HuRT self sufficient bike "RIDE"

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is a project that QZ13 and PillWizard have been working on. Invite like minded people if they can look after themselves. Grand depart is November 5th. Its a work in progress so updates will come before the start. Expect a ???km loop with tonnes of single track.

HuRT - The rules
Firstly: This is not an organized, sanctioned or supported ride. By taking the start, you agree that you are self supported and are attempting this of your own volition. There is no central 'organization' of this event, it is a group of riders agreeing to ride on the same trail.

It's a race (against the clock) and an adventure. Safety comes first, speed comes second.

It will hurt - there are hills, rocks, navigational challenges & extreme terrain so ensure you are fit enough to attempt it. If you can't spend 12 hours in the saddle for 2 consecutive days, don't even think about it. Instead, use the GPS trail to ride the parts that look interesting and leave the non-stop pedaling for the nutters.

You ride at your own risk. Be prepared for things to go wrong, carry all your own safety gear.

There will not be anyone present to enforce the rules. Riders attempting the route are entering a gentleman's agreement to abide by the spirit of the event. Please respect your fellow riders and the route by strictly sticking to the race route i.e no shortcuts.

It is acceptable to deviate from the prescribed course (to resupply etc) however the rider must re-join the route at the same point at which they left it.

This is a self supported event. Riders are to receive no outside assistance during their individual time trial (ITT) attempt. Riders may receive assistance from other riders also attempting the ITT if their paths cross. Riders may seek assistance from services available to the general public. E.g - It is permissible to purchase food etc from a corner shop. It is not permissible to arrange a friend to meet you at a designated point on the trail with re-supply provisions.

Trail magic is OK. If you are met with a random act of kindness while out riding - you won't be disqualified so smile upon your fortune.

While this is designed to be a solo expedition, riders may ride in pairs/groups if they desire provided they maintain the self supported ethic. It is not acceptable for riders to share equipment items to reduce their luggage burden.

All riders should carry a SPOT. For more information about hiring them see the attached document with some suggestions of places that hire spots and GPS . This is a safety requirement of this event as riders will be in remote areas with no phone reception. Riders will not be considered eligible for completion of the event unless they have been carrying a spot for the event and their spot data is available for scrutiny.

Riders may attempt this route at any time during the year in their own time and their times will be included amongst the finishers list. There will be a grand depart date set for November 5th where riders will all depart from the start line at 6am. The grand depart is about meeting fellow riders and sharing pre race jitters and the stoke of exploring the great out doors.

The trail has been ridden/hiked in order to map it. At the time of mapping, the trail was considered safe however conditions change so use your discretion.

The precise legalities of trail access to all sections of the route are unknown. We have gone out of our way to avoid using trail sections where it is clear that trail access is not permitted. All trails included in this map are currently in use by numerous trail users however we accept no responsibility should issues of land access arise. Use you discretion, be polite and apologetic if issues arise - we have had no issues in the past and don't expect that you will either.

A GPX file can be found at http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95200447 which has been broken down into several smaller files for use in older GPS systems.

Cue sheets can be found in a separate attached document.

Navigation will be a critical component of this event. There will be large sections of single track which pass through a vast network of interconnecting trails. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to navigate this route without GPS, It is very easy to become lost. All riders should ensure they are thoroughly familiar with the operational characteristics of their GPS and we STRONGLY advise that all riders have attempted self supported navigation in the past before attempting this trail.

The route has been designed to pass as many facilities as possible however there will be significant distances between water sources. Riders must be prepared or this by carrying adequate water provisions and carrying equipment (pumps, tablets or steripens) to sterilize their own water should they require it.

The route will be a mixture of public roads (sealed and unsealed) and single track. Competitors must obey all standard road rules at all times - remember: cars are bigger than you!

The trail will have sections which are impossible to ride (unless you are AK) and will require significant hike-a-bikes. This allows us to access some of the most amazing parts of the Hunter Valley and riders are encouraged to revel in the suffering that will ensue. The climb up to Barraba Trig follows the Great North Walk which is a trail specifically for walkers. It is expected that all riders will dismount and walk this section of trail (your going to have to anyway - it goes straight up).

Only leave tyre tracks and take only memories and photos. You carried all rubbish in with you so take it out with you as well.

keep up to date here
http://www.facebook.com/groups/190943500957500/

Last edited:

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
Instead of using a SPOT, i am trying to find an android phone equivalent.
anybody know about such things?
Can it get you out of trouble when you are in an area with zero phone reception and your leg is broken? The spot requirement is more about ensuring the safety of riders, trail auditing is just a nifty by product.

oh, an HuRT is good!

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can it get you out of trouble when you are in an area with zero phone reception and your leg is broken? The spot requirement is more about ensuring the safety of riders, trail auditing is just a nifty by product.

oh, an HuRT is good!
ahh good point, what if i brought Lassie along , she'll know what to do, better off i should bring Skippy.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-SPOT...0482189002?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item519a5dcaca

would that work over here if bought from the US?

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
There are plenty around, but for a lot of the race ride you're out of mobile coverage areas so we can't track you from the comfort of out lounge chairs

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are plenty around, but for a lot of the race ride you're out of mobile coverage areas so we can't track you from the comfort of out lounge chairs
but you'll be there riding along side me won't you..............................................................won't you?

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I get past Neath, I'll be at the Kearsley....then the Kitchener....then the Australian...then Paxton.......this is all assuming Phil is not at the Staion.

Ash C

Cannon Fodder
Yep then give up an back track to the start carb loading all the way......

Bring on the Hurt

m_g

Likes Dirt
im freakin excited!!!

I've been waiting ages for something like this (just not experienced to organise myself)...Will give it a crack late this year I think, I'm away for the grand depart...awesome work guys!!!

the route sounds gnarly...Is a dually recommended? Is a cyclo x/touring bike out of the question?

cheers

Last edited:

QZ13

Likes Dirt
the route sounds gnarly...Is a dually recommended? Is a cyclo x/touring bike out of the question?
ride what you brung!

all trails have been ridden on a rigid ss. you will need to touch your arse on the back tyre on a few sections and some of the climbs will hurt... lots. a solid bikepacking set up is recommended though, as in too much sniggle to warrant aerobars and/or panniers but if thats what you've got...

best thing would be grab some data or hit up the BFO and check it out for yourself

i'm running frame/seat/bar bag setup which works for me