How to deal with your local Council.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
To be honest, I think leaving those signs up would have been a better option.

Makes it clear who pulled the jumps down and why. Maybe a few riders will go on to speak to Council then about why and what can be done for legal trails......and so the process to legal trails starts.

ruffin1

Likes Dirt
i hate the council

the council is Geelong has recently demolished the dh tracks in my local area. There were some very good tracks and jumps made up but they demolished them with a bulldozer. their excuse was for (conservation). but they did more harm then good with the fucking bulldozer....

fuck i hate the council in my area

Mojo

Likes Dirt
the council is Geelong has recently demolished the dh tracks in my local area. There were some very good tracks and jumps made up but they demolished them with a bulldozer. their excuse was for (conservation). but they did more harm then good with the fucking bulldozer....

fuck i hate the council in my area
haha i think the the term they should use is litagation. if anyone can prove to me how destroying single trcak with a bulldozer in regards to conservation i'll lick my elbow. i find it hard sometimes when guys are out building tracks for a great sport and not out stealing or taking drugs or painting graffiti, they still decide to stop them. everything by the book i suppose

Dazed&Confuzed

Likes Dirt
We (Central Coast Ourimbah Mountain Bike Club) have been talking with Wyong Shire Council about off road cycling facilities in the Wyong Shire. Their comment is that they do not like "doubles" and will normally knock them down. On the plus side they have constructed the San Remo Extreme Park.
A few people rode it and found that it was not really suited to MTBs.
We have spoken to them recently and Brett Barnes has submitted a proposal to alter the Park in the form of a purpose built 4X (MTNX) track and to upgrade the dual slalom track. The feedback has been positive and we are waiting for the results of the proposal.
A new sports field is being built at Wadalba (5 minutes east of Wyong) and a BMX/MTB Jump park is included. The construction of this is being finalised by Brett Barnes.
These facilities are a foot in the door and may (hopefully) be the start of more such facilities in the area.

Is there any way to get permission to rebuild jumps?

A few mates and I built some jumps and the council demolished them when they put in a street light on the road the trail leads off. We want to rebuild them but we want them like they were and we don't want all our time and effort wasted by the jumps getting wrecked again.. we just thought it was odd because there was some guy from the council there when we built them.

Tom

Last edited:

goodo_123

Likes Bikes
thanks for the advice fellers i have had a fare bit of trouble with the local council when building trails and there as even been a couple of newspaper articles writin about them so il have to try that.

ando_freeagent

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, it is best to get council permission.
Other wise you get these:

(they are shrunk images, fullsize available at bottom of page)
There were 3 of those set up, there are none now cos we took it upon ourselves to remove them.

If we see any BMX riders, we shall inform them not to ride the track. Shame since I have not once seen a BMXer riding that trail.

It wasn't really a trail anyway, it was conveniently placed bumps (they were already there too!), we put in ONE berm which they destroyed. It WAS quite a nice trail until they wrecked it the first time. We rebuilt, now some prick has had them destroyed again. Asshole :mad:

There was an local who keeps calling us in about the track, so we're gonna fix him good....
yea me and some mates got one of these on our trail we had a lil downhill track with northshore section and we had a bridge over the trail into another section etc. its a shame no one was on bmx who was riding it

azlex

Squid
great suggestions, i'll need to try alot of these because everywhere i have built has been destroyed with threatening signs

Twelve

Likes Dirt
Me nd a few mates attempted to build some dirt jumps on council property and pretty much straight away they where destroyed, we thought that if we tried again to build more the council would just destroy everything again so we decided to give up on the council and build a track in our own property and this didnt turn out very well. we thought that we needed more room so we set out again to find somewhere new and found a hidden place to build. these jumps havent been destroyed yet.
thanks for the help

Nmag

Likes Dirt
Council hate structures and doubles. Make track look like it is for walking and more people will like it. Put doubles and structures on private land.

Last edited:

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt
Anyone in the Knox Area Council as rejected 2 plans to build wanting to build DJ tracks??? Because im getting sick of riding around the street jumping gutters and speed bumps:mad::mad::(

Last edited:

Ek155

Likes Dirt
Where do NSW regional parks go into all of this?
I was looking at starting a trail in a well hidden area of a regional park, are they the same as national parks?

twc

Likes Dirt
Thanks alot for the advice, i am thinking about building some dj's and that really helps. cheers, tom

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Where do NSW regional parks go into all of this?
I was looking at starting a trail in a well hidden area of a regional park, are they the same as national parks?
Can you clarify what a regional park is? I haven't come across the term. Do you know who the authority that manages it is?

Middo

Likes Bikes
He could have meant a State Recreation Area - still managed by NPWS. It allows higher impact (visitor useage) in less sensitive areas, generally speaking.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
The answer would be, if it doesn't have the land managers approval.....DON'T.

As for State Recreation Areas. They no longer exist, well they do but the name has changed to State Conservation Area. Generally speaking you can ride in these areas on most management roads and single trail where signposted.

The current cycling policy won't allow you to build in these areas unless you have a regional manager that is able to get it into the POM. No easy task as it means moving away from the current park policy.

Ek155

Likes Dirt
Hey,
The only thing that is confusing me that there is a number of well know (shit) "illegal" dirt jump areas in the park, and also a few DH trails that i am sure that the ranger knows about, and none of them have been destroyed in the time i have been riding (about a year know). Its just i am wanting to build some DJ trails without the riding community around knowing about them (except me and my mates) because i don't want them to be destroyed from overuse.....