I don't want a bell cause that's uncool....but...

Rat

Likes Dirt
I sometimes ride on trails frequented by walkers (NFI why they don't ride ?) and I want them to move without having to shout and be rude. I don't want to give MTBers bad publicity by running over walkers and hucking to flat off their dead bodies, tempting as it is.

So I want an audible warning device that is not a clunky old daggy bell. Also don't want a plastic novelty honky horn, I have one of those on my Unicycle for a laugh.

What I want is a small, light weight audible warning device that looks cool for my XC bike.

Anyone have any ideas ?

captainmorgan

Likes Dirt
Get one of the bike air horns, the walkers will get out of your way with one of them. Good in traffic to, as a car driver will be able to hear you when you honk them.

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
tape an old playing card to the chainstay so it hits the spokes, it makes you sound like a motorbike , which is really cool and walkers ahead will hear you and get out of your way

GeeBee

Squid
signal

Unfortunately a bell is the most reconisable signal to walkers, if you get a small one the same colour as your handle bars it shouldn't be to visible.
Anything else will probaly just confuse the walkers (they have enough trouble working out what a bicycle bell is).:rolleyes:

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
If you really don't want a bell, calling out is probably the best warning device. Give them a first warning from about 10 or so metres away eg "coming up behind you" ("passing on your right" usually makes them veer to the right, into your path most likely). If they don't move by the time your a bit closer try "behind you" again; if they don't move by then, just pass them at a slower speed - in case you do scare the crappers out of them, they don't seem to get as aggro as when you speed past.
I've heard that flicking your brake/gear cable against the frame makes a good noise. (not recommended for those who are pedantic about their bike's paint work though)

sundy

Likes Dirt
I find it best to just call out "passing". Its simple and it implies (for those with a brain) that you are coming past on the right.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Blah78 said:
Shimano XT V brakes. :) They squeal so loud that the whole valley know you are coming.

haha yeah. Or some of the siler Hope minis/M4s. Alternatively just