"How To" Forum

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok first off, i am by no means an excellent rider. Sure, i can bomb a hill fast enough (a 21kg bike takes care of that), but beyond actually riding my bike i consider myself a useless noob. Hence, i propose a "How To" forum. This could cover riding in all disciplines, but also HOME MAINTENANCE of one's bike.

This last one is probably a bit pathetic at first glance as the internet/local bike shops are a massive resource for finding out how to maintain my ride. However, i have always found it difficult to sift through the crap to find things actually relevant to proper mountain biking. Compound this with my dissatisfaction at forking out $80 to my LBS to more often than not have a few bolts tightened and then be told my bike is fine.

Basically the forum could be comprised of two main categories: riding and maintenance. These could then further be subcategorised to whatever specificity.

I realise that there is a bunch of information on this very site covering everything from bunnyhops to brake bleeds, but it would be so useful to have them all in the one place! An alternative might therefore be an addition to the "Parts and Stuff" forum rather than creation of a whole new section, where they could be in folders in much the same way as the "For Sale" section.

Anyway obviously no problem here, just me whinging about how rubbish i am at bike maintenance!! Any directional feedback to somewhere informative where i might be... informed would be sweet also, cheers!

driftking

Wheel size expert
Sounds like a good idea. but ultimately its upto the mods.
There are alot of questions that come up about "how to" and alot of the time they are already covered. If people searched however they should find them. I think it would be nice to have them sorted so locating them is easier, also im sure it would mean that those too lazy to search would check there first before posting so it would hopefully limit the pointless already covered threads.

Slank

Likes Bikes
The first sticky could be how to search. :)

I think it would be a great idea especially if it just contained threads on how to do something without having a bunch of subsequent questions not always related to the original thread. Maybe have the actual howto's as sticky's and then questions raised as seperate threads.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think this would be good as it would group everything together rather than having it scattered around the "parts n stuff" thread. I love watching "Tech Tuesday" on Pinkbike. Ive searched a few times for different how to questions but they always only cover one specific question, not the whole process.

In saying that if you youtube most questions you can ussually get the answer you're looking for.

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Sounds like a great idea, maybe you could also do a weekly thing where each week you advance. eg. Week 1 - Manuals, Week 2 - Manual to hop

mlsred

Likes Dirt
I know this has been raised before, it all comes down to having someone who is willing to manage it on a regular basis. We obviously don't want just every one posting things up in the section, it would have to be monitored fairly carefully so people have a database of actual useful advice from people who have experience.

I would be more than happy to moderate the forum and check over the "how to" threads, being a qualified bike mechanic I would also be able to provide articles myself, so if any moderators would like to get the ball rolling count me in.

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^^ exactly the sortof thing i was thinking. now we just need a mod to read it haha

As a mature scrub looking to not embarrass himself on, or around, a bike this thread is relevant to my interests.

Last edited: