How to How to GoPro.... Bible

Minlak

custom titis
I did another 4 runs today, changed a few settings and have now discarded the vloggers settings.

Today was severely overcast, I literally did not see a glimpse of the sun all day. Also didn't see any 'blue' but the GoPro colour on my vid shows some blue.

Changed the Loam Rangers standard flat settings to SUPERVIEW from his recommendations of WIDE.

I then did 2 runs, my settings on 1600 ISO max and then 3200 ISO max. The 1600 was too dark on an overcast day. Though both videos are dark, but pretty realistic to what it looked like out there today.

View attachment 367760

Check out the 2 below, foam rangers and my settings as above on a non-sunny day. The only difference now I moved the ISO max up to 3200 is the Colour and WB.

Top one is mine, bottom is the foam rangers. Play at the same time in 4K or 1440.

Are you post processing or are they direct result from the camera?

Mattyp

Cows go boing
i'll watch with interest, being in lockdown i cant get out to MTB, but as soon as we get the green light it'll be 2.5weeks up in the high country. So be good to have some settings to aim for with zero testing time.

Minlak

custom titis
Zero processing, thats them straight off the camera.
The settings that Loam Ranger suggests are meant to be used in conjunction with color grading and processing before being uploaded - if you want to just take from camera and upload I don’t think his will work the best.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The settings that Loam Ranger suggests are meant to be used in conjunction with color grading and processing before being uploaded - if you want to just take from camera and upload I don’t think his will work the best.
I have done some small processing adjustments with a few clips of his, colouring, white balance, contrast, brightness ect... they look really good.

What this is about is finding base settings where I can shoot everything and only have to make a tiny adjustment to 1 or maybe 2 settings or use minimal processing between a sunny day or an overcast day.

So far the Foam Rangers flat settings give zero dark spots or sun shimmer... pretty good but that's what happens when both him and his missus are Pro Photographers.

BTW the 'Foam Ranger' is what we nicknamed #2 son, when he was caught giving the Loam Rangers little 'yeows' while riding features and wearing a chest mount at Maydena. The Foam Ranger name then evolved to Foamy, so in my house now, both #2 son and the real Loam Ranger are known as Foamy :p

ozzybmx

The preset colour schemes on CPD are pretty good as it is, right click, enhance and pick a preset, then there's an 'apply to all' button if you want to apply to all the vids on the timeline.

Takes all of 10 seconds to lighten/colour the whole video.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

Really hanging out for the max lens mod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
A small selection of grabs from my recent trip, thanks for the setup tips. Ended up with 4k 50fps, Wide, HyperSmooth on a 30s duration and quick capture. In the future I'll go back to 1080 (first photo) as this lets me get the grab from the low res preview in the app without having to download every video file.

Minlak

custom titis
A small selection of grabs from my recent trip, thanks for the setup tips. Ended up with 4k 50fps, Wide, HyperSmooth on a 30s duration and quick capture. In the future I'll go back to 1080 (first photo) as this lets me get the grab from the low res preview in the app without having to download every video file.

View attachment 367782

View attachment 367783

View attachment 367784

View attachment 367785
Nice - works well as a screen grab option for instant memories - nothing worse than stopping to find a camera to take a real pic

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

View attachment 367782

View attachment 367783

View attachment 367784

View attachment 367785
Looks like your trip was with my mates bro in law!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Nice - works well as a screen grab option for instant memories - nothing worse than stopping to find a camera to take a real pic
I have been rather disappointed with the lack of pics from previous trips especially given some of the magic places we've ridden, this was the most convenient solution that let me capture all of the things.

Looks like your trip was with my mates bro in law!
I had thought that the other lady riding with your wife in your recent post had looked rather familiar.

ozzybmx

After the disappointment of seeing my 2013 build (with some upgrades) computer bogged down with 5K regular and 4K processed video, it was time to look at a new one.
The oldie was a mid-high end build and worked really well on normal 4K... but did the hand-me-down and now both boys have desktops in their rooms, though going on their usual trend of stuff that has served me well for years and is now theirs, will probably be trashed and full of viruses in a month.

i9-10700, GTX1660 super, Z490M, 32gb ram, 2 x SSD's and a 3TB storage drive. Now just need to get the new PowerDirector loaded and test the rendering speed out.

Something to claim on Tax now that I'm a student other that a new pair of sunnies each year.

ozzybmx

Don’t buy a 3tb drive - or if you do make sure your backing up your backups is pristine - massive failure rates on 3tb drives @ozzybmx
Didnt know that, thanks ! I already have the new computer a couple of days now, just no time to mess around because of night shift.

