How to How to GoPro.... Bible

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Those who have bought the new Hero9, you will have got a link from GoPro asking you to do a 15min survey (5mins)

If you complete it, they send you a 50% discount code for discount off ONE mod or accessory.

That will knock a bit off the Max Lens Mod... when its released, apparent date is the 16th October, so 3 days time.

Minlak

custom titis
It’s too long but this is what I got from my first efforts with the 9 - wind noise when actually moving and YouTube seems to make it blurry when moving fast. It’s great on my original files here.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It’s too long but this is what I got from my first efforts with the 9 - wind noise when actually moving and YouTube seems to make it blurry when moving fast. It’s great on my original files here.

What settings are you exporting out & uploading with?

Great vid btw.

Minlak

custom titis
What settings are you exporting out & uploading with?

Great vid btw.
I use Davinci Resolve - I used to use custom settings but now just use the recommended settings from Resolve You press the button that says for YouTube and sets it all to the settings YouTube say will give you the best results - I’m happy to try anything else but whatever I have ever tried looks freaking awesome on my screen and on my tv - just gets a bit meh as soon as YouTube processes it.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use Davinci Resolve - I used to use custom settings but now just use the recommended settings from Resolve You press the button that says for YouTube and sets it all to the settings YouTube say will give you the best results - I’m happy to try anything else but whatever I have ever tried looks freaking awesome on my screen and on my tv - just gets a bit meh as soon as YouTube processes it.
Might be worth seeing if you can up the bitrate, I found there was a tangible difference going from Premiere Pro's recommended settings of 16-20Mbps for 1080p, to 40Mbps with maximum depth/quality and 2 pass VBR. It seems like the more information/quality you throw at Youtube, the better job it does when it re-encodes it.

Minlak

custom titis
Might be worth seeing if you can up the bitrate, I found there was a tangible difference going from Premiere Pro's recommended settings of 16-20Mbps for 1080p, to 40Mbps with maximum depth/quality and 2 pass VBR. It seems like the more information/quality you throw at Youtube, the better job it does when it re-encodes it.
Now you mention this I’m sure when I was doing the custom render I had a much higher but rate set - I will try custom again on my next one. Thx

ozzybmx

Shoot it in 4K High bitrate, render at full settings, then upload in 4K and full 100mbps.

YouTube pushes it back to their max limits anyway.

Even if you dont watch the youtube video in full 4K, the next setting down is 1440p which is night and day better YouTube resolution than what it makes 1080p look.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Mountain biking POV footage is hard work for the encoding. Lots of fine detail constantly changing.

If you shoot something from a static camera position you'll notice far clearer results at much lower bit rates, because fewer pixels are changing frame to frame.

As Ozzy says though, once youtube takes over it'll make its own decisions about what you're getting. In many cases the clip is uploaded at a low quality quite quickly, and youtube updates with higher quality encodes 24-48 hours later - this may well depend on the number of views your channel gets.

ozzybmx

Dirty Mofos ! They had the max lens mod sitting at $99 on our Aus website for weeks, subscribers get 30% off... fill in the survey and get 50% off.

At $49 its worth a try out to see how it goes.

F%#kers have just gave us the good old Aussie sales tax hike on the price, update to $159.95 for a bit of glass, 1/3 of the price of the whole camera.

Minlak

custom titis
Dirty Mofos ! They had the max lens mod sitting at $99 on our Aus website for weeks, subscribers get 30% off... fill in the survey and get 50% off.

F%#kers have just gave us the good old Aussie sales tax hike on the price, update to $159.95 for a bit of glass, 1/3 of the price of the whole camera.
Yeah I was worried about that happening - I won’t be getting one for a while - at the cheaper price I was like meh why not - it’s like the pork chop bag for my bike great value at $79 except try to get it to Australia and closer to $170

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

It was $99 USD on the global site, always $159 Aud on the local site since day one.
I only got the email this morning notifying it was now available.... already out of stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Returned the Hero 9 I got from GoPro to JB today. No issues as box was the same. As I walked out I noted someone else had done the same... they came bagged like this from Singapore but not here in AU from retailers.

Still no accessories in there for the 9. Was kind of hoping the max lens mod might have been instore.

Minlak

custom titis
Why the return?
He bought 2 :)

People that were waiting for it to launch and went straight in to get one paid $699 literally hours later they were $598 everywhere as GoPro launched a promotion where you get free 1 yr Premium Subscription and an ever cheaper GoPro buy you had to wait for delivery.
He bought one at JB then got a cheaper one at GoPro so took the new one from GoPro back to JB and got his money back :)

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt

People that were waiting for it to launch and went straight in to get one paid $699 literally hours later they were $598 everywhere as GoPro launched a promotion where you get free 1 yr Premium Subscription and an ever cheaper GoPro buy you had to wait for delivery.
He bought one at JB then got a cheaper one at GoPro so took the new one from GoPro back to JB and got his money back :)
Ahh, rightio. Well I must have missed that, bit of a shit move from retailers/gopro, but I guess that's the way the world works.

Minlak

custom titis
Ahh, rightio. Well I must have missed that, bit of a shit move from retailers/gopro, but I guess that's the way the world works.
Yeah it was pretty shit - they released and we are told $699 - literally hours later it’s $599 in retail shops and GoPro has released their own offer which makes them $499 I think and you get % off any accessories you buy - you can also cancel your subscription anytime and the 1st year is free - I feel sorry for people that weren’t aware all this happened :(

ozzybmx

Yeah it was pretty shit - they released and we are told $699 - literally hours later it’s $599 in retail shops and GoPro has released their own offer which makes them $499 I think and you get % off any accessories you buy - you can also cancel your subscription anytime and the 1st year is free - I feel sorry for people that weren’t aware all this happened :(
Was a dirty action by GoPro, good if you held off.

The Premium Subscription is yet to be tested though.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

Great summary, thanks @Minlak haha

ozzybmx

Hero 9 update available.

Apparently another update coming soon to improve image quality.