this question.......................How would you possibly remove a bit of sand from the tracks, I am thinking dig it out a little bit till I hit dirt or just smooth it and then put some other dirt on top of it?

Thanks a lot

Trenton
sand doesnt go too bad on berms, unless they're shallow and not very steep, otherwise you'll wash out easily. prefferably you dont want sand, so dig it out with a shovel, thats the only way.