hub spacing

KonaAlec

Likes Dirt
I have a frame with a 130mm spacing between the two rear drop outs, is there a way to make a hub with a 120mm spacing fit

cheers

s73v30

Likes Dirt
If its steel yes can. Aluminum no. If its steal you cold either heat it or try bend it with force. However it could make your wheel line of a tad.

DISCLAIMER: If it fucks up I take no responsibility. Having said that I have done myself twice and it worked fine.

Stacks!

Likes Dirt
just use some extra locknuts on the axel to fill up the 10mm difference. gear changing will be interesting but this way there's no frame manipulation.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
I have a frame with a 130mm spacing between the two rear drop outs, is there a way to make a hub with a 120mm spacing fit

cheers
What frame are you referring to ? Are u sure it's 130mm ? I think you'll find it's 135mm as this is a common MTB frame rear spacing.

On the topic of 120mm hubs, once again I haven't seen a 120mm spaced hub but if you are referring to a BMX rear hub you will find that these have are 110mm spaced.

KonaAlec

Likes Dirt
it is an old steel road frame, i wont be having gears as it my single speed/fixie project.
the hubs are the surly hubs for sale in the fixie thread

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
Just put a 10mm hub spacers, in between the locknut and cone. You might need to play around with it a bit to get the chainline right. I think you'll need to put the spacers on the non-drive side. I am running a wheel like this, you have to redish the wheel too, so its not ideal but works ok.

Last edited:

Dicky

Punter God
5mm each side.

Your local bolt shop should have some reasonably accurate washers / spacers.
Contact Bomond Trading (I *think* they're national) if you can't find a shop.

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
5mm out is enough to cause a problem! It should be within a one or two mm. You trust your life in you chain. Believe me, I speak from experience!