jonot

Likes Dirt
Keep it bone dry?
Put Betadine on it?
Undiluted Dettol? Yes, this has happened to me before :eek:

John U

MTB Precision
this is what i was told.
put betadine on when it first happens to fill any germs. don't keep putting it on because betadine kills all germs and bacteria including the good ones that do the healing. same with dettol.

i then try to take good care of the scab. if a can keep the same scab on the wound the whole time while it's healing it heals quicker. i do this by putting some sorbolene on it before i get in the shower. this moisturises the scab giving it some flexibility and sort of protects it from the water. wash it and dry it carefully. sorbolene can also be used as a subtitute for soap so it sort acts like soap as well.
this works for me. it may not work for you.
don't be too heavy handed with the sorbolene as you may end up with ingrown hairs around the wound.

not getting it wet is pretty hard so i find having a reasonable way of dealing with it getting wet works best.

this method should only be used with shallow wounds like grazes, not deep gashes.

jonot

Likes Dirt
John U said:
this is what i was told.
put betadine on when it first happens to fill any germs. don't keep putting it on because betadine kills all germs and bacteria including the good ones that do the healing. same with dettol.

i then try to take good care of the scab. if a can keep the same scab on the wound the whole time while it's healing it heals quicker. i do this by putting some sorbolene on it before i get in the shower. this moisturises the scab giving it some flexibility and sort of protects it from the water. wash it and dry it carefully. sorbolene can also be used as a subtitute for soap so it sort acts like soap as well.
this works for me. it may not work for you.
don't be too heavy handed with the sorbolene as you may end up with ingrown hairs around the wound.

not getting it wet is pretty hard so i find having a reasonable way of dealing with it getting wet works best.

this method should only be used with shallow wounds like grazes, not deep gashes.
Thanks for that.

Will try the Sorbolene idea.

ona rampage

Likes Dirt
In terms of cleaning up the wound, I find hydrogen peroxide is the king! It was recommended to me by a student nurse, as one of the few things that still kills all germs (arguably a number of germs have grown immune to dettol). Stings like a bitch, foams up really nicely, and gets rid of bacteria.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
after spending a term studying hydrogen peroxide, doing decomposition experiments among others, i wouldn't be too keen to put it onto a wound. it will kill anything in there (it's basically bleach), it will also kill a fair amount of flesh it comes into contact with.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
I use Hydrogen Peroxide too, but only when it first happens.... it will kill the new skin that is growing.

I find that is stops the wound from oozing/bleeding too much... but of course, it's not "by the book" technique, so I'd only use it on myself or my kids.....

If you do get an infection, another hit with the HP will clean it up quick.... but don't keep using it.

As I already said, this is definitely NOT what is currently recommended for wound management.... but it sure works for me.

Gravjunkie

Likes Dirt
Try isopropyl alchohol or maybe a blowtorch or just hit yourself in the head with a hammer, you'll soon forget about that nasty little graze.

Dale666

Likes Dirt
Taken from Scars thread http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=45797 (couldnt be fud re-typing):

Paraffin Wax:Most chemists can make this for you if not on shelf. Apply to any fresh scab. Provides moisture into the scab allowing it to flex and not get crusty and tear. Scab will fall of in half the usual time.

A Cortisone Based Ointment Any ointment or cream that contains Hydro-cortisone acetate (common in treatment for skin infections). Contains the steroid Cortisone in low levels. Prescription needed in NSW not sure in others. Stimulates new cell growth in damaged areas. Will not clear up old scars but when applied on fresh scars as soon as the scab comes off it will except in extreme cases clear up visible scarring.

After destroying my face 2years ago (dont huck on xc rig) and requiring a long visit to Westmead plastic dept. Above is what I was told to use by my surgeon. I have now nearly no visible scarring except for a spot on my chin. This only took 4 weeks to heal.

Attachments

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's one savage graze Dale666
Best way around grazes is not to get them.
Denim jeans and a long sleeve tee or hoodie.
Either that or just don't crash;)

daddyrat

Likes Dirt
A good homeopathicfor open wounds incl. burns is callendula.
for bruises and inflammation use arnica.
both come as ointments .u can get them at health food shops or some alternative health centers.
i have used both for a long time now and they are heaps better than all these cemicals.
natural you know.

