How to convert Giant Anthem 2014 to XT 12 mm through axle wheels.

Derm

Squid
I have a 2014 Giant Anthem with a screw in type rear axle. I screw in the wheel retention device (it's like a qr, but screws in) The frame has a fitting on the right side to take the thread of the (qr) that's removable via an allen bolt. There's another on the left side to take the thin rod of the (qr).
These can be removed to take a 12mm axle. But I cannot see how the bigger outer diameter of the xt wheel axle will fit in there. ??
If this thread is already going somewhere can you point it to me please. Pretty please. ?

dug8713

Likes Dirt
Got curious as to what you're asking so I did a quick Google search. Found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5F70xpZLF0

Sounds like you need the 142 x 12mm axle conversion chips and the Giant specific DT Swiss 142 axle. The chips should be sized to accommodate the larger outer diameter of the XT 142mm axle.

It'll be interesting to see what the thread pitch and the length of the Giant specific DT Swiss axle is. If you find the specs, I've got a Shimano 142 x 12mm axle I can measure up to see if you can use them instead. Sounds like they'd be much easier to source than the Giant axle.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Its a kit you can order from your Giant dealer I think . The Duckmeister will be able to confirm or dispel .

acads

Likes Dirt
Hi Derm,

I've got the same bike and have converted to a 12mm thru axle a while ago.

As mentioned you will need the kit from your local Giant store. It consists of replacement adapters that simply replace your existing ones. Be warned the allan key head (2mm) is made from soft cheese that has been left in the sun to melt and has the structural rigidity of plasticine.

The thru axle has a particular thread that is bespoke to Giant, the shimano, DT swiss version don't work.

Its not a bad modification, it wont be a night and day difference and its subtle but its there.

Dug, no go on the Shimano axle

Adam

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Not all Giant hubs can be converted.
I've heard that too. I was looking to convert to 142x12 on my Trance but I have a feeling that the Giant 'Tracker Sports Disc' hub on the PXC2 wheelset can't be converted from 135x5, even though the frame can be changed over.

Is the difference in axle types that noticeable when riding?

acads

Likes Dirt
I've heard that too. I was looking to convert to 142x12 on my Trance but I have a feeling that the Giant 'Tracker Sports Disc' hub on the PXC2 wheelset can't be converted from 135x5, even though the frame can be changed over.

Is the difference in axle types that noticeable when riding?
Correct Nambra, PXC2 hubs cant be converted. You will need a 142x12 hub.

I've got a set of PXCR1 Giant wheels with the giant/DTSwiss hub (12x142) and they have proven to be an excellent wheelset. Over 6k of off road with little maintenance.

I did it a while ago but I think around $70 covered the kit and axle.

adam

Nambra

Correct Nambra, PXC2 hubs cant be converted. You will need a 142x12 hub.

I've got a set of PXCR1 Giant wheels with the giant/DTSwiss hub (12x142) and they have proven to be an excellent wheelset. Over 6k of off road with little maintenance.

I did it a while ago but I think around $70 covered the kit and axle.

adam
Thanks for confirming acads, sounds like I need to treat my PXC2 wheelset as disposable, and go 142x12 when it's time to upgrade to something that is serviceable. That whole custom Giant thread on the 142x12 axle is a bit of a con isn't it - someone should start CNC'ing up the dropout component with the standard DT Swiss thread.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Only just saw this little nudge...
Its a kit you can order from your Giant dealer I think . The Duckmeister will be able to confirm or dispel .
Yes, find your nearest Giant dealer & order through them.

And rear Q/R ends are 10mm, not 9....

For those querying the convertibility of Giant hubs, the '14 model lower-spec ones cannot be converted, but better models can be; the impression I've been given is that from '15 onward even the cheapies can be converted.

Last edited:
I am in the process of doing this also on my 2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 1.

Got told today I need

1. 142mm x 12mm dropout $22
  2. 12mm Giant Brand theough axle to match thread - $64
  3. New Hanger (Not seen this required before) - Anyone confirm?

Nambra