How to How to GoPro.... Bible

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Its not, I had the hero, hero2, Hero3b, Hero5b, Hero6b... and knew the hero 8 was coming, The Hero7 has nearly the same Hypersmooth.

The hero6 black did not have hypersmooth, the 7 did. Thus why I did not move from the 6 to the 7.

If this camera is not a hit, GoPro is not going so good, I expect it to go under within this next year... sad.

They have a massive competition from China, DJI is killing them.

The worlds best Drone makers, who trumped GoPro in the drone stakes, DJI, have a better camera already.
Any reason you didn’t got the DJI Action Ozzy? I have a H5B and considering an upgrade but some of the changes on the 8 are a bit baffling. The lack of user changeable lens is one, what happens if you get moisture under the lens? A small scratch. Can’t just pop it off and wipe it clean any more just have to wait for to dry or send it in for a new lens. Seems a very odd design decision.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Any reason you didn’t got the DJI Action Ozzy?
Considered it but was holding out for this new GoPro. The rumour mill in the last few months has been going off, but not all of the features have made it to the camera.

The H7b still pips the DJI as the better camera according to reviews but no doubt DJIs next action camera will be looking for that top spot.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone out there used a gopro in a race situation?
Most footage I've seen seems to be helmet mounted, is there a rule against using a chesty?

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A small scratch. Can’t just pop it off and wipe it clean any more just have to wait for to dry or send it in for a new lens. Seems a very odd design decision.
PolarPro are making ND filters and covers for the 8 already apparently. They slip on and are held in place with magents so at least you'll be able to put some protection on even if you can't change the lens.

ozzybmx

PolarPro are making ND filters and covers for the 8 already apparently. They slip on and are held in place with magents so at least you'll be able to put some protection on even if you can't change the lens.
They probably looked at the percentage of people who used used aftermarket lenses, or actually scraped a lens.

Then again, it may be a ploy to get us to pay $5 a month for GoPro PLUS, they replace the camera if broken, that includes the lens. 50% off GoPro accessories and unlimited cloud storage.

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
My partner wants a GoPro and I know nothing about these things. She won't be using it for cycling etc, but mainly for filming the dogs (they do sports!) and taking on hikes with them etc.

Whats a good entry model into this world? Is the Hero 7 white or silver perhaps? I imagine 1080p would be enough for social media postings?

Cheers

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My partner wants a GoPro and I know nothing about these things. She won't be using it for cycling etc, but mainly for filming the dogs (they do sports!) and taking on hikes with them etc.

Whats a good entry model into this world? Is the Hero 7 white or silver perhaps? I imagine 1080p would be enough for social media postings?

Cheers
Yep either of those should be fine mate and given the 8 is out you should be able to get a good deal. Don’t let them make you pay full price. One thing to check though is if your partner wants to mount the camera on the dogs. They actually have mounts specifically for that. If this is what she wants to do then you might need a Silver or Black as I think (don't quote me on this) but the white doesn't have the same stabilization as the other two. You'll need to check that though.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Thanks - yeah the silver is $299 at the moment - might be a good intro into this world.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thanks - yeah the silver is $299 at the moment - might be a good intro into this world.
You can do some stabilisation with video editing programs and depending on how powerful your PC is it can takes ages. I haven't owned the later model gopros, so not sure how good they are on the lower models.
It's one continual financial extraction, the better editing programs cost a bit but you most likely will not need a lot of stabilisation unless you plan to run with it or MTB and there's so many settings on them in manual mode that you almost need a degree to work them.

ozzybmx

Was down in JB HiFi yesterday, seen the new Hero8 just released.
Went home and got straight on to Gopro as I had pre-ordered one direct from them... supposed to ship on the 20th but I had nothing yet.
Was polite, they apologised and said for some strange reason my verified CC details were rejected by their system. The order was still in processing but with no payment verified, was actually cancelled and I should have been notified.

All I wanted to know was, if I buy local, they would not double charge me and send me a second Hero8 when their computer system sorts itself out. They confirmed that, apologised again and asked if 25% off code would help :p

So it will be another few days but at $449 I suppose I can wait.

ozzybmx

Got the Hero8 yesterday, went for a few runs today with #1 son.
Tried out both helmet and chest mounts, both need to be adjusted slightly as there's too much crossbar on the chesty and the helmet mounted run needs tilted back more . The Hypersmooth works beautifully, this trail is pretty rough.
Shot in 4K 60fps with the 100mbs setting checked and Hypersmooth 1 only as 2.0 is not available yet on 4K/60.

I'll have to play with a few settings still but looks good so far. I might have a go at 4K/30 to see how that looks.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got the Hero8 yesterday, went for a few runs today with #1 son.
Tried out both helmet and chest mounts, both need to be adjusted slightly as there's too much crossbar on the chesty and the helmet mounted run needs tilted back more . The Hypersmooth works beautifully, this trail is pretty rough.
Shot in 4K 60fps with the 100mbs setting checked and Hypersmooth 1 only as 2.0 is not available yet on 4K/60.

I'll have to play with a few settings still but looks good so far. I might have a go at 4K/30 to see how that looks.

Looks awesome mate, could you let me know what view you had it on for those runs (wide?)
Would be interested to see a local run in hypersmooth 2?
Most reviews are in full sun in alpine areas, interested to see how it would cope with shadows in typical Aus forests.

Just been looking on the Gopro site, can get an 8 for $400 delivered with an SD card! Yet $598 at retail stores!
$450 as a bundle with spare battery, shorty, head mount! Almost too good to pass up.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Looks awesome mate, could you let me know what view you had it on for those runs (wide?)
Most reviews are in full sun in alpine areas, interested to see how it would cope with shadows in typical Aus forests.

Just been looking on the Gopro site, can get an 8 for $400 delivered with an SD card! Yet $598 at retail stores!
$450 as a bundle with spare battery, shorty, head mount! Almost too good to pass up.
I think that's USD $$

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
If you can, buy spare batteries at the same time - the fuckers wont ship the seperately.

ozzybmx

Wow... shot this today in Hypersmooth 2.0 (Boost) ! I set ISO Max to 400, will try ISO Max 100 next time in the sun.

Been looking at this blokes settings and reasons why, still having a mess around with it .

Same run but 4K 30fps. All shot in WIDE as superwide stops Hypersmooth 2.0 on 30fps, it also can't be run on 60fps yet but a future update might change that.

Actually quite impressed by the 30fps video, Hypersmooth on boost is sensational. This trail is bloody rough, lots of rounded boulders.

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
Wow... shot this today in Hypersmooth 2.0 (Boost) ! I set ISO Max to 400, will try ISO Max 100 next time in the sun.

Been looking at this blokes settings and reasons why, still having a mess around with it .

Same run but 4K 30fps. All shot in WIDE as superwide stops Hypersmooth 2.0 on 30fps, it also can't be run on 60fps yet but a future update might change that.

Actually quite impressed by the 30fps video, Hypersmooth on boost is sensational. This trail is bloody rough, lots of rounded boulders.

what type of chesty you running fellah

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That looks sensational!

I was watching a pro MTB youtubers video about settings and he specifically said to use 30fps. Stated that all you're doing is using more storage for no good reason. Slow mo a different story of course.