How to work out which fork offset is right for me

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Because they're rather underwhelming once the cute price honeymoon is over. Less than satisfactory air spring sealing, and heavy-handed damping with poor adjustment. Ironically, the damping is better-suited to heavier riders, while the air piston seal blow-by definitely isn't!
Is that based on the newer EQ system or previous versions?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Because I want it to look how it would look if I’d bought it, of course.
Your correct, Suntour need to take a leaf out of Tektros TRP book and release their high end stuff under a different name for the brand snobs. I think an online poll is in order similar to the one that got us the legendary Boaty McBoat face.

Maybe SRF? They could say it's Suntour Racing Forks but we would all know it stands for Suck it Rockshox and Fox.

dkselw

Likes Bikes
Your correct, Suntour need to take a leaf out of Tektros TRP book and release their high end stuff under a different name for the brand snobs. I think an online poll is in order similar to the one that got us the legendary Boaty McBoat face.

Maybe SRF? They could say it's Suntour Racing Forks but we would all know it stands for Suck it Rockshox and Fox.
Funny thing is, Suntour used to be a quality brand a long time ago.
They invented the angled parallelogram derailleur that followed the shape of the cassette. In the early 80's I swapped out my campag pedals for Suntour pedals. Back then it was a significant upgrade. A lot has happened since then.

Lucaw

Next in line

But SRF is already a Swiss tv station

Jpez

Down on the left!
FFS, only Mezzers I can find in stock are 51mm offsets.

Might have to pull the trigger on a Lyrik if I can't find the appropriate mezzer today.
Does the frames specs say what offset it was designed with? Sometimes this is noted. Given you’ve never ridden the bike I’m betting you won’t notice any difference from 42-51 or at the very least it won’t make any difference to your experience on the bike.
With the price being so good on the Mezzers I’d be pushing the buy now button on those.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Does the frames specs say what offset it was designed with? Sometimes this is noted. Given you’ve never ridden the bike I’m betting you won’t notice any difference from 42-51 or at the very least it won’t make any difference to your experience on the bike.
With the price being so good on the Mezzers I’d be pushing the buy now button on those.
I looked around Pyga's (pretty crap) website and unfortunately couldn't find anything regards whether the bike had been designed for any particular offset.

Pretty set on 42-44mm, given some of the testimonies listed in this thread.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Pushys on eBay has a black 42mm offset 170 Ultimate for $1330 delivered (including discount if you are an eBay plus member). Even with buying the 150 air shaft on top is the cheapest I could find.

Shame you missed out on the Mezzer.

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Black forks will be fine...Too much silver can look a bit....
Red is cool too. My pikes are now on the...cough...splutter...er...Ebike....sorry

Attachments

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Can I be a dick and throw the Formula Selva fork in the mix? I almost got Felix one on new build. Only chickened out because I have all the RS spares. Incredibly tuneable and awesome by all account. Not sure if @russthedog has any in stock over at ORBO still.
If not, and wanting to save $500+, I know enough smart guys running the Mezzer who love it to believe it’s a serious contender for my next fork.
Otherwise, you’ll love the new lyriks. Felix has the ultimate 2.1’s and tells me daily how much better they feel than previous older model lyriks.

Edit. selva in stock, air is a bit dearer than a lyrik I see.
Am planning to get a selva for my Rune, but now contemplating whether to go 46mm offset or wait for the 37mm offset? I've always run 42mm offset forks. I know peeps said there is minimal difference between 42-51mm offset, but how about 37mm?

moorey

call me Mia
Am planning to get a selva for my Rune, but now contemplating whether to go 46mm offset or wait for the 37mm offset? I've always run 42mm offset forks. I know peeps said there is minimal difference between 42-51mm offset, but how about 37mm?
If you’re asking me, no idea. Never used 37….and personally l couldn’t pick the difference in the 51mm set from my usual 42’s.
51 to 37 is a jump. I’m sure many would pick it. I bet I wouldn’t if I wasn’t told.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Wait for the 37 offset. The smaller wheels turn quite a bit easier than the 29er and using the bigger offset on the Rune will make it twitchy imo.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Wait for the 37 offset. The smaller wheels turn quite a bit easier than the 29er and using the bigger offset on the Rune will make it twitchy imo.
Can the twitchiness be counteracted by running shorter stem?