How to How to GoPro.... Bible

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
So the new Hero 10 is out !

Cheapest option is $699au for the bundle with subscription.

ozzybmx

I saw $599AUD with 12 month subscription on their site while I was cancelling my sub.
It was $749au for the camera only first thing this morning :oops:

... and $699 for the bundle with subscription.

Now camera only with subscription for $599.

Might hold on a few days to see if it drops again.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Click this link, it still displays $749 for a split second, then jumps to $599. Or refresh the page.

Also $749 at JB HiFi.

ozzybmx

Part 1.

So I updated my Hero 9 with the latest firmware 3 weeks ago (ready to sell to buy the Hero 10) and the rear screen started flickering... dont know if it was coincidental.

GoPro's shitty customer service helpline only opens at 11pm Au time, so I was palmed off on 2 occasions with promises of my case being resolved, not so bad on nighshift. This dragged it out by 3-4 days on each occasion as I was waiting on someone getting back to me.

3th time I didnt take any vague shit, even made the bloke stay taking to me till the return email arrived in my inbox. So returned it to NSW on Saturday, Express, they got it Monday morning and have sent me a new one Wednesday, which is good.

That will be sold when it arrives.

---------------------------------

Part 2

So with the new Hero 9 replacement on the way, I figured it was time to buy the Hero 10.

Its $599 online with GoPro subscription, memory card and free express ship.

I get right through to checkout with PayPal and it says $529au... ok no billing for the GoPro plus subscription.

Straight away I get the confirmation of $529 paid and another from GoPro confirming GoPro + Subscription.

So this doesn't surprise me as GoPro... for a tech company, they are billing and website functionality retards.

I had order/billing issues with the hero 8 which resulted in them sending me a 25% off discount voucher.

All in all, yes they were a bit of a pain to deal with over the last 2 weeks, seems all I had to do was be a bit more forceful for an immediate resolution.

They are replacing the 9 and I have gone back for another camera... maybe like a whack-a-mole, just doesn't learn.

Good deal at $529 :p

Last edited:

ozzybmx

I've been using my Hero 10 on every ride since getting it as nailing down a decent set of settings has been a little bit harder than usual.

Instead of just GoPro-Flat colour, there is Flat-Natural-Vibrant. Also my old favourite 30fps looks a bit off so I have been experimenting with 50fps.

The Natural colour setting looks a bit rich and the flat doesn't looks as flat as the Hero9. The EV Comp is probably the most important setting as the GoPro overexposes everything, so -1 for sunny and -0.5 for overcast days.

Hypersmooth standard works very well, only need it on boost for really rough tracks.

Watched a few videos where vloggers say to shoot in Low sharpness but it looks like a blur.

5.3K looks awesome but decent 4K is plenty for what I want.

Here is the current hot list of settings for MTB so far.

RES-FPS : 4K 50fps
Lens : SuperView
Hypersmooth : Standard
Bitrate : High
Shutter : Auto
EV Comp : -1
White Balance : 5500k
Iso Min : 100
Iso Max : 200
Sharpness : Med
Colour : Flat
Wind : Auto

Both these are UNLISTED videos.
Only uploaded to see how they turned out on YouTube.

They look good in 4K if you can stream it. Currently in my house there is 3 x phones and 2 x Netflix sucking me down :rolleyes:

The sun flickering on the lens didnt upset the colour and bleach the whites... which was good.

ozzybmx

Anyone had the original chest mount and 'upgraded' to the new padded pro chesty ?

Mine is circa 2011'ish, slippy plastic on the back.

Any others I should consider ?

Cheers

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Anyone had the original chest mount and 'upgraded' to the new padded pro chesty ?

Mine is circa 2011'ish, slippy plastic on the back.

Any others I should consider ?

Cheers
I bought the new padded one when I grabbed the GoPro Max a couple months back. Don't really notice any difference in terms of comfort or footage, but it seems nicely made? Haha.

ozzybmx

I bought the new padded one when I grabbed the GoPro Max a couple months back. Don't really notice any difference in terms of comfort or footage, but it seems nicely made? Haha.
Birthday approaching, boys are getting me a V2 Chesty and a Wolftooth B-rad tool holder :)

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
most of us wear a pack or camelback - I usually use an endura MT500 pack with a back protector.
A pack harness and a chesty is bordering on bondage - not keen.

Is there a chest harness that integrates into a pack harness to avoid the straps on straps on straps?

- carpetrunner

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
most of us wear a pack or camelback - I usually use an endura MT500 pack with a back protector.
A pack harness and a chesty is bordering on bondage - not keen.

Is there a chest harness that integrates into a pack harness to avoid the straps on straps on straps?

- carpetrunner
USWE do a latch replacement kit that incorporates a GoPro mount. Works quite well. I rarely use my GoPro, but leave the GoPro plate & latch kit installed all the time as I actually find it more comfortable due to the width and height of the chest plate compared to just the straps and latch.

Wasn't easy to get one last time I looked, and might only work with their smaller packs - I haven't checked all the details. But still, works well if you can find one.

ozzybmx

Its that time of year again... head over to GoPro and cancel your subscriptions from last years camera purchase or you will be billed $69.99.

GoPro releases their new camera every September, so its only 4-6 weeks away.

This is the first year I am not excited about the new camera and I will probably not upgrade my Hero 10 to the Hero 11... at this time.

They are doing a company shake up at the end of 2022 for 2023 with the release of 4 cameras so nothing massive is expected for 2022.

The biggest wish is a bigger sensor but going on the past 10yr trend, GoPro will keep the sensor for 2022.

Sony has already maxxed out the IMX677 capabilities on the Hero 10 Black except HRD DOL Video, which will probably be on the 11.

Hero 10 got the new GP2 sensor, so it will not be changing for 2022.

Not feeling the love at all unless it gets a bigger sensor for 2022, this will increase low light quality, fix loss of clarity on HD and better native light sensitivity.

I know there are only a couple that bought the Hero 10 here but don't forget to cancel the subs.

ozzybmx

So the new GoPro 11 with have a bigger sensor but that's about it.

DJI Action 3 released next week is expected to have all the new GoPro features, at a cheaper price and going back to the Action 1 form. Also beating the Hero11 to market by 2 weeks.

Got a bit of competition going on this time considering there are no massive changes in the GoPro camp.

fgddhfdgh.jpg

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So the new GoPro 11 with have a bigger sensor but that's about it.

DJI Action 3 released next week is expected to have all the new GoPro features, at a cheaper price and going back to the Action 1 form. Aslo beating the Hero11 to market by 2 weeks.

Got a bit of competition going on this time considering there are no massive changes in the GoPro camp.

View attachment 392639
Is it a bigger sensor (ie: physically larger), or just a higher resolution sensor?

ozzybmx

Is it a bigger sensor (ie: physically larger), or just a higher resolution sensor?
Both I think, a full 1" sensor they reckon which may require a larger camera case but the case is unchanged.
Not a lot of spec leaks yet, just pictures of the camera.

ozzybmx

DJI throws the gauntlet down with release date.