HSP Trail Bikes

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
looks great, I'd love a go of one.

maybe, might kinda not really sway me to wagon wheels. maybe.

probably not but I still wanna have a crack.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
First ever integrated 'seatstay protector' !
Looks interesting.
That seat tube diameter looks huge.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you have to buy two chains to get one of these rolling?
I'd say so, unless you can order chains in a longer length.

Bike looks interesting. The design used to be primarily relegated to DH sleds so I'd be interested to see how they work on a trail bike with pedaling efficiency etc.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I like pulley driven HSP bikes. I remember lusting after a Brooklyn Machine Works Racelink back in the day.

I'd say so, unless you can order chains in a longer length.

Bike looks interesting. The design used to be primarily relegated to DH sleds so I'd be interested to see how they work on a trail bike with pedaling efficiency etc.
In theory the HSP can have all sorts of interesting anti-squat characteristics depending on pulley placement. Even with the pulley placed at the pivot point there should be >100% anti squat under power. This should lead to very good pedalling efficiency.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
this kind of design would be more suited to bikes who don't have pedaling as the main way they move forward, rather gravity.

you would lose efficiency taking the chain up through a gear with no obvious gain apart from clearance around the rear swing arm (and less chance of chain drop) although clutch rear dérailleur has lessened that chance.

also to compensate they've wrapped the chain tightly around the front ring, so drive line is being forced through different routes compared to simplicity of standard set up.

what's really needed is to eliminate the rear dérailleur as we're knocking those off.

what they're trying to do could be done with the shaft drive that's integrated into rear swing arm. .... maybe too expensive.
shaftdrive.jpg

Ultra Lord

Problem with high anti squat though is increased pedal feeback and crap bump absorbtion :/

That commencal definately suits my sensibilities more than this, but I still wouldn’t turn this one down.

And I still lust after one of those brooklyn machineworks jobbies! So good

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've also heard issues around driveline inefficiencies with the extra pulley and chain alignment/length.

I'm sure it's only a few percent if so though. If they can sort out the platform it would be awesome on a longer travel trail bike.

Oddjob

this kind of design would be more suited to bikes who don't have pedaling as the main way they move forward, rather gravity.

you would lose efficiency taking the chain up through a gear with no obvious gain apart from clearance around the rear swing arm (and less chance of chain drop) although clutch rear dérailleur has lessened that chance.

also to compensate they've wrapped the chain tightly around the front ring, so drive line is being forced through different routes compared to simplicity of standard set up.

what's really needed is to eliminate the rear dérailleur as we're knocking those off.

what they're trying to do could be done with the shaft drive that's integrated into rear swing arm. .... maybe too expensive.
View attachment 346891
And too unreliable. There's a reason why BMW don't run shaft drive on their Dakar bikes.

Problem with high anti squat though is increased pedal feeback and crap bump absorbtion :/

That commencal definately suits my sensibilities more than this, but I still wouldn’t turn this one down.

And I still lust after one of those brooklyn machineworks jobbies! So good
It depends. The anti-squat should only occur under power and unlike a normal single pivot, it's due to the traction of the rear wheel rather than chain torque.

Mmmm BMW.

Ultra Lord

yep. that's why I want one :)

I'm more than happy to swap no pedal bob for a more active rear end atm. Just waitin for the warden V2's to drop next year and I should build up a new rig.

Need me some hope brakes first though I reckon.

Oddjob

But it still has the dreaded brake jack. The only real solution is a floating brake mount a la BMW.