POS I can’t even.

moorey

call me Mia
So. The great departed @Ideate gave me a roller trainer deallie to keep Felix fit in winter. Felix rides rain hail or shine, but appreciate the gesture.
Cool story bro. All of our bikes are too long for it, and Felix was keen to play on it, but it didn’t really fit any of the bikes, Had a virtually complete orange gringo hanging in the rafters, so I thought I put half an hour into getting it running for him to use on the roller.
Running lots of oooold parts.. 580 Orange brand bars and 130mm stem, 8sp drivetrain? Manitou magnum forks, juicy 5 brakes, silly 700c wheels and 28mm slicks.
Might just tart it up with spare parts in the shed.
12 hours of tinkering later..you know how it goes.
Biggest headache was swapping wheels. The ones I wanted to run..you’ll see why later... have a ss hub. Wanted gears, and know I can fit 5 bottom cogs from an XT 10sp cassette on.
HOWEVER, 10sp shimmy shadow plus won’t work. Shadow fouls on the spokes. SRAM 10sp won’t work, as it proved impossible to lock out the top 5. Winding in the low adjustment screw then fucks up the Derailleurs movement back into lowest gears. Spent 5 hours trying to get around this. Wasn’t possible.
Option 2. Non shadow or 9 sp sram. Not an option I'm interested in.
Option 3. Shimano 11sp. Need these spares for the other bikes.
Option 4. The SRAM 11sp just bought of @DMan. Don’t want to, but best option.
JUST works with a high adjustment screw 15mm longer than original one, to lock out to 5 gears.
Brakes needed changing. Bars and stem too. Needs a dropper.
Nek minit a 30 minute play is 2 days in the making and hosting many of my top end parts I’d like to use elsewhere. Sigh.
Upside is, Felix loves playing with it on the roller, but having a ball just riding it around everywhere. Maybe he’s not too far gone to appreciate an old classic.

Frame. 98 Orange Gringo.
Fork. Sid Race dual air 100mm
Wheels. Industry9 torch hubs on Stan’s 355 rims. SS hub running 5 gears.
Derailleur. GX 11sp locked out to 5 gears.
Shifter. XT 11sp.
Brakes. SLX M665
Dropper. Thomson 27.2 125mm drop.
Seat. WTB summink.
Rotors. 185/160 avid.
Cranks. Retro Alivio sq taper...coz I can’t get BB out.
Tyres. Conti Race King 2.0 tubeless.
Bars. RF 750mm
Stem. 60mm Funduro.
Grips. Spesh ones Felix chose.
Weight. Dunno. Really light but.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
I think this bike feels as good to ride as my 34 year Toyota does to drive, bloody awful compared to something modern but just awesome good fun anyway.

Does it fit on the oven?

:thumbsup: :behindsofa:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I think that 12 hours fried your brain a little! :)

Good tinkering though and good to see you've finally got a rideable hardtail!

moorey

call me Mia
I think this bike feels as good to ride as my 34 year Toyota does to drive, bloody awful compared to something modern but just awesome good fun anyway.

Does it fit on the oven?

:thumbsup: :behindsofa:
The comparison is valid. Though I wouldn’t swap this for your Toyota.