Hubs that don't engage when you ride backwards?

stylinruss

Likes Dirt
I've been watching some videos recently and some street riders seem to be using hubs that allow them to roll backwards without pedaling backwards. I don't see how this can work with a regular ratchet type hub, I haven't checked out what the story with silent clutch hubs is so that could be it, if anyone knows let me know.

Ty

Eats Squid
on a MTB it's easy, take off the last cog on ya cassette and replace it with a metal spacer, shift down onto this and then you can roll backwards without pedaling backwards. just shift down to re-engage.

on a BMX it's a bit harder, you get a old school coaster brake and i think cut the braking arm off it,(the part that attatches to the frame)

Ty

Eats Squid
also make sure you can actualy ride fakie before you try this. or else you'll just look like a tool when you try and halfcab out.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
u can get proper hubs taht dont engage tehr called free coast hubs i got no idea how they work but ive seen ppl with them

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah some bmx'rs use freecoaster hubs, it'd be cool if i could actaully ride backwards...

Ryan

Radministrator
It's called a neutral gear, Block 8 make special ones or you can just do as Ty suggested and whack a spacer on in place of your lower gear / gears.

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Freecoasters work on a clutch type mechanism. The cog screws in and out of the driver. It's hard to explain without seeing one. Only problem with coasters is that there is a lot of slack to take up when you start pedaling again.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Ty said:
you get a old school coaster brake and i think cut the braking arm off it,(the part that attatches to the frame)
That can work, but it's pretty sketch, the best bit is to use a proper freecoaster, or just learn to ride fakie while backpedalling....