I don't want a bell cause that's uncool....but...

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
I jusrt pedal backwards because my mecanism on my rear wheel (not sure what its called) is really load when cruising (not pedaling) or when pedaling backwards. You know, the click click click sound that the wheel makes?

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
fattyandthepiemakers said:
I jusrt pedal backwards because my mecanism on my rear wheel (not sure what its called) is really load when cruising (not pedaling) or when pedaling backwards. You know, the click click click sound that the wheel makes?
The ratchet in your freewheel mech. Is it a high-end DT hub because they have a "star ratchet" that is as loud as, but very cool mechanically. Or otherwise its the pawls in your regular freewheel, which could be stuffed.

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
Dumbellina said:
The ratchet in your freewheel mech. Is it a high-end DT hub because they have a "star ratchet" that is as loud as, but very cool mechanically. Or otherwise its the pawls in your regular freewheel, which could be stuffed.
Thats the word i was looking 4, it is the ratchet. Yay... I'm Cool! :cool:

Rik

logged out
I've found that slowing down a bit, then about 10m away yell "cyclist behind" is the best trick, as you get closer, state "passing on the right" or whatever, and make sure you don't blow straight past them if there isn't enough room. Remember that whilst we're used to glancing trees at high speed, there's a good chance walkers will see a rider doing any more than 20km/h within a metre or two from them as being threatening.
If you must get a warning device, get a Honka hoota, preferably in pink :cool: If you must have style, then you can always get a bugle horn!

Dumbellina said:
I have had idiots challenge me on cycleways
Ahhaha, reminds me of NYE a few years ago, Manly beach cycle path. Some drunken clown thought it'd be funny to block the path in a tackle-style pose. He thought it'd be even funnier to clothesline me when I was winding up to sprinting pace, but by the time he'd started swinging, I already had the front wheel in the air ready to take the impact. Manual to shoulder at 30km/h+ wouldn't be fun to wake up to the next day, I rolled out of it, and well, so did he... ;)

jab

Likes Bikes
rik mate, THAT was gold! the clown... wat an idiot. ahh but i wish i could manual...4 me it wouldve been wheelieing off the path into a tree:D

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A bit off topic, but this is a true story:
Coming up behind a couple walking arm in arm on the bikepath, i lifted the front wheel and dropped it, and my Psylos made a lovely "CRACK" sound, which the couple heard, thus they turned around, saw me and made space :)

topher

Likes Dirt
Hmm even still they dont listen to fucking move. I had a group infront of me in the Ivanhoe single track. I mean come on notorious for bikes right? About 3 of them walking along this single track i made my brakes sqeual like no other, said coming up on your right, bloody loud to. I was still travelling a reasonably pace aswell so i was coming up on them, they only realized when i came through saying FIRE. Then they scattered like rabbits. Must say fire works well but only in summer:(

tu plang

knob
ROY G BIV said:
The thing i hate is that no matter what you use, walkers always seem to jump into your path out of surprise! :mad: It's like they momentarily lose their minds and become like rabbits in the headlights running every which way but that the one that is safest and most predictable!! I find that when passing them silently and steathily, they don't have the time to do anything stupid and i am past without hassle! :D
i think the phenomena you are referring to is the 'crab walk'

apsilon

Likes Dirt
Gotta agree with the airhorn. Just don't use it too close to them as it's more likely to scare them than if you just ride past.

As for walkers blocking trails I've actually had a group of about 6 who were coming in the opposite direction spread out across the trail in a line when they saw me coming. It was just a wide fire road at that point, wide enough for two cars in fact. WTF?

Timmy Bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
johnny said:
I was once pulled up by the coppers (on bikes) riding through town at night. I had lights and a lid, so they said they could fine me for not having a "Dinga" on my bike.

I obviously laughed straight at him. Not only for thinking a bell is going to do shit in traffic (being that we cannot ride on footpaths) but for calling it a farking "dinga"!!!

He was the only dinga that mattered that night.......
ah ha ha ha, i can just imagin you laughing right in the coppers face, what did he say? ha ha ha.

kevpun

Likes Bikes
The thing I hate the most is the half brains with the extendable dog leads - playing out their fluffy rat like it's a marlin with 5 metres of line!!!

They just stop and look at you, with poochie on one side of the path while they're on the other. GRRRR!!!!!

Tangent ... great names for tyres ...

Michelin Mutt Mangler

Python Poodle Pulveriser

Kenda Kat Killa

GuRhInDiZzLe

Likes Dirt
johnny said:
I was once pulled up by the coppers (on bikes) riding through town at night. I had lights and a lid, so they said they could fine me for not having a "Dinga" on my bike.

I obviously laughed straight at him. Not only for thinking a bell is going to do shit in traffic (being that we cannot ride on footpaths) but for calling it a farking "dinga"!!!

He was the only dinga that mattered that night.......
i was once pulled in front of a police station, i was told that i could get a fine for not having a light. i was let off on a chance. i guess im luckey it was THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY....

Timmy Bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GuRhInDiZzLe said:
i was once pulled in front of a police station, i was told that i could get a fine for not having a light. i was let off on a chance. i guess im luckey it was THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY....
ah ha. ah ha ha ha, fuck, i love these stories.

Drizz

Likes Dirt
apsilon said:
As for walkers blocking trails I've actually had a group of about 6 who were coming in the opposite direction spread out across the trail in a line when they saw me coming. It was just a wide fire road at that point, wide enough for two cars in fact. WTF?
I know what you mean.

When I was new to Mountain biking, on-coming walkers would move out of my way by standing on the B-line. That really shits me! :mad: I guess it does help better my skills.

Pete J

loves his dog
GuRhInDiZzLe said:
i was once pulled in front of a police station...

I once got pulled over by a police car that had 4 cops in it! And nearly all of them got out to give me a lecture and a spray. Must have been there for about half an hour before they let me go (without any fines!!! :) ).
The worst part was that i had just started a new job not long before and my new boss happened to drive past as 3 coppers had me bailed up on the sidewalk!! :eek:
I should have gotten a fine for no helmet, riding on the footpath, running two red lights and something like reckless behaviour (for the many skids i did across the road while i went from one side to the other, they were brilliant!!! ;) :rolleyes: ). After listening for that long you'd think i would remember.
Still don't know why they didn't fine me, i kind of deserved at least one! :D

Rat

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the stories and suggestions, I am still to decide what my solution will be.

The quiet stealth overtake might suit me, the honka hoota is also a possibility, hmmmmmm, maybe the hip and shoulder technique ???? bloody people without wheels they should be banned.