How to How to GoPro.... Bible

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Who's actually broken their GoPro? At most I've cracked a lens.

The replacement scheme, better Hypersmooth and larger battery capacity (which looks like is has some offset by higher usage) are most appealing for me.
Although I won't be jumping ship from my 7 Black anytime soon as it does a great job .... plus I don't see myself doing many (or any? o_O) trips this upcoming season with the VIC lockdown uncertainties.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Well, GoPro has failed again with their brilliant idea, Karma Drone style.

1000's of disgruntled online customers, customer service is not answering calls nor answering emails. Their "my order status" tab is generating an error since the Hero9 release.

Their billing system is as dodgy as it was with the Hero 8 (resulting in me getting a 25% off voucher)

People think they have an order placed and there is no confirmation or charge to CC.

Don't know if any cameras have been shipped yet, I had to ask GoPro rep on the help forum to tell me my order status.

At least this time they have taken both camera and GP+ payments so I'm in the system, luckily I am in no rush but 4 days without the tracking number for the 2-3 shipping promise was reminiscing of the Hero8 drama so I followed it up.

He sent me this by PM. So not even shipped yet.

Last edited:

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A GoPro might just be the one thing I'd actually rather buy in store. Have already had to exchange my H7B under warranty once already, and the replacement still plays up from time to time. Much easier to take it back to the store and have them deal with the bullshit that is negotiating with GoPro.

Minlak

custom titis
I am going to get mine from Harvey Norman mainly as I can add product care to it - cause let’s face it somewhere in the next 4 years I will get my money back on it from either poor battery life or turning itself off etc.

ozzybmx

I am going to get mine from Harvey Norman mainly as I can add product care to it - cause let’s face it somewhere in the next 4 years I will get my money back on it from either poor battery life or turning itself off etc.
The new tech each year makes me feel upgradey

I move mine on each year now, not much cash lost as long as you get in before the new one is released.

You would think a Tech company with some of the best adventure graphics, app and computer based simple editing on the planet could get a computer system ready for the rush that they know happens every year... even planned this year for an Internet extravaganza then the website support, billing, tracking of orders and efficient shipping has eaten shit.

Another fail racing out a product without trialling their systems first.

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
The new tech each year make me feel upgradey

I move mine on each year now, not much cash lost as long as you get in before the new one is released.

You would think a Tech company with some of the best adventure graphics, app and computer based simple editing on the planet could get a computer system ready for the rush that they know happens every year... even planned this year for an Internet extravaganza then the website support, billing, tracking of orders and efficient shipping has eaten shit.

Another fail racing out a product without trialling their systems first.
The cameras themselves are always buggy too - resets usually fix the issues and the amount of outright failures are reasonably low for the volume sold - out of the box they always need a firmware update but that’s getting to be normal for tech these days

ozzybmx

The cameras themselves are always buggy too - resets usually fix the issues and the amount of outright failures are reasonably low for the volume sold - out of the box they always need a firmware update but that’s getting to be normal for tech these days
People are already listing the bugs, poppy audio and stopping mid video as some of the one on the support forum.

Yeah, tech normal these days, even with a new model of car.

Minlak

custom titis
People are already listing the bugs, poppy audio and stopping mid video as some of the one on the support forum.

Yeah, tech normal these days, even with a new model of car.
Yeah - not in a rush to buy just yet - waiting on a couple more updates and the first of the sales when they have to rely on more than hype to sell them - saw a retailer on line already offering $120 off of retail - I like the apple approach GoPro took this time - giving people more incentive to bypass the retailer whilst commanding high buy prices from the stores to stock them - quite the wanky move in my opinion.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Clearly have to work out correct upload quality, but here’s my first daylight (after 4 but before dark) ride footage thrown together in iMovie.

Also uploading to Vimeo to compare the upload quality.

Used loam rangers Hero 7 setup basics

4K 24FPS
Superview
Hypersmooth 3.0 boost
-1 EV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis
Yeah YouTube really screws the bandwidth and reduces quality - I have tried so many settings and still get the same result once it hits YouTube

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Yeah YouTube really screws the bandwidth and reduces quality - I have tried so many settings and still get the same result once it hits YouTube
I exported from iMovie IOS to 4K on my phone and uploaded to YouTube from there. Is it better to export at 1080? Or upload from desktop?

Playback on Vimeo on phone and desktop is fine, YouTube on phone and desktop definitely lower quality playback.

