how to manual

tobbogonist

a registered member
Man I've been riding unicycles since i was about 14 (girlfriend at the time knew how to ride one and stubborn 14 y/o me would be damned if he was going to have her able to do something he couldn't)
I've ridden up mountains, down mountains, street, trails, done tricks, could coast about 15 mtrs or so consistantly (both feet on crown of frame) and do you think i can get even close to wheeling or manualing my mtb?
Nope.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Everytime I saw people manualling, wheeleing, bunny-hoping stuff on fire road or car park, I felt like a loser with overly expensive mtb. I still feel like one since I can't manual, wheely or bunny hop, but it's rather consoling to see I'm not the only one finding manual difficult as f***.

I worry about those manual machine taco-ing your backwheel if you lose balance. Thus I haven't built one yet.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
I feel like I'm in a support group right now. I can't manual/wheelie for shit. I mainly struggle with the balance, never the lift. I don't practice much anymore, mainly because I'm in cleats and I'm scared of getting hurt and looking like an idiot. When I do practice I use the technique in this video from GMBM. I also find it best to practice on a very slight grassy incline. Once you get the technique correct, it's kind of scary how easy the front wheel lifts. As a side note, be prepared to constantly come off the back of the bike.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Always practice on grassy terrain. I have witnessed a manual went wrong in a carpark. Ambulance were called and the kid was towed to the hospital. Yep not fun.

sbm

Likes Bikes
One of the little things I love about BMX, I feel like a big old kook because I'll ride with guys that can air out of a pool and manual around the whole thing and drop back in, and both pre-teens and grey-haired dudes that can do whips jumping big doubles at the track.

Then I go for an MTB ride and feel like a god....because I can practice manuals in the asphalt parking lot without putting myself in hospital!

I'm equally as slow on both bikes though haha.