The 3TB HD is actually the main storage drive out of my old computer, prob 2-3yrs old now. Planning on replacing it with a 2TB SSD at some stage soon.

Got a 480GB SSD with windows on it and will load programs on there. The 1TB SSD is not enough for all my back up shit.

The bloke at the shop reckons I need to put a M.2 SSD on the MoBo and run programs off that.

The 3TB has currently ~1.4GB of all our photos, videos, music ect... not something I want to loose. I do periodically back the photos up with a portable HD that stays in my work locker.

Cheers... the SSD swap is now a higher priority :)

Minlak

custom titis
Didnt know that, thanks ! I already have the new computer a couple of days now, just no time to mess around because of night shift.

The 3TB HD is actually the main storage drive out of my old computer, prob 2-3yrs old now. Planning on replacing it with a 2TB SSD at some stage soon.

Got a 480GB SSD with windows on it and will load programs on there. The 1TB SSD is not enough for all my back up shit.

The bloke at the shop reckons I need to put a M.2 SSD on the MoBo and run programs off that.

The 3TB has currently ~1.4GB of all our photos, videos, music ect... not something I want to loose. I do periodically back the photos up with a portable HD that stays in my work locker.

Cheers... the SSD swap is now a higher priority :)
Well backing up means that stuff is in at least 2 places at any one time - I prefer 2 different mediums as well but that comes down to your own lifestyle choices for tech but at least everything on 2 different drives.

I think the 3TB stuff is a bit more reliable now but best guess is something in the construction of the 3TB drives caused an instability/ balance issue - used to have massive failure rate like in excess of 50%

Minlak

custom titis
Oh and FYI everyone don’t consider YouTube as a backup of your movies - if they decide to take your channels down they are gone forever - you can get copyright strikes for weird stuff - uploaded a wedding video for people to see and with in 3 mins of upload already copyrighted for the wedding march music

ozzybmx

No shit GoPro !
Congrats on selling the camera $200 cheaper online and attracting 500k people to take up the subscription offer bundled with the camera.

Would need to be a pretty sweet deal to keep us subscribing there 2021-22.

ozzybmx

Chesty sorted and tightened up for the kids.

I think I have settled on similar settings to the Loam Ranger (copied his with a small tweak or two). I have shot the last 2 rides with his flat colour settings with decent colour results.

So the only setting I now have to change between rides is EV Comp, set to -1 for sunny days, set to -0.5 for overcast. I might try it on '0' the next very overcast day.

RES/FPS : 4K 30
Lens : Superview
Hypersmooth : Boost
Bit Rate : High
Shutter : Auto
EV Comp : -0.5 (over cast day)
WB : 5500
ISO Min : 100
ISO Max : 3200
Sharpness : MED
Colour : Flat
Raw Audio : High
Wind : Off

Currently have the fluffy moustaches over the Mic holes but the audio still sounds like someone is muttering. Next ride out, Raw audio will be OFF and Wind will be ON/AUTO.

Short video from today, Melrose's Dualing Banjos. Hypersmooth working great with the chesty cinched up tight, colour is good, just audio to play with now. Watch 1440 or 4K.

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
Chesty sorted and tightened up for the kids.

I think I have settled on similar settings to the Loam Ranger (copied his with a small tweak or two). I have shot the last 2 rides with his flat colour settings with decent colour results.

So the only setting I now have to change between rides is EV Comp, set to -1 for sunny days, set to -0.5 for overcast. I might try it on '0' the next very overcast day.

RES/FPS : 4K 30
Lens : Superview
Hypersmooth : Boost
Bit Rate : High
Shutter : Auto
EV Comp : -0.5 (over cast day)
WB : 5500
ISO Min : 100
ISO Max : 3200
Sharpness : MED
Colour : Flat
Raw Audio : High
Wind : Off

Currently have the fluffy moustaches over the Mic holes but the audio still sounds like someone is muttering. Next ride out, Raw audio will be OFF and Wind will be ON/AUTO.

Short video from today, Melrose's Dualing Banjos. Hypersmooth working great with the chesty cinched up tight, colour is good, just audio to play with now. Watch 1440 or 4K.

Yeah my next ride I’m trying raw off as having the high quality audio track separate isn’t needed for me - and on the 9 I can only see 2 mics and I have them covered so going to the wind on for the next runs - not super happy with the content I got today a bit of a hodge podge but will make it into something tomorrow and see what happens.

ozzybmx

One of the original vids I shot was Raw-off and Wind-auto, its sounded quite good. Foamy needs to process it for YouTube with clear voices so he plays around with it. Us... doesnt matter.