Hows tassie in the last 12 months

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Buy some fuel additive to add to the fuel tank or don't flog the crap out of the car so that it pings it's head off.
I used to work in the last servo open on the east coast (sorell 20 min north of hobart till 11pm) and all the time you'd have peopel coming in at 10:30 going OMG weve been on empty since forever... or a call, can you stay open...

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You need to come up here for the winter and go back there for the rest of the year. The spring and the summer seem to be really nice down there.
Nope when we lived there, we went to NZ for the winter, still too hot to stay in brisbane haha

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I moved down here in 2011. I friggin love it. Sydney can go fuck itself.
Heaps less people everywhere. You never have to share the beach/trails/movie cinema/cafe/car park/pub/whatever with 10 million other punters like you do on the mainland.
Real estate is cheaper. Fuel & food are more. Same-Same net-net.
The people are my favourite thing. Friendlier, more relaxed, don't care what The Jones's are doing. People in Tas generally have a little more time to stop & chat. A little more time to help their neighbours. They don't whine & whinge much either.
Also, it feels like less rules & regulations & local council bullshit. Less public restrictions on everything.

What else.....
Weather - it is farken cold sometimes. But, you get a genuine 4 season year. You really appreciate the different seasons. I like that. Cold weather brings out the best in people too ( it's been studied )
Summer is so under-rated here by people from other places. It's a long, late, HOT summer. Latitude makes summer days very long & it rarely rains from Dec to April.

Coffee - I'm a coffee fanatic. Most cafes around the state (I tour around a lot) serve utter shit. But, if you search around there are a few gems that know what they're doing. Just remember them for next time.
Conversely, Lots of good bean roasters for brewing at home. (Infuse Coffee in Burnie are exceptional)
Beer - the brewery-to-punter ratio is ridiculous. There's so much craft beer & beer culture in Tas you'd wanna put a spare liver on ice for later.

Fresh food - Amazing. My wife is a fanatical 'foodie' & we eat like kings. Fresh, local, organic, un-fucked farm gate food is easy to get. Anyone eating shit food in Tas needs their head checked.
Good local produce is everywhere.

Mtn Biking
Well, I don't need to say much. It's phenomenal. Blue Derby, Hollybank, North-South Wellington, Maydena (on the way), plus heaps of others I've ridden or am yet to suss out...
And nowhere is ever a really long drive to get to.

Few negatives....
-Rock bands never come here enough (especially in the north)
Launceston's live music scene is pathetic.

-If you're a surfer (I am/was) and you're not living right on the coast it can be a pain. Long drives for little reward are frequent. There's tons of beautiful beaches to visit if you're not too fussy about the surf....but local knowledge (formed from years & years of commitment) is the only way to consistently score epic waves down here. I've almost given up on it because it's hard to time a surf trip correctly from Launceston if you're time-poor.

-Work can be hard to find starting from scratch. I'd recommend having something semi-ready before you jumped over (if possible?)
I think there's a bit of a construction surge going on lately..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
You need to come up here for the winter and go back there for the rest of the year. The spring and the summer seem to be really nice down there.
I used to work in the last servo open on the east coast (sorell 20 min north of hobart till 11pm) and all the time you'd have peopel coming in at 10:30 going OMG weve been on empty since forever... or a call, can you stay open...
Sums up my last visit, rolled into delorine with under 2L left, had come up the central hwy, dirt roads, light snow etc. Rolled down the backside in neutral and motor off. The young girl at the servo was great, says it's all too common for those who have come over.

Could always get the ute retuned but I'd rather be aware and keep a spare fuel can full for worst case situations.

Sounds like its best to byo coffee beans! Got a place here that kills it, may just have to keep a supply.

Cold doesn't really phase me, grew up in high country, anything over 30 you can all keep, ditto for anything remotely humid.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Am contemplating a transer to the Hobart outpost of the department I work for even though the job I have is great and the job there is terrible - but its Hobart and not Canberra... I lived in West Hobart for 6 months a few years ago and felt at home immediately - I am loathe to talk up just how awesome it is lest all you bastards move there too!

