How to How to GoPro.... Bible

Minlak

custom titis
Ok so set sound to Auto to try and reduce wind noise - its hopeless the microphones are literally turned off / greatly reduced as soon as you get any kind of wind noise or what it thinks is wind noise - will be just trying to get better wind noise reduction from dead cats of some kind - looking at ordering some foam ones that go over the whole camera but they are only in China and say delivery from Nov - Feb :)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ok so set sound to Auto to try and reduce wind noise - its hopeless the microphones are literally turned off / greatly reduced as soon as you get any kind of wind noise or what it thinks is wind noise - will be just trying to get better wind noise reduction from dead cats of some kind - looking at ordering some foam ones that go over the whole camera but they are only in China and say delivery from Nov - Feb :)
Try Raw - Off , Wind -On.

I have 2 of those bits of moustache fluff still stuck on the camera, looks like little Hitler moustache and a mohawk. The runs I posted in another thread at the weekend were with the raw-off and wind-on.

You can still hear a bit of wind but mostly trail noise. The audio is clear at the 2 minute mark, even while moving.

Minlak

custom titis
I’m thinking I don’t have big enough moustache and mo hawk on it - will replace them and try again with raw off and wind on - have to record all of today’s video again anyway now :)

ozzybmx

I’m thinking I don’t have big enough moustache and mo hawk on it - will replace them and try again with raw off and wind on - have to record all of today’s video again anyway now :)
Friggin expensive for the real dead cats.

I listened to these 2 having a bleat about the Hero9... suppose its all about the views, probably more interesting reading the comments below the video.

At the 2:15 mark, they talk about 2 firmware fixes, one would be this one and the next in Nov, hoping it's only the colour settings they change and leave flat alone. I'm happy with the flat settings that I am using.

Minlak

custom titis
I’m actually quite happy with it - I moved the stabilisation down one notch as well as that gives me a slightly less crop on the image - on the highest stabilisation to have the right height and still see my bars is almost impossible - I like seeing the bars in the video as a kind of bottom framing thing. - just gotta work out the wind noise thing and I think I’m golden.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get one of these, makes a big difference. That and use the stereo mic setting with it in combination, the "wind" mic sounds terrible regardless. Edit: On the H7 at least - the Hero 9 appears to be far better!

Attachments

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
Get one of these, makes a big difference. That and use the stereo mic setting with it in combination, the "wind" mic sounds terrible regardless.
Yeah I’m going to get that but they seem to be only available from China currently and will take up to February to get :)

tobbogonist

a registered member
Hit the beers and had a video call session a few weeks ago with an old mate, woke up to an email advising my new gopro was in the mail.
Have been working 6 days a week since then and have had a chance to get out and use it.
Just wanted to say you guys are great, a wealth of info and I finally have use for the left over packet of moustaches I've been draggin around victoria for the past 10 years.

ozzybmx

Just wanted to say you guys are great, a wealth of info and I finally have use for the left over packet of moustaches I've been draggin around victoria for the past 10 years.
Just copy the settings, VIC moustaches may have covid... fuck that shit off, its got a 72hr life... beers are the answer.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just got my first look at the 9 the other day. It was a mates so I've not tested it but holy shit it's heavy AF!!! I was very surprised by the weight increase. It's noticeably bigger and beefier than the 7 I run and to be honest I reckon hanging it under a visor would get tiring pretty quick. Anyone found that or something you just get used to? Personally I'd happily go back to the form of the Session, get rid of the screens but keep functionality and it would be perfect but given GoPro came pretty close to going tits up I get they had to rationalize their lineup.

ozzybmx

32g heavier than the 8.

7 - 116g
8- 126g
9 - 158g

You still have to use the surround on the 7 which takes it to 146g, only 12g short of the 9 and probably not far from the same size.

8 & 9 have the metal tabs built in and the front screen on the 9 is nice addition over the 8.
A bigger battery seems to have made the most difference to weight and size.

I don't notice as I predominantly use a chesty.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Upgraded to a H9B the other day, I didn't notice the weight increase mounted on the chin. The people making comparisons of "It's noticeably heavier" don't seem to include the cage which is required in most/all situations anyway, which doesn't any sense to me.

Haven't had much of a chance to test it but am pretty impressed coming from a H7B. Quality does seem to be noticeably better which i'm happy about, better stabilisation, bigger battery and screen are nice to haves also. Below video's audio is with "wind" setting off & with a windslayer foam cover - clearly going to have to muck about with it more. Video quality itself i'm pretty happy with though.

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Not noticed the weight full face chin or chest mounted, other than it being there compared to not being there. I don’t think 10-20grams is going to be a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
32g heavier than the 8.

7 - 116g
8- 126g
9 - 158g

You still have to use the surround on the 7 which takes it to 146g, only 12g short of the 9 and probably not far from the same size.

8 & 9 have the metal tabs built in and the front screen on the 9 is nice addition over the 8.
A bigger battery seems to have made the most difference to weight and size.

I don't notice as I predominantly use a chesty.
Curious, when I grabbed the 9 it was very obviously heavier. I wouldn't have picked the difference to be only 12g.

ozzybmx

Curious, when I grabbed the 9 it was very obviously heavier. I wouldn't have picked the difference to be only 12g.
Didn't know myself, just grabbed some specs as I was interested in the difference. I've had them all apart for the 4 and 7.

I seen a bloke with a Hero4 a few weeks ago... the 3 & 4 were tiny cameras, wasn't even much between them naked and the session.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try Raw - Off , Wind -On.

I have 2 of those bits of moustache fluff still stuck on the camera, looks like little Hitler moustache and a mohawk. The runs I posted in another thread at the weekend were with the raw-off and wind-on.

View attachment 368423

You can still hear a bit of wind but mostly trail noise. The audio is clear at the 2 minute mark, even while moving.

I've got a full foam cover for my 9, but if you stick another dead cat over the mic drain on the side you should nearly eliminate all wind noise

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quick question to those using Davinci Resolve Free version?
What sort of system are you using? It seems to have very high min specs.
@Minlak @Isaakk

I have a 10th gen i7 8 core, 16gb ram and a 6gb gpu, but its recommending i9, 32gb ram etc!
Just don't want to bother downloading if it's not going to run well enough to do our basic edits.
I'm hoping the huge spec requirements are only if basically using it for pro work?