How to recover from a 24 hour bike race?

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Australia,

Nice ride son, your result speaks for itself.

I do take exception to your last lap however. You chose to sit on the last corner with the rest of us, then sprinted up the final straight, almost pushing me off the track in your efforts to get to the line. Waiting that extra few seconds would not have changed your race position, and would have shown due respect to the other riders out there (whilst we didn't place as highly as you, we rode hard nonetheless).

That incident, and the lack of restraint shown by some of the other riders on the first lap took the shine off what was otherwise an excellent race.

Cool your head mate, you've got some fire in those legs but still a lot to learn.
Sorry Rob, i was entirely unaware of that, I do apologise for that

I'm sure you'll understand that my mental state was not exactly top notch at that stage of the race - by staying out of the saddle I found that I was relieving some of the pressure off my left calf muscle - and I was looking forward to collapsing into a chair a great deal - no excuse obviously, but tunnel vision was taking over - once again, I'm very sorry that dim-witted move on my part tarnished your race

Last edited:

JessD

Likes Dirt
Recovery

I hate this part of the race...here are some things I do:
1. Start recovering before the race is finished by doing slower laps(if I have the luxury), eating real food in the latter stages(if the results afford this) and drinking a recovery formula shake in small amounts throughout the race.
2. I have a recovery drink within 15 mins of finishing and try to eat something with carbs. TRY I said.
3. Drink no alcohol, but I did have a glass of red at Russ Bakers on Sunday night, just one small one.
4. Eat a higher protein based meal for dinner that night. thankfully I was able to eat steak Sunday night with salad and some potatoes. (aids muscle recovery for me and gets my iron back up to a good level so I dont have a "fuzzy head")
5. carry a full bottle of water with me at all times for the next 2 days. Toilet breaks needed often, but flushes out the system and also helps clear the fuzzy head feeling.
6. Take supplements like Glutamine, Vit B12, Iron, Vit C, Flaxseed Oil(really helps with anti inflammatory properties).
7. Wear compression tights for at least 24hrs post race.
8. Have multiple cold showers, I get my hand held shower head and put it on my legs, lower back and calves for about 10 mins before allowing myself to have a warm shower. Feels awesome!
9. Sleep, sleep and more sleep.
10. Tone down your responsibilities - only do the real important things. if you can take time out from work do so. mental stress does not assist in recovery.
11. Eat for its medicinal qualities, not for emotional needs. After a 24hr I have a few "treats" and by tuesday(today) its back to thinking,"what can this food do to help me repair and regenerate cells?"
12. I will be using my road bike and my rollers this week. 90-100rpm - Recovery HR zone, listen to some tunes for 1hr. will probably do this 4 times by the end of the week and restart a new phase of my training next Tuesday.
13. the final piece of recovery will be a de brief. Chat, write down, reflect and reward. work out where to improve and how. Set new goals. This helps me with motivation to get going again.

I am not the expert on recovery...but maybe some of my suggestions may help someone?
Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday and hopefully you do not have to be at work - poor thing if you are!

Jess x

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
compression tights?

I know compression tights are all the rage these days but was working with a couple of AFL trainers/physo's and was surprised to here they were saying from their research there was very little evidence compression tights worked and if they did it was only for the first 5 times that the compression tights were worn. They thought the whole compression tight thing was a bit of a joke. If you must wear them they said just buy the cheapest pair of tights you can and buy them a size smaller wear them 5 times and throw them out. By far the most useful tool was ice and ice baths. ice baths were even more useful than a massage after intense activity as they really control inflammation and swelling.

JessD

Likes Dirt
whatever works for you....

I know compression tights are all the rage these days but was working with a couple of AFL trainers/physo's and was surprised to here they were saying from their research there was very little evidence compression tights worked and if they did it was only for the first 5 times that the compression tights were worn. They thought the whole compression tight thing was a bit of a joke. If you must wear them they said just buy the cheapest pair of tights you can and buy them a size smaller wear them 5 times and throw them out. By far the most useful tool was ice and ice baths. ice baths were even more useful than a massage after intense activity as they really control inflammation and swelling.
I suffer from swelling and puffiness post race, so whatever I can do I employ.
Compression tights are only ONE part of the solution.
however mmatrix, thank you for your response...I was wondering how long it would be before someone would put up a rebuttal...within 10 mins- thats good.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Recovery wise - as in getting back into racing, I'm targetting the Capital Punishment 100km on 29-5-10 which looks like fun... 53 days by my counting: what does everyone think?