As a Melburnian coffee snob, I was perfectly happy there and you could buy the beans from my favourite Melbourne roaster at a cafe in the cbd anyway. Its better now though, and even Canberra has decent coffee.

Hobart is in my view a mini Melbourne - without the insanity and costs and traffic etc... We can thank the influx of hipsters on the back of the whole MONA caper and its associated festivals to a large degree I think, and the steady decline of forestry as a source of income and the associated move to tourism, especially eco tourism. Its way less bogon (at least if you stay on the right side of the Flannelette Curtain) than you'd think, although head out to the classic country pub on a friday night and its still there.

The weather is so so good. Queensland and it hot and humid can eat a dick... There is snow in winter (sometimes snow in summer!) on Mt Wellington and there are proper seasons and rainstorms and wonderful warm summer days. It rarely gets super hot which is awesome, but a lack of ozone means if you're pale skinned you're fucked. Its warmer in winter and cooler in summer than Canberra and thats a win for me!

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So Hobart...is there good/reliable:
- riding?
- public transport?
- fishing?
- Affordable houses?
- blind/desperate women?

I believe the food and coffee has already been vouched for.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So Hobart...is there good/reliable:
- riding? - loads (so long as you like hills... and when you think hills...think again)
- public transport? - its there, but not as you know it if you're from a major city.
- fishing? - apparently heaps
- Affordable houses? - we don't think it is, but compared to the the mainland, very.
- blind/desperate women? - if' you're also blind/desperate, you couldn't count them...

I believe the food and coffee has already been vouched for.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Heaps less people everywhere. You never have to share the beach/trails/movie cinema/cafe/car park/pub/whatever with 10 million other punters like you do on the mainland.
The people are my favourite thing. Friendlier, more relaxed, don't care what The Jones's are doing. People in Tas generally have a little more time to stop & chat. A little more time to help their neighbours. They don't whine & whinge much either.
Also, it feels like less rules & regulations & local council bullshit. Less public restrictions on everything.

What else.....
Weather - it is farken cold sometimes. But, you get a genuine 4 season year. You really appreciate the different seasons. I like that. Cold weather brings out the best in people too ( it's been studied )
Summer is so under-rated here by people from other places. It's a long, late, HOT summer. Latitude makes summer days very long & it rarely rains from Dec to April.

Coffee - I'm a coffee fanatic. Most cafes around the state (I tour around a lot) serve utter shit. But, if you search around there are a few gems that know what they're doing. Just remember them for next time.
Conversely, Lots of good bean roasters for brewing at home. (Infuse Coffee in Burnie are exceptional)
Beer - the brewery-to-punter ratio is ridiculous. There's so much craft beer & beer culture in Tas you'd wanna put a spare liver on ice for later.

Fresh food - Amazing. My wife is a fanatical 'foodie' & we eat like kings. Fresh, local, organic, un-fucked farm gate food is easy to get. Anyone eating shit food in Tas needs their head checked.

Mtn Biking
Well, I don't need to say much. It's phenomenal. Blue Derby, Hollybank, North-South Wellington, Maydena (on the way), plus heaps of others I've ridden or am yet to suss out...

Few negatives....

-If you're a surfer (I am/was) and you're not living right on the coast it can be a pain. Long drives for little reward are frequent. There's tons of beautiful beaches to visit if you're not too fussy about the surf....but local knowledge (formed from years & years of commitment) is the only way to consistently score epic waves down here. I've almost given up on it because it's hard to time a surf trip correctly from Launceston if you're time-poor.

-Work can be hard to find starting from scratch. I'd recommend having something semi-ready before you jumped over (if possible?)

with mona they've gotten a lot more bigger acts to get down here.

Next year we've got mayhem coming down, we've had marduk i'm sure mona would listen to suggestions since I actually mentioned mayhem to them and here we are.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere

What else.....