I also need to set a good angle on the chin mount. First portion of ride was set too low and not enough view of the trail ahead. I’m too used to chest mount, but had a better look at the preview on my phone mid way through the ride and angled it up just a touch to open up the field of view. That said not seeing what’s coming makes it feel quicker haha

Minlak

custom titis
I exported from iMovie IOS to 4K on my phone and uploaded to YouTube from there. Is it better to export at 1080? Or upload from desktop?

Playback on Vimeo on phone and desktop is fine, YouTube on phone and desktop definitely lower quality playback.

I also need to set a good angle on the chin mount. First portion of ride was set too low and not enough view of the trail ahead. I’m too used to chest mount, but had a better look at the preview on my phone mid way through the ride and angled it up just a touch to open up the field of view. That said not seeing what’s coming makes it feel quicker haha

I have tried using custom settings and all of the YouTube preferred settings - all the preferred settings do is make post processing quicker for YouTube after the upload - there is a period of time usually with in 1 hr of your upload before the full quality is available - that’s where it gets funky - we have all seen amazing YouTube clips - but everything I upload and many others that are very small “tubers” seem to get pixelation and motion blur - I have amazing 4K videos I made when played on my computer or tv and they are butchered when uploaded.
There is no official information anywhere but consensus seems to be as your channel grows the quality increases.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've spent a fair bit of time getting the settings, colour grading and levels right for Youtube - might as well post what i've come up with, maybe it'll be of some help & hopefully not just confusing o_O

The settings in camera I stick with are 2.7k 30fps Superview, Protune on, EV comp -1.0, white balance 5500k/6500k (depending on day), sharpness medium, colour flat. Chin mount on helmet definitely trumps chest mount, and a windslayer thing does wonders to cut down wind noise.

Editing wise I use Adobe Premiere, probably doesn't matter what you use but the biggest key i've found in getting good colour is using a LUT (lookup table) to 1) convert GoPro Protune to rec709, then 2) either applying some basic edits, or applying another LUT layered on top to get the look you're after. It might be more work, but it does seem to produce far better results than the standard "GoPro Colour". Here's a zip with the ones I use (in .cube format) - Google Drive

From there i'll export to native resolution (2704x1520 for 2.7k GoPro), native framerate, H.264 at 40Mbps with 2 pass VBR/variable bitrate & upload.

Here's a colour grading test I ended up with yesterday for an example:

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Well, GoPro has failed again with their brilliant idea, Karma Drone style.

1000's of disgruntled online customers, customer service is not answering calls nor answering emails. Their "my order status" tab is generating an error since the Hero9 release.

Their billing system is as dodgy as it was with the Hero 8 (resulting in me getting a 25% off voucher)

People think they have an order placed and there is no confirmation or charge to CC.

Don't know if any cameras have been shipped yet, I had to ask GoPro rep on the help forum to tell me my order status.

At least this time they have taken both camera and GP+ payments so I'm in the system, luckily I am in no rush but 4 days without the tracking number for the 2-3 shipping promise was reminiscing of the Hero8 drama so I followed it up.

He sent me this by PM. So not even shipped yet.

View attachment 367409
Received my shipping email on the 19th, smooth sailing for me so far lest I speak too soon.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've spent a fair bit of time getting the settings, colour grading and levels right for Youtube - might as well post what i've come up with, maybe it'll be of some help & hopefully not just confusing o_O

The settings in camera I stick with are 2.7k 30fps Superview, Protune on, EV comp -1.0, white balance 5500k/6500k (depending on day), sharpness medium, colour flat. Chin mount on helmet definitely trumps chest mount, and a windslayer thing does wonders to cut down wind noise.

Editing wise I use Adobe Premiere, probably doesn't matter what you use but the biggest key i've found in getting good colour is using a LUT (lookup table) to 1) convert GoPro Protune to rec709, then 2) either applying some basic edits, or applying another LUT layered on top to get the look you're after. It might be more work, but it does seem to produce far better results than the standard "GoPro Colour". Here's a zip with the ones I use (in .cube format) - Google Drive

From there i'll export to native resolution (2704x1520 for 2.7k GoPro), native framerate, H.264 at 40Mbps with 2 pass VBR/variable bitrate & upload.

View attachment 367420View attachment 367421View attachment 367422

Here's a colour grading test I ended up with yesterday for an example:

Great results! Shame Youtube still butchers it on upload.