Human behaviour - humans are strange

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I'm by no means homophobic (or should that be LGBTIphobic these days, or for future readers A-through-Z-and-0-through-9-phobic?) but is it just me or has the world gone stark raving mad over gender equality? Case in point - Tasmania considering allowing gender to be optional on birth certificates. Have we suddenly forgotten 2 million years of biology where until recently it was a fairly established fact that it took a male and a female of the species to make another? How do people go about explaining this to their kids?

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Humans behaviour is strange at times. Bjork was onto it years ago.

Wednesday night in the city, cars blocking intersections all over the place. Way more than usual. I think it was because it was raining. But all of these humans were sitting safe and dry inside a steel box.
What is up with that? Is it an instinctual thing to get home quickly if it’s raining?

What other strange behaviour have you observed in humans?
Maybe they are just shit at driving in the wet?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Driving on a multi lane highway is an insight into the human psyche. People are free to do largely whatever they want and what a select bunch want is to be inconsiderate and selfish twats spoiling it for everyone else.

I don't even think its deliberate. Courtesy for someone else doesn't even enter their mental universe.
Unless you’re German. Autobahns work so well.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I spend 40mins a day on a freeway and am constantly amazed at how people interact on the road!

I can’t imagine the chaos when my now 18month old is driving himself, that’s a scary thought!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
10 years ago I would have punched this pompous twat in the neck... can't believe how much attitudes have changed since the days you got a beaten for being a dick.

This happened about a year ago...

Riding with my 2 boys, some twat with headphones in and dark black sunnies is poncing down the trail, his dog runs runs up barking and starts jumping up on my boys.

I tell him 2-3 times to get his dog under control, he tells me this trail is allowed unleashed dogs on it... I tell him YES but they need to be under control, not jumping on people or killing local wildlife, so get it on the leash now !

He then starts telling me my tone is aggressive (his dog still jumping up on my boy, which I have now just pushed away with my bike) and his dog has every right to be off the lead. Then says my aggressive attitude is making him feel intimidated and he no longer wanted to discuss it with me... and I have assaulted his dog.

How has society changed so much that a 60kg streak of piss who has no respect for what his dog was doing (scaring my boy) or fear because they think they are right... and society says they can be offended and stand up people who bully and say things that offend them.
I'm no bully, but I was really pissed off he wouldn't take the dog under control and stop it jumping on my kids... and I would literally kill for my family... I was near in shock of how deserving and overbearing this idiot was.... I shook my head as he walked away head in the air as if he had won... Seriously, if this is representative of the next generation of adults, we are in trouble.
I think that's where the sense of entitlement stems from. "I'm allowed to have feelings". Well, yes, same as I'm allowed to keep my children safe.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I think that's where the sense of entitlement stems from. "I'm allowed to have feelings". Well, yes, same as I'm allowed to keep my children safe.
He nearly got the feeling of my fist on his face... but something made me hold it together. In hindsight, it was the right outcome, 10-15yrs ago I didn't think about these things though.

Probably a good thing, not a good example to set your kids... suppose my road rage outbursts are not really a good example either.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
The inability to feed themselves.

No other species needs to go on a "diet".

Same for drinking. People around the office running around glued to a water bottle because they "have" to drive 2l a day.

No you don't. What you need to do is drink when you feel thirsty, and when you don't; don't.

Managed to survive using this approach for thousands of years yet in the last 10 or so, apparently some people have lost the ability to know when to have a drink.

John U

MTB Precision
I'm by no means homophobic (or should that be LGBTIphobic these days, or for future readers A-through-Z-and-0-through-9-phobic?) but is it just me or has the world gone stark raving mad over gender equality? Case in point - Tasmania considering allowing gender to be optional on birth certificates. Have we suddenly forgotten 2 million years of biology where until recently it was a fairly established fact that it took a male and a female of the species to make another? How do people go about explaining this to their kids?
Dunno about this. In the animal kingdom things seem to confused. All types of animals trying to get a ride on other animals regardless of eithers sex or, in some cases, species, eg, a female dog humping a human leg. Maybe the human interpretation is the odd one out.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Dunno about this. In the animal kingdom things seem to confused. All types of animals trying to get a ride on other animals regardless of eithers sex or, in some cases, species, eg, a female dog humping a human leg. Maybe the human interpretation is the odd one out.
I’m not questioning people’s orientation or choices, each to their own. I just feel that sometimes we’re taking things too far without any real benefit in the context of our structured society. It seems that we are too quick to bow to the needs of minorities simply because it’s the politically correct thing to do, despte there being no sense in doing so. It was meant as an extension to the present commentary on the sense of entitlement.

Change is inevitable though, so perhaps it is me hanging onto the dogma of my own upbringing that’s the issue here.

safreek

10 years ago I would have punched this pompous twat in the neck... can't believe how much attitudes have changed since the days you got a beaten for being a dick.

This happened about a year ago...

Riding with my 2 boys, some twat with headphones in and dark black sunnies is poncing down the trail, his dog runs runs up barking and starts jumping up on my boys.

I tell him 2-3 times to get his dog under control, he tells me this trail is allowed unleashed dogs on it... I tell him YES but they need to be under control, not jumping on people or killing local wildlife, so get it on the leash now !

He then starts telling me my tone is aggressive (his dog still jumping up on my boy, which I have now just pushed away with my bike) and his dog has every right to be off the lead. Then says my aggressive attitude is making him feel intimidated and he no longer wanted to discuss it with me... and I have assaulted his dog.

How has society changed so much that a 60kg streak of piss who has no respect for what his dog was doing (scaring my boy) or fear because they think they are right... and society says they can be offended and stand up people who bully and say things that offend them.
I'm no bully, but I was really pissed off he wouldn't take the dog under control and stop it jumping on my kids... and I would literally kill for my family... I was near in shock of how deserving and overbearing this idiot was.... I shook my head as he walked away head in the air as if he had won... Seriously, if this is representative of the next generation of adults, we are in trouble.
Hate to say it, but, should of punched him out of his sense of entitlement

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Boys at work and I have been slowly training the entitlement out of one of the young blokes. He's 21, still lives at home, mum still washes clothes and makes lunch, $120 per Fortnight board.

He tried telling us he was doing it tough. Didn't have spare cash as he HAD to drive down Bendigo/Melbourne two weeks out of three. We pointed out no one would die if he didn't, wasn't paying for rent, water, electricity, food, internet or children. He didn't HAVE to drive a VE Commodore, and everything he does he has a choice to not do.

He hasn't mentioned money since

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you haven't before, have a look at Hofstede's theory of cultural dimension. While it does have limitations and was originally kicked off a long time ago, it does provide a good way to begin to look at the way different cultures tend to operate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstede's_cultural_dimensions_theory

At an individual level Maslow's Hierarchy of needs is a long running favourite of mine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

Get out of here! Wikipedia is a really in depth academic platform, not some basic hack floater of partial information...it's accessible ok?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Humans are funny. I nearly cleaned up a fellow going the opposite way up the trail - culprit was on a merida ebike - go figure.