Mtn Biking

Few negatives....

Thanks for the detailed reply! Smashed that out pretty well! Not worried about surfing so much, just like swimming in the ocean and odd body surf when I can, good for the body.

Live music doesn't really phase me, not super into anything that comes to aus much anyways.

Drink wise, how's the whiskey cider business? Got a solid supply but always good to try new stuff.

Weather sounds on point, work wise is the part to sus out, in the bike industry so there's not as much as the mainland, going to add the coaching ticket and maybe guiding if helps the all rounder approach.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Spent my teenage years in Tasmania. Left to go study etc.

Would love to get back there! I try and go down once a year to see my old high school mates. The place has changed a lot since the 90s (even early 2000s). Changed for the better - but thats because the population is still "quaint". That could change with an influx of people. But without many jobs to go around - that might take another generation. I hope :)

Yeah, running a little pub near a bike park - that could be OK (wonder why they are selling? - clientele dropping off? retiring?)

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
(wonder why they are selling? - clientele dropping off? retiring?)
Probably the first chance in decades that they would off load it and get a good price. Most of the homes in Derby have been sold for accommodation and Maydena is no different.

Our club, (Cradle Coast Mountain Bike Club) is about to start a large trail project in the Dial Range behind the Penguin Mountain Bike Park.

The little town of Latrobe (near Devonport) where I live is joining the Kentish council (with towns of Railton and Sheffield) with a new trail project that has been in the pipeline for the last few years. Around 100km of trails around and linking the three towns and will be called "Wild Mersey". Building hopefully will kick off in December.

The Mersey Valley Devonport Cycling Club is also building more trail in Kelcey Tiers behind Devonport adding to the trails my club has built there.

Derby is starting stage 2, St Helens is getting a good amount of trails, and Hobart's Meehan range has a lot of expansion and improvements going on.

In a couple of years we will be spoilt for trails in Tassie

Skydome

Probably the first chance in decades that they would off load it and get a good price. Most of the homes in Derby have been sold for accommodation and Maydena is no different.

Our club, (Cradle Coast Mountain Bike Club) is about to start a large trail project in the Dial Range behind the Penguin Mountain Bike Park.

The little town of Latrobe (near Devonport) where I live is joining the Kentish council (with towns of Railton and Sheffield) with a new trail project that has been in the pipeline for the last few years. Around 100km of trails around and linking the three towns and will be called "Wild Mersey". Building hopefully will kick off in December.

The Mersey Valley Devonport Cycling Club is also building more trail in Kelcey Tiers behind Devonport adding to the trails my club has built there.

Derby is starting stage 2, St Helens is getting a good amount of trails, and Hobart's Meehan range has a lot of expansion and improvements going on.

In a couple of years we will be spoilt for trails in Tassie
Lets not forget ole Inda trying to get the cable car up and running at Mt.Roland which from speaking to one of his reps on the facebook page have indicated they will cater for mountain biking and have already gotten dirt art involved.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Lets not forget ole Inda trying to get the cable car up and running at Mt.Roland which from speaking to one of his reps on the facebook page have indicated they will cater for mountain biking and have already gotten dirt art involved.
I'm going to need a bigger wallet...

Skydome

I'm going to need a bigger wallet...
its got a while to go, I realistically expect anything physically to start happening till around 2020 but so far everything has been positive, his first two studies has indicated both financial and technical feasibility, the tough part will be getting it through the thick heads of greenies who will no doubt try and block it but i feel with people seeing the benefits of the derby trails and soon Maydena bike park it should be a bit easier to get it through and I would hope that would moreso be the case in the north west since we always miss out on the jobs up here when south gets them all.

but yeah with derby, maydena, and etc we're all gonna need thicker wallets

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How so? I think it's great, there's a great start with what we already have, and even better with what is to come, half full from my perspective
You haven't looked at your options for a mtb holiday in Australia? We let you guys in without a passport these days, even if you come by boat! The best part is compared to nsw Boom King and co have lots of options easily accessible.