How to How to GoPro.... Bible

Minlak

custom titis
So this is bizzare both videos I rendered last night had fucked sound all crackly and distorted. Rendered again today and it is fine with exactly the same settings. The only difference was not linking the 2 parts of the video prior to rendering. Weird will monitor

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Quickie Q re GoPro chesty -how do you get it to point straight ahead, i did a quick trial yesterday & it mostly points nearly straight down, do you add another piece rather than screwing the GoPro straight to chesty? Thanks

Minlak

custom titis
Quickie Q re GoPro chesty -how do you get it to point straight ahead, i did a quick trial yesterday & it mostly points nearly straight down, do you add another piece rather than screwing the GoPro straight to chesty? Thanks
It makes a difference how you position yourself on the bike. So for example for me I have the GoPro the right way up but the strap positioned above my titties... so the lower part of the strap is about nipple height. I then have the GoPro tilted backwards until it almost hits the mount. I however am set up fairly up right when riding.
When I get a more more aggressive rider to take GoPro duties I actually turn the camera upside down so it can tilt even more towards the sky and when not on the bike it looks like it is almost pointing to the sky. See image below. The other option is called "Doing a Binner" and just getting your penis to take the footage.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
When I get a more more aggressive rider to take GoPro duties I actually turn the camera upside down so it can tilt even more towards the sky and when not on the bike it looks like it is almost pointing to the sky.
Sweet i’ll try upside down, thanks

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, upside down for me. It ends up an a fairly extreme angle pointed up, about 30 degrees for me which works well for both seated and when standing on a descent.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you can get a short extension piece on ebay for a few bucks. This way you can angld the camera back more. Either that or ditch the chest and ho for a Stuntman chest harness! Much better than the chesty!

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Here's my first attempt at the chest mount.

The camera is an Insta 360 One. I'm still trying to work out the best settings and way to upload to YouTube to get decent quality.

It's all pieced together with the GoPro editing software, Quik and everything is done from the phone.

Minlak

custom titis
Here's my first attempt at the chest mount.

The camera is an Insta 360 One. I'm still trying to work out the best settings and way to upload to YouTube to get decent quality.
Something to bear in mind is that YouTube process’s the footage you uploaded and can take a few days to look better. Of course this won’t help if the footage you gave YouTube is poor anyway. The longest mine has taken is 4 days from upload it was only available at 340p then suddenly it was available in 4K.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Something to bear in mind is that YouTube process’s the footage you uploaded and can take a few days to look better. Of course this won’t help if the footage you gave YouTube is poor anyway. The longest mine has taken is 4 days from upload it was only available at 340p then suddenly it was available in 4K.
Ok. Thanks, something to keep in mind. I have noticed that some upload and the highest quality is 340p... Could be why. I haven't checked after a few days though.

I'm outputting the quality at 1080, but it's always really hard to get a good idea of quality on the mobile.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here's something i discovered today if having issues with Youtube not playing HD. Downlood Google Chrome; go to the Google web store and type in youtube; check the extensions box. There is an extension that forces Youtube to play whatever quality you select. Downlood this and an icon will appear in the upper right side of your browser. click this and it will show your options. have fun!

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I've currently started using this chest mount:

My knockoff gopro chesty did a decent job but it flapped around quite a bit when it got bumpy.
This base is much larger so the camera should move around less. Base is also a bit soft so it can bend and add some comfort.

What is surprising is how useful the two ball mount is. You orient to GoPro really low or forward.
Think of it like your elbow is mounted to the chest plate and your GoPro is in your hand.
Also adds some convenience when you want to mess around with angles and just unscrew with ball lock with your hand and leave the GoPro screwed in.
On my old chesty I found that I had to keep the screw key on me to tighten it enough so that it doesn't move down during riding.
Hand tightening the ball lock seems like enough so that it doesn't move during riding

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've currently started using this chest mount:
View attachment 350906

My knockoff gopro chesty did a decent job but it flapped around quite a bit when it got bumpy.
This base is much larger so the camera should move around less. Base is also a bit soft so it can bend and add some comfort.

What is surprising is how useful the two ball mount is. You orient to GoPro really low or forward.
Think of it like your elbow is mounted to the chest plate and your GoPro is in your hand.
Also adds some convenience when you want to mess around with angles and just unscrew with ball lock with your hand and leave the GoPro screwed in.
On my old chesty I found that I had to keep the screw key on me to tighten it enough so that it doesn't move down during riding.
Hand tightening the ball lock seems like enough so that it doesn't move during riding
The Stuntman harness is a heap better than the Gopro Chesty!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just had a bloke here tonight picking up my Hero 6 Black off Scumtree, sold with an i-steady Pro 3 gimbal and a few other clamps....

Awaiting the new Hero 8 (if thats what its called) probably released next month and with the DJI osmo biting at its heels, I'm hoping its got a few decent things going on.

ozzybmx

Hero8 details released this morning (USA). Sold my Hero6 about 2 month ago so have been holding out for this camera as I didn't buy the Hero7.
Higher bitrate, built in mount, hypersmooth 2 on 4K video... looks good.

The only minor disappointment from the cameras pre release hype was they expected it to have the new GP2 Processor, but still GP1 as Hero7.

EDIT: Just pre ordered it $599au with 32gb SD card.

Last edited:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm undecided on the new 8 or hopefully pick up a cheap 7 on the way out.
Bit disappointed that the lens is not easy to replace. Given I stack a lot and have already scratched a gopro lens.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I’ve been waiting to upgrade from Hero 2 lol. Was just about to purchase a 7 when this popped up today. I’ll probably go the 8 now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Doesn't seem like enough of a change over the H7B to make it worth upgrading. The integrated mount tab thingies are a good idea though, the biggest complaint I have with my H7 is needing to remove foam windblock, then take it out of the case to either pull SD or plug in USB.

ozzybmx

Doesn't seem like enough of a change over the H7B to make it worth upgrading. The integrated mount tab thingies are a good idea though, the biggest complaint I have with my H7 is needing to remove foam windblock, then take it out of the case to either pull SD or plug in USB.
Its not, I had the hero, hero2, Hero3b, Hero5b, Hero6b... and knew the hero 8 was coming, The Hero7 has nearly the same Hypersmooth.

The hero6 black did not have hypersmooth, the 7 did. Thus why I did not move from the 6 to the 7.

If this camera is not a hit, GoPro is not going so good, I expect it to go under within this next year... sad.

They have a massive competition from China, DJI is killing them.

The worlds best Drone makers, who trumped GoPro in the drone stakes, DJI, have a better camera already.