Drizz

Likes Dirt
Paw Paw ointment seems to work well to help scab form. It gels to your wound and form a second layer of protection over your scab.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
BrumbyJack said:
I use Hydrogen Peroxide too, but only when it first happens.... it will kill the new skin that is growing.
This is also my choice - very useful when you step on coral in a very humid environment, like Indo. Hurts like fark though, but its cool watching all the shit fizzle around. Like Jacko said, use only when it happens, not after.

action man

Likes Bikes
ok here is the best way i have found to heal grazes (shallow wounds) quickly.

soon after the accident wash the wound in the shower and make sure you get rid of all the dirt and crap in there, use a scrubbing brush if necessary. if will sting like a bitch, but you have to have a clean wound to promote good healing.

if you have hairy limbs, then remove the hair surounding the wound. this helps to keep a clean healing environment and also allows the dressing to stick to your skin. also hair provides a growing environment for bad bacteria thats why they shave you before and operation. use clippers, but i find a razor is best.

get yourself some of those fancy membrane dressings from the pharmacy, the ones that are like sticky glad-wrap and have an absorbent pad in the middle. (just ask the pharmacist and they will know what your are talking about) get one big enough to cover the entire wound. they are waterproof and very comfortable to wear and work by keeping bad tings out of the wound and keeping all the good things in.

stick it on carefully taking care to avoid and wrinkles and creases in the dressing.

leave it on until it basically falls off. in the first couple of days with will be nearly every 18-24 hours due to the amount of weeping from the wound. this will dry up after the first few days and the dressings will stay on longer and longer for up to 3-4 days.

sure the dressings can be a bit exxy, but i reakon they are worth the money as they make wounds heal faster with les pain and without the inconvenience of having to worry about knocking a scab off by accident. it also helps having both parents as pharmacists to supply you with previously mentioned dressings.

good luck

STS01

Likes Dirt
action man said:
ok here is the best way i have found to heal grazes (shallow wounds) quickly.

soon after the accident wash the wound in the shower and make sure you get rid of all the dirt and crap in there, use a scrubbing brush if necessary. if will sting like a bitch, but you have to have a clean wound to promote good healing.

if you have hairy limbs, then remove the hair surounding the wound. this helps to keep a clean healing environment and also allows the dressing to stick to your skin. also hair provides a growing environment for bad bacteria thats why they shave you before and operation. use clippers, but i find a razor is best.

get yourself some of those fancy membrane dressings from the pharmacy, the ones that are like sticky glad-wrap and have an absorbent pad in the middle. (just ask the pharmacist and they will know what your are talking about) get one big enough to cover the entire wound. they are waterproof and very comfortable to wear and work by keeping bad tings out of the wound and keeping all the good things in.

stick it on carefully taking care to avoid and wrinkles and creases in the dressing.

leave it on until it basically falls off. in the first couple of days with will be nearly every 18-24 hours due to the amount of weeping from the wound. this will dry up after the first few days and the dressings will stay on longer and longer for up to 3-4 days.

sure the dressings can be a bit exxy, but i reakon they are worth the money as they make wounds heal faster with les pain and without the inconvenience of having to worry about knocking a scab off by accident. it also helps having both parents as pharmacists to supply you with previously mentioned dressings.

good luck

I'm an Emergency doctor so I see plenty of this stuff. I agree 100% with action man.

You need to rinse / scrub it (yes it will hurt. A lot) then seal it with a clean dressing. The ones he's talking about are called Opsite and you can get them at the chemist- you need to get ones with the white pad under them, otherwise get stuff called Meloliteto use as the pad bit. There is also stuff called Adaptic which is like a greasy gauze. The best wound dressing is graze>Adaptic>Melolite (or the pad on opsite)>Opsite. Then leave it all in place for about 3-4 days.

Don't clean the wound with Peroxide or strong antibacterial stuff- as people have mentioned, it just kills the skin cells and delays healing.

I'll probably upset a few of the more 'herbal' types here but don't put any alternative potions onto broken skin- they aren't necessarily sterile and they won't make it heal any quicker.

PS If it's more than 10 years since you had one, get a tetanus shot from your GP sometime. It's better to have it before your next big stack...

m_g

Likes Dirt
medicinal honey (get it at chemists) is supposed to be awesome for cuts, wounds and burns...havent tried it myself but friends rave about it...

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Metho.. kills all the bacteria etc and makes it heal nice and quick... stings like a bitch for a while though.

naz

Criminally Inane
dude either liquid bandaids or the equivilant bandaid advance things, i swear they heal so quick and u just put it on and leave it till it heals, fine in the shower and shit too

pommiebiker

Likes Bikes
I mashed my elbow pretty well last weekend but thanks to my nurse chick its healed really well. She used one of the pads action man mentioned and a bandage just to protect the dressing a bit. after a couple of days we took that off, it dried and now the scab is coming off. Tops. Means I can ride again this weekend, although I'm not so sure the chick is too happy about that ....:D

Ivan

Eats Squid
And don´t smoke.........cigarettes or weed, they both slow down the healing process a lot. I am being serious you know.:D