Hows tassie in the last 12 months

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
To all you Tassie folk, how have things been down there in the last 12 months? You've been getting spoilt for riding destinations and that doesn't look to be changing!

What are the highlights and downers about living south of the mainland? Coming from a place that's coastal and has its share of xc trails, will it be much different?

Has the foodie scene developed? Many cafes and different food styles? Real estate seems to be sensibly priced too compared to most places.

What are the main points of your lifestyle?

What suburbs should I avoid?

Is casual work easy enough to come by at a pinch if worse comes to worse?

Lastly, can I get 98 octane fuel easily enough?

Cost of living come down at all?

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
tas

I'll give it a go .
I'm from Vic mornington peninsula originally.
Been in hobart for 24 years now.

× highs and lows same any where just different
you'll always find great things in any place and not so great also .

×foody scene has grown heaps but it's no melb,/Brunswick

×lifestyle is the good part if you choose to, lots of surfing bushwalking, and rideing of course is cool.

×suburbs there all pretty good .you have the usual wealthy and not so .pretty good really.

×work wise its there but some areas are pretty competitive .

×fuel yep and even e85

×cost of living food is /can be bit dearer ,but hey havnt bought food in mainland for a bit

Hope that helps

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To all you Tassie folk, how have things been down there in the last 12 months? You've been getting spoilt for riding destinations and that doesn't look to be changing!

What are the highlights and downers about living south of the mainland? Coming from a place that's coastal and has its share of xc trails, will it be much different?

Has the foodie scene developed? Many cafes and different food styles? Real estate seems to be sensibly priced too compared to most places.

What are the main points of your lifestyle?

What suburbs should I avoid?

Is casual work easy enough to come by at a pinch if worse comes to worse?

Lastly, can I get 98 octane fuel easily enough?

Cost of living come down at all?
Come on, it's not 1978 dude...:)

It depends where you want to go. People will tell you Hobart is the place to be, but their wrong.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Come on, it's not 1978 dude...:)

It depends where you want to go. People will tell you Hobart is the place to be, but their wrong.
Fuels important, and sadly it's still an issue in places, utes set for 98 only. I've done the google search and there's threads here but it's always good to get an update from those around.

Other regional places seem to of changed quiet abit lately, was evident on holiday recently And I'm sure 1978 had its merits! :p and aslong as a beach is under an hour I'd be happy.

Last edited:

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I'll give it a go .
I'm from Vic mornington peninsula originally.
Been in hobart for 24 years now.

× highs and lows same any where just different
you'll always find great things in any place and not so great also .

×foody scene has grown heaps but it's no melb,/Brunswick

×lifestyle is the good part if you choose to, lots of surfing bushwalking, and rideing of course is cool.

×suburbs there all pretty good .you have the usual wealthy and not so .pretty good really.

×work wise its there but some areas are pretty competitive .

×fuel yep and even e85

×cost of living food is /can be bit dearer ,but hey havnt bought food in mainland for a bit

Hope that helps
Good to hear the food scenes grown, always so much potential. It's one issue here, it feels out dated even compared to other regional areas. Lifestyles fairly key otherwise I'd live in Melbourne and be done with it.

Cheers!

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Good to hear the food scenes grown, always so much potential. It's one issue here, it feels out dated even compared to other regional areas. Lifestyles fairly key otherwise I'd live in Melbourne and be done with it.

Cheers!
Summer in Tassie is all salmon, berries, cherries and cider. What could possibly go wrong? Coffee. Tasmanian coffee could damage a person unless you know exactly where to go....

Truly though...go. I'd love there if there was something for us to earn a comparable quid against.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Summer in Tassie is all salmon, berries, cherries and cider. What could possibly go wrong? Coffee. Tasmanian coffee could damage a person unless you know exactly where to go....

Truly though...go. I'd love there if there was something for us to earn a comparable quid against.
What about the winter :smow: ?

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Coming from someone who moved to Brisbane 12 years ago:
Foody scene is really good, word of mouth is so important so if its bad half of hobart (and Launceston) know about it quick. Coffee is good, it is Tassie coffee which I find weak and hot compared to Brisbane, which suits the lifestyle (you need more)
Lifestyle points come from accessibility of everything. Beaches, walking, trails, schools. Nothing is far away.
Casual work can be hard to find, but there is some out there, but again local knowledge
98 is easy on the main route, but on the west and east coast can be harder to find. Used to carry a bottle of octane boost (again, 10 years ago, but I'm back there regularly)
Suburbs avoid sandy bay, most of glenorchy, clarendon vale, rokeby, glebe hill and mornington.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Cheaper ... yes....
More pleasant.... not a fucking hope....

Cold weather sucks balls......

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Cold weather makes you feel alive. Hot weather takes everything from you. Given I live semi-arid, I know which I'd prefer to ride in...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Easier to get warm than it is to stay cool...
Cheaper ... yes....
More pleasant.... not a fucking hope....

Cold weather sucks balls......

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I'm a Qlder, cold is not my thing, nope sorry.

A friend of mine moved down there just out of Launceston to be with his kids and tells me about the cold mornings and quite often in the winter only a few degrees.

Last edited:

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fuels important, and sadly it's still an issue in places, utes set for 98 only. I've done the google search and there's threads here but it's always good to get an update from those around.

Other regional places seem to of changed quiet abit lately, was evident on holiday recently And I'm sure 1978 had its merits! :p and aslong as a beach is under an hour I'd be happy.
98 is available at a lot of places, but you may have to plan ahead if going somewhere weird aka, i'm going to drive from st helens to hobart and i'm leaving at 9pm on a sunday night with a 1/4 tank, then you're going to be in trouble (for any fuel, let alone 98)...
not sure you can be anywhere in the state that's anywhere near decent riding that's going to be an hour from a beach

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a Qlder, cold is not my thing, nope sorry.

A friend of mine moved down there just out of Launceston to be with his kids and tells me about cold the mornings and quite often in the winter only a few degrees.
haha, yeah I hated the heat when I lived in Brisbane...thing is, when it's 32 in Brisbane, it's like 27-28 down here...and it was 30 here on wednesday. But then a while ago, road ride, at around 12 pm it was still -3.5 and I was covered in ice,brilliant.

Flow-Rider

Burner
98 is available at a lot of places, but you may have to plan ahead if going somewhere weird aka, i'm going to drive from st helens to hobart and i'm leaving at 9pm on a sunday night with a 1/4 tank, then you're going to be in trouble (for any fuel, let alone 98)...
not sure you can be anywhere in the state that's anywhere near decent riding that's going to be an hour from a beach
Buy some fuel additive to add to the fuel tank or don't flog the crap out of the car so that it pings it's head off.

Flow-Rider

Burner
haha, yeah I hated the heat when I lived in Brisbane...thing is, when it's 32 in Brisbane, it's like 27-28 down here...and it was 30 here on wednesday. But then a while ago, road ride, at around 12 pm it was still -3.5 and I was covered in ice,brilliant.
You need to come up here for the winter and go back there for the rest of the year. The spring and the summer seem to be really nice down there.