How to build DJ's

biggyjimmy

Cannon Fodder
Logs under Dirt

Do you put stuff under the dirt like logs,crates,rocks???
I do but they fall apart after about 5 goes at the jump.

Thanks christop:cool:
When using logs as a base undere the jump, be sure it isnt old and rotted out. If the log is rotten, you can find that the weight of the jump will eventually crush the log and ruin the jump.
So i would steer clear of uing logs under the jump.
Rocks work well, but the best is just more dirt.

specialized07

Likes Bikes
our dirt = hard

hey we found a heaps good location for some trails and dirt jumps and the rest
its got access to water about 10 metres away but the only problem is that the dirt is really hard:(. after about 2 hours of digging we only got and upramp done and its only waist height. we have tried digging pits but the best we can do is get about ten centimetres down and even doing that takes all the effort out of us. any suggestions would be awsome.
cheers sam:D

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
hey we found a heaps good location for some trails and dirt jumps and the rest
its got access to water about 10 metres away but the only problem is that the dirt is really hard:(. after about 2 hours of digging we only got and upramp done and its only waist height. we have tried digging pits but the best we can do is get about ten centimetres down and even doing that takes all the effort out of us. any suggestions would be awsome.
cheers sam:D
Hey Sam,

Are you only using shovels? If so it is probably worth your while to go and buy a pick. It will allow you to be able to loosen dirt quickly and effectively. If you have a pick, then maybe use the side which is not curved to puncture holes into the ground. Following that, get a bucket of water or maybe a watering can and douse the area with water, leave it for a little bit - have a rest or work on something else - come back and the water should hopefully have penetrated the dirt and made it a little easier to work with/ dig.

A little less efficient would be to get a wheel barrow, find a spot with nice dirt which is easy to access and shovel it into the wheelbarrow to transport to your jump. Quite time consuming and usually very irritating but always an option.

ethan_woni

Likes Bikes
my s*** jumps

yeah man nice jumps, look like good fun.
you would alll probablylaugh at my jumps, they are built inthe worst place. its a trail about 4 metres wide, and its built on a massvie hill.

the ground is full of rocks so its a pain in the arse to ride on/dig so weve built only 3 jumps about 1 foot tall.

rider_jake

Likes Dirt
cheers man this thread has helped heaps. at our local jumps all the lips get recked really quickly and the only lip thats lasted is the one i hand packed and its kept its shape without cracking for over 4 months of abuse from riders and little kids running over it.:)

dj kid

Likes Bikes
hey man that info is great! can u tell me where it is coz they look like some good jumps?? thanx man

NeeBean

Likes Dirt
Hey thanks for the ideas, iv been looking for a good spot for a while and nothing is showing up. I live in Eltham and every time people build some new jumps the council knocks them down. Its rediculous. IM moving to Canada!

lomba

Squid
hey mate........... how far do you rekon a set of jumps should be apart from the DR to the UR?????? :confused:

willipa

Likes Dirt
hey mate........... how far do you rekon a set of jumps should be apart from the DR to the UR?????? :confused:
Not too close, if you overshoot you don't want to land on the next jump. Not too far that you loose momentum. Best just to experiment there is no set distance. If you build them too far apart you can always add a roller in the middle. :)

CJ-666

Likes Bikes
It all depends on how high the jumps are, if they are going down hill or if you want to connect them as rhythms. I've built some different ones on different locations but if you are cutting rhythms through a heavily tree'd area then make sure you cut a wide enough track. Speaking from bad experiences building little jumps, I think their were about 4 - 5 in a row and about 1.5 metres apart and I hit the second and third ones off-line and played ping-pong with the trees.

But yeah their is no real specs to judge distances except, build a jump and try it. If it's too far or too short you will find out quick smart. I started out with a small tabletop and then cut the middle out and used the extra dirt to build up the UR and extend the DR.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Really good info from the first post I will be using some of the points in the future.

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate, thanks for the tips, do you have any comment/sugestons on building Tabletops?
REASON:

The local trails are used by kids, if they can't ride a jump they pull it down or add pallets in between to make a table top, COMPLETLY ruenig the jump. But if they

a. Crash bad
b. Get annoyed when we put in a bigger set
c. Show there mates

The word of the jumps will get out, and then were stuffed!

Pleases help?

CJ-666

Likes Bikes
comment/sugestons on building Tabletops?
The easiest way I used to build up the center of a jump was to use crap loads of old tyres. It was cause people used to dump them in the bush near the jumps.
It was heaps easier than filling the center up with dirt. Or just build some little ones that people can use without caring if they get stuffed.
Another way I used was to dig out the dirt in front of the up and down ramps so that you don't need to cut as much out of the center, but keep in mind this really only works for smaller type rhythm jumps (other-wise it would take you forever to make a big enough UR and DR's.

CRANK_kona

Likes Bikes
My Dj's

im planning on building a trail which goes to a DH track onto DJ's it includes: 3m gaps taple tops, berms, rhythems spines a 360* wallride and heaps more
the DH track is made up of berms, 1.5m drops gaps all made of wood and natural recources. i havent started making it yet but ive designed it. When i do then DH track to enter the DJ's how should it start e.g berm jump gap drop
what bike should i use to do this
thanks.:D

Jim21

Squid
thanks for this great piece of info, i'm building some DJ's soon, i got a massive pile of clay and a bobcat and lil excavator to move all my dirt and make burms:D
i'm on flat land but i have enough dirt and enough HP to make a good run in, hope it works:)

Hey thanks for the info, i've been experimenting with fallen trees on the trail for the UR and it works pretty well, but do you have any tips on how to shape a jump for distance rather then height, i've tried with ski drop downs but they don't work too well especially if the person trying it hits the DR...any pointers??