How to build a DH track

thanks for the information plow king, now i know a bit more on making down hill tracks, so ill put my knowledge to use and make one.

t-robb

Likes Bikes
Thanks heaps for this information on downhill track building, Its Brilliant, I just want to get out there and finish off tracks that I've started. Something that i find handy when scouting out a good location, once you have found a good area, look it up on Google Maps or Google Earth to make sure there are no houses or property's nearby that you couldn't see from ground level. Some of the tools on there can also show you if it private land or not (boundary lines and labels saying what that land is for)

sleight

Likes Bikes
thanks for the track tips boss, although im not quite sure how you can 'bush bash' with out stepping on any vegeatation! Building will be heaps more productive with all these tips in mind, thanks again.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice guide mate, just a little tip I've picked up along the way..

When picking up rocks and you don't know whats underneath, kick it or roll it with your boot so you can see what's underneath. This way you won't get your fingers bitten off by something nasty (you can also do this with some logs aswell).

fyurin

Squid
Cheers

Really good information. I found the location points very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to write it up for inexperienced riders such as myself :)

Wolfgang D

Likes Dirt
Nice thread

hey, ive read this a few times now and it certainly highlights some good points.
I'm currently building two tracks, one right behind my house (its more of a fun pumpish sort of track with some really high northshore and jumps, log rides, etc) and another one thats a proper DH thing.
On the DH track its all really lose topsoil and not much in the way of rocks and roots. the berms i've built tend to be really soft and spongey and its possible to blast through even the bigger ones ive made. should i cart in better dirt like clay or just dig them in deeper until I hit something harder?

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
sorry about this.. huge grave dig. but i need some information and didnt want to start a new thread..
I really want to have just a short DH track near my house that i can muck around on after school, since the closest one is a 15 minute drive and i dont have a car, so i can only get out there on weekends when my parents can take me. i have found a place that would be great for DH within a 10 minute ride from my house but not sure if i should build in there.. Theres walking tracks through there already, but not sure if i should be creating new ones. im also not sure what kind of park it is as there is nothing about it on google maps. i know i probably shouldn't be building in there, but i get in a really bad mood if i don't/cant ride.. i wouldnt be building anything big, just a simple track i can have a bit of fun on after school. What should i do?!
P.s dont really want to be giving out locations..
Thanks !

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
sorry about this.. huge grave dig. but i need some information and didnt want to start a new thread..
I really want to have just a short DH track near my house that i can muck around on after school, since the closest one is a 15 minute drive and i dont have a car, so i can only get out there on weekends when my parents can take me. i have found a place that would be great for DH within a 10 minute ride from my house but not sure if i should build in there.. Theres walking tracks through there already, but not sure if i should be creating new ones. im also not sure what kind of park it is as there is nothing about it on google maps. i know i probably shouldn't be building in there, but i get in a really bad mood if i don't/cant ride.. i wouldnt be building anything big, just a simple track i can have a bit of fun on after school. What should i do?!
P.s dont really want to be giving out locations..
Thanks !
2 options.
1. The wrong way: go covert but be prepared to face the music or loose all your hard work if you get caught.
2. The Right way: Contact council and find out who owns/ manages the land, then start discussions. Will take longer but you get something built properly that wont get closed down. Depending on a lot of factors including location and ownership this could be a quick and easy process or it could be mission impossible

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
2 options.
1. The wrong way: go covert but be prepared to face the music or loose all your hard work if you get caught.
2. The Right way: Contact council and find out who owns/ manages the land, then start discussions. Will take longer but you get something built properly that wont get closed down. Depending on a lot of factors including location and ownership this could be a quick and easy process or it could be mission impossible
Ive thought about contacting the council but I don't think they would listen to me since I'm only young.. I guess you never know though!

try the DSE interactive forest explorer. all kinds of layers and info you can apply to the map. B.c.
With that I'd say you'd at least be able to work out what kind of land it is.
http://nremap-sc.nre.vic.gov.au/MapShare.v2/imf.jsp?site=forestexplorer
Ill definatly have a look at that, thanks. Are there any certain parks I shouldnt even think about building on?

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
2 options.
Im always an advocate of doing it the proper way but i suspect if you go down this route by the time its all gone though you will have passed your driving test ;)

At least however you will have created a legacy that the other kids in the area can use

Wolfgang D

Likes Dirt
Working out what you can build on can be a bit tricky sometimes...
As a start, dont build on anything with 'park' in it! haha wether it's state park or national park = wont end well. also steer clear of any reserve like area.
If it's state forest you'd almost definitely get away with it. Crown land may be possible as well but you'd have to talk to the land holder if its leased and if its unleased crown land I'm not really sure to be honest!
If you print yourself off a map of the area and head into your local DSE office yoa could also have a chat with them, but if they say no and you still decide to build my bet is they'll probably be keeping an eye on the area. same goes for council.
good luck!

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
thanks for that guys! the first place i was thinking of is a national park, so probably wont bother with that one.. there is another place but im pretty sure its a reserve so i might try contact the council :decision:

Last edited:

Wolfgang D

Likes Dirt
what sort of reserve? like wildlife/fauna reserve or more of a public reserve?
If its the first, it probabaly wouldnt even be worth making the effort to go to the council offices! almost definite no.
If the area is a public reserve then it would probably be worth while making the effort to contact the council. I have a mate that lives across the road from a reserve (in a really small town) and he has the all clear to build a set of dirt jumps if he keeps it neat. but im not sure if its the same sort of reserve....

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
what sort of reserve? like wildlife/fauna reserve or more of a public reserve?
If its the first, it probabaly wouldnt even be worth making the effort to go to the council offices! almost definite no.
If the area is a public reserve then it would probably be worth while making the effort to contact the council. I have a mate that lives across the road from a reserve (in a really small town) and he has the all clear to build a set of dirt jumps if he keeps it neat. but im not sure if its the same sort of reserve....
Im not really sure what sort of reserve it is.. It might be more of a public one. I have contacted the council and am waiting for a reply.
Well see!