Hows tassie in the last 12 months

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
It's 'whisky' you muppet. We'll have none of that mick bogwater thank you very much
Only when referring to scotch whisky. The general classification is whiskey, which is the proper use when referring to the scottish and tasmanian varieties.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
What's Acton park like? looks semi rural but only about 20 mins into town which appeals.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Semi rural subdivision for the most part with 5 acre blocks. Depending on where there are good views over Frederick Henry Bay. Nearby Roches and Seven Mile Beaches are good spots and Single Hill has some nice XC trails.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Tourism could use some work in Derby at least, a very mixed experience there today.

I couldn’t find any decent directions to the top of the blue tier, so I stuck my head into the bike shop - was met with indifference when it became clear my partner was driving me there and not their shuttle service, and then got guilted into buying a map on a hanky - something about it supporting the trails... Met the same company at the top of blue tier and I commented on it being hard to find, and he said he didn’t want to expend energy helping people who were not paying for his shuttle. Bit of a shit attitude I thought... and I felt really peeved I’d been conned the $20 for the map thingy. Met a council dude at the bottom who confirmed the council pays for the trails and those guys don’t contribute financially.

Anyway. It’s a bit unfriendly for those wanting to rock in on their own steam. Freaking awesome trails though!! Atlas was pretty technical and brutal towards the bottom, very cool. Saw a huge tiger snake (yep, brakes work!!) and an echidna.
I assume it was Vertigo that you spoke to, or Mad MTB? They did try to get the road to the Black Stump closed for private shuttle traffic and managed to get council to put up a sign "recommending" not to self shuttle up the road but as it's public road that can't stop you.
Yes the trails are funded by State, Federal and Local money. The council will charge $10 per rider for any event organiser but the shuttle guys. as far as I'm aware don't pay for anything. They provide a well needed service same as any other business but that's all.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Goodness. That’s an interesting approach. Was it both companies trying that on or just the one?

Haakon

There was a vertigo group at the top of Atlas standing around getting their briefing. I got some surprised “where the hell did you come from?!” looks as I came into the area fast and punched straight into the trail head, making some of step out the way smartly Not too many ride up there I guess

rstim

Likes Dirt
Tourism could use some work in Derby at least, a very mixed experience there today.

I couldn’t find any decent directions to the top of the blue tier, so I stuck my head into the bike shop - was met with indifference when it became clear my partner was driving me there and not their shuttle service, and then got guilted into buying a map on a hanky - something about it supporting the trails... Met the same company at the top of blue tier and I commented on it being hard to find, and he said he didn’t want to expend energy helping people who were not paying for his shuttle. Bit of a shit attitude I thought... and I felt really peeved I’d been conned the $20 for the map thingy. Met a council dude at the bottom who confirmed the council pays for the trails and those guys don’t contribute financially.

Anyway. It’s a bit unfriendly for those wanting to rock in on their own steam. Freaking awesome trails though!! Atlas was pretty technical and brutal towards the bottom, very cool. Saw a huge tiger snake (yep, brakes work!!) and an echidna.
The money from the map/hankey or Mankey as they call them does go back to the council to help fund the trail maintenance. They had this article in the local paper so don't feel like you were fully ripped off.
Still not very good the attitude towards you self shuttling, if anyone needs directions or a tour guide riding partner let me know more than happy to help/ ride if I can.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner

Can you find it on the Strava maps ?

Haakon

Cheers, I’ll be back at some point so you may see me :)

Glad to hear it on the manky thing. Although I forgot that pocket had a hole in it so it’s somewhere within about 5kms of the Blue Tier trail head...

Flow-Rider

Burner
It was driving directions I was looking for.
Can't you work out what roads to go on to reach the trail heads, that's all I've ever done in past when I'm riding an area that's unknown to me. I don't bother asking people because 9/10 times they don't know or confuse you anyway.

Haakon

That’s true, and I had done some looking and it turned out I was right the first time. But I was a bit unsure though, so thought it would be nothing to quickly stick my head into the local bike shop to confirm my findings.

Anyway, no need to bag the locals just thought it was odd. Still a top day and the local council deserves top marks for trail design and building. Certainly made me glad I’d taken the Trance and not the Anthem!!!

Last edited:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
That’s true, and I had done some looking and it turned out I was right the first time. But I was a bit unsure though, so thought it would be nothing to quickly stick my head into the local bike shop to confirm my findings.

Anyway, no need to bag the locals just thought it was odd. Still a top day and the local council deserves top marks for trail design and building. Certainly made me glad I’d taken the Trance and not the Anthem!!!
Yep a 130 - 150 trail bike is the top choice for most of the trails at Derby

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Semi rural subdivision for the most part with 5 acre blocks. Depending on where there are good views over Frederick Henry Bay. Nearby Roches and Seven Mile Beaches are good spots and Single Hill has some nice XC trails.
Thanks Rangersac, yeah it's a 5 acre block that we're looking at- just getting a idea of decent places atm but this one ticks quite a few boxes.

Haakon

Yep a 130 - 150 trail bike is the top choice for most of the trails at Derby
yeah, the second half of Atlas in particular - pretty brutal at speed and quite technical. Certainly kept me on my toes and used every bit of my suspension!

Super fun :)

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I have just got back from a 3week trip in tassie.
1 week in Derby, 4 rest days in Coles Bay then 7 days at MAYFUCKINGDENA !!!11!!1!!1!!!!11!
If you go to Derby, go to the locals bar across the road from Vertigo. The Federal Tavern, cool old country pub.
Use MAD MTB for shuttles, good dude..
The guy at vert acts like he built the town and trails.
Support the locals cause they are getting a raw deal.
I didn't have a good time on Atlas, about 4K in I smash the rear mech off cutting a corner a bit tight and hit a rock.
Up until then I had a great time then the rest of the way was chainless..

Delazy

Got a new bike!
The guy at vert acts like he built the town and trails.
Support the locals cause they are getting a raw deal.
Plenty of vert. groupies on here..so don't be surprised if you get hate..

I know I'll keep using the other guy personally however..

binner

Hath shat hymself
Plenty of vert. groupies on here..so don't be surprised if you get hate..

I know I'll keep using the other guy personally however..
Who is the "other guy" PM me if you feel more comfy saying. Used Buck twice now but yeah, If I hear him say "hero dirt"once more Im' going to pop. We said the same once whilst in his van about shuttling ourselves and he was not really happy to hear that we were going to give it a go. Classic one where you had to be there to see the faces.... He came into Di's pub in Winnaleah late one nite when kitchen was closed once with some council suits n parks guys talking it up trying to get a feed and Di said "nah" go back to Derby. Was awesome to watch......
Will be down there again in late Nov to try again. Hopefully he doesn't run the other out of business before we get there.

Haakon

It seems an odd way to run a business. I've never run a small business so happy to concede I'm talking out of my arse here, but it seems to me that a small business in a place like that would go out of its way to be friendly and accommodating. You cant afford to be putting people off I'd have thought.

Hearing that he tried to have public access blocked to a piece of infrastructure that was publicly funded and he profits from strikes me as poor form and not in the spirit of sport we all love. Hope there's more to it than that.

But being rude and dismissive to punters who innocently decide to self shuttle is odd. They lost any future business from me and potentially from anyone I relate the experience to. I suspect the other guy will do well at this rate...