DH I am Legend/Out for Blood... Mk2

S.

ex offender
I was lucky enough to be on the pre-production test program for Banshee with the original Legend Mk1, 50 or so riders around the world rode them into the ground to find out what worked and what didn't. Keith Scott, Banshee's designer/engineer, took all our feedback on board to develop the Mk2. Some things on the Mk1 were awesome, namely the composure of the bike at speed, the geometry and the stability, but some things frankly sucked, like bushings eating into pivots and developing lots of slop (bearings instead of bushings now), swingarms cracking (redesigned and significantly reinforced in that area now), rear Maxle... wait no that one's still there, but at least it's a new design of Maxle that maybe will take more than a month before it snaps. Anyway easy fix for that if something does go wrong. Which it probably will. F**king stupid axles.

Maxles aside (ok really, what were you thinking with that one RS?), after much waiting I finally got my hands on a Mk2 frame. Pretty much every single part of the frame has been updated from the Mk1, from forged links and shock canoe (instead of CNC'd) to the redesigned swingarm, slightly altered suspension kinematics, sealed cartridge bearings instead of IGUS bushings, and of course lower and slacker geometry (not that the originals weren't already low or slack!).

The spec is somewhat of a work in progress, whilst it's entirely rideable right now it needs a few small changes to the setup; lower stem so I can see over the bars instead of under them, e13 chainguide, some small parts like fork bumpers and chainstay protection, new shock spring and some work done to the fork. Rear tyre was a freebie too, interested to see how it goes.

Living off noodles and toilet water as a result of buying stuff I didn't really *need* for the bike, but on the flip side, the bike is good to go, Whistler bike park opens in 2 weeks, and I have my season pass. Tough life :)
P5010800.JPGP5010801.JPGP5010803.JPGP5010802.JPG

Magura

Likes Dirt
That's a real nice ride you got there!

On the Maxle theme: I feel your pain, even I have broken one, and I'm not the kind that brakes stuff all the time.
It's a case of "go home, and try again" RS.

Magura :)

nitrous to burn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeahh Niiiccee!
New Mk2 looks the goods. Good to know that Banshee put it through so much testing after designs to analyze what was shit and what was good on the first frame, to improve for the second. Definetely will be on my list of frames for a change in the next year or so.
Tom.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Like most things {usually} the second model has most of the bugs sorted out..{every time i ride my 08 jamis parker i,m wondering if the chainstays gonna break !! so far it,s ok} Your bike looks "shit hot" and strong as well..!! Enjoy Whistler bud..:):):)

S.

ex offender
i think i met you in the bike park last summer, its steve yeah? you sucked, no wonder you cracked the mk1
Oh hi, you must be Jared, of Kootenay Hucker Gravatron Wilson fame. How's that Glory going? Removed any headsets lately?

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
Oh hi, you must be Jared, of Kootenay Hucker Gravatron Wilson fame. How's that Glory going? Removed any headsets lately?
that hurts steve. we can settle this in the park, specialy aline chainless!!!
haha
sweet rig tho. gona be good to get back out there and ride with ya again this season, maybe a few helmet cam runs thrown in to

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
Do you guys no Will? He is a bit afraid of wheat I think, but has a sweet wolf spirit shirt to protect him. Have you done the A Line drop on that bike? I hear it's about 35ft? Bender has done it, no one else though. Are you a world cup racer? I can see the rainbow stripes on the shock, or is it a gay pride thing? Thats cool though, more power to you!

S.

ex offender
Do you guys no Will? He is a bit afraid of wheat I think, but has a sweet wolf spirit shirt to protect him. Have you done the A Line drop on that bike? I hear it's about 35ft? Bender has done it, no one else though. Are you a world cup racer? I can see the rainbow stripes on the shock, or is it a gay pride thing? Thats cool though, more power to you!
I think I know Will. Is he friends with that Village People guy with the shaved head and the bikie goatee?

I haven't done the A-line drop, it's so big that it gives you excellent views over the valley though. I had to sit down near the edge because I'm afraid of heights.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
The canoe / "jaw bone of an ass" seems more refined (read: less bulky and blocky) well compared to your Mk1 pics anywho.

looking forward to some commentary.

S.

ex offender
The canoe / "jaw bone of an ass" seems more refined (read: less bulky and blocky) well compared to your Mk1 pics anywho.

looking forward to some commentary.
The shock canoe is almost identical except for the fact that it's forged instead of machined, so there aren't the same machining marks all over it like the Mk1.

Got my first run in today, down a soggy A-line. All I can really tell so far is that it's long and needs to be set up properly.

OT

Likes Dirt
..... but some things frankly sucked, like bushings eating into pivots and developing lots of slop (bearings instead of bushings now....
They still use bushings on there other frames, was this just a problem with the dh frame? I've just built up a Rampant and I'm a bit worried now!

S.

ex offender
They still use bushings on there other frames, was this just a problem with the dh frame? I've just built up a Rampant and I'm a bit worried now!
As far as I know, yeah. Keith said ~50% of the Mk1s were problem-free and the other 50% were massively problematic, which is weird. DH bikes cop far more abuse than other bikes though.

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
I think I know Will. Is he friends with that Village People guy with the shaved head and the bikie goatee?

I haven't done the A-line drop, it's so big that it gives you excellent views over the valley though. I had to sit down near the edge because I'm afraid of heights.
That can't be the A-line drop, I heard that the run in is so steep you can't stand on it and if you run offline there are pits full of snakes and the bears will kill you.

The guy with the goatee is a full legend from what I hear. He's almost done the drops opposite the start of Devils club, but was waiting for Bender to give his 12inch Karpiel bike back. Have you ridden with Bender? I hear Will knows him.

S.

ex offender
That can't be the A-line drop, I heard that the run in is so steep you can't stand on it and if you run offline there are pits full of snakes and the bears will kill you.

The guy with the goatee is a full legend from what I hear. He's almost done the drops opposite the start of Devils club, but was waiting for Bender to give his 12inch Karpiel bike back. Have you ridden with Bender? I hear Will knows him.
The run-in to the A-line drop is actually steeper than the sheer face of the drop itself. It is definitely the A-line. They have a line around it called the B-line but it takes ages and you have to turn off really really early before the drop to get to it.

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
The run-in to the A-line drop is actually steeper than the sheer face of the drop itself. It is definitely the A-line. They have a line around it called the B-line but it takes ages and you have to turn off really really early before the drop to get to it.
I heard that Gee Atherton did the Aline drop from so far back he cleared the whole track and landed on the slopestyle course! Is it true you have to run your tyre pressures at least triple the normal amount to clear the bears on the tracks? Bender seems fast, have you beaten him?