The 100km course will start at Kowen Forest on the Kings Highway side near Sparrow Hill. We are re-visiting some of the old 24 hour course and some new tracks here before heading through private land (you can not access this at any other time other than during the event) and to the famous Majura Pines for a whole lot of "whoops" and excited hollers before heading to Black Mountain, past the Cork Plantation and into the world class Mt Stromlo tracks.

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Why wait that long. The singletrack mind series round 1 is at Lithgow in 2 weeks and I know quite a few finishes from the weekend that will be attending. Use Red_Racer's method of recovery and fitness. Enter another race.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Why wait that long. The singletrack mind series round 1 is at Lithgow in 2 weeks and I know quite a few finishes from the weekend that will be attending. Use Red_Racer's method of recovery and fitness. Enter another race.
My thoughts exactly... although I think I may take the soft option and ride in a pair (singlespeed though :) )

Then Dirtworks 2 weeks after that! Followed by.... etc etc

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Drink no alcohol, but I did have a glass of red at Russ Bakers on Sunday night, just one small one.
Apparently turning up for dinner, finding out that its a 15 metre climb up a steep driveway from the street to the house, and then finding out you have to sprint up 16 steps to the front door is also good for the recovery. :)

Last edited:

btothec

Likes Dirt
Apparently turning up for dinner, finding out that its a 15 metre climb up a steep driveway from the street and then being told to sprint up 16 steps to the front door is also good for the recovery. :)
And then with a belly full of good food in the tummy bang out the same 16 steps and drive way all over again.:confused:;)

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My thoughts exactly... although I think I may take the soft option and ride in a pair (singlespeed though :) )

Then Dirtworks 2 weeks after that! Followed by.... etc etc
Two week break to an 8 hour race - you two just made me feel physically ill!

fezi

Likes Dirt
I've used them before and whilst I'm not sold that they are the be all end all, the placebo effect they provide can be a good tool.

Australia, get yourself a copy of "The Paleo Diet for Athletes". It gives you a good idea as to what your body needs post endurance events & training and the time frame thats most effective for consumption. Can be had for next to nothing off egay ( I paid $3 for mine) Co-written by some mug called Friel... Save the junk food binge for when your recovered, its protein and good quality carbs your body wants now not empty calories from over processed junk

You've probably missed the idea timing for recovery rides but get out there and do some zero effort rides at higher than normal cadence, helps get the toxins out of the muscles and increases blood flow to joints etc

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Two week break to an 8 hour race - you two just made me feel physically ill!
Meh... was not really well enough for the whole thing so only rode for 10hrs (hence being able to smash out laps in the last 5hrs!). Also, theres racing and then there's _racing_. More like a training session and a chance to ride somewhere I don't usually go than a race...

REEKS

Squid
*Most* people I know who have done 24 hour races have taken about a month to recover to a point they can ride at a decent level again. It's often three to six months before they're racing at a level better than when they did a 24 hour race. Each year there's at least one or two who are destroyed for the next 12 months, such is what it does to your body.

Occasionally some who fall well outside this norm turn up - usually the guys who win Elite rather than age category events.
we will c how true that is when i do an 8 hour next wkend, i came 16th overall but was pretty trashed after it, will be interesting to c i f even finish the 8 hour let alone do well :rolleyes:

REEKS

Squid
use lots of >>>>insert plug<<<< TORQ recovery
drive the same amount of kms ridden home (350km)
reward the pit bunny for her help :p
615am spin class
930boxing class
630pm spin class

thats my recovery,,, oh dear god help!

do i have to reward the pit bunny for helpin me, or did u do that on my behalf ;)

REEKS

Squid
im on that list :eek: sorry legs!

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
rest up

I suffer from swelling and puffiness post race, so whatever I can do I employ.
Compression tights are only ONE part of the solution.
however mmatrix, thank you for your response...I was wondering how long it would be before someone would put up a rebuttal...within 10 mins- thats good.
yeah sorry JessD , was a Probably was a bit insensitive . You just race for 24 hours and I am saying tights are NG. rest up and relax AND congrats on the double 09 and 10 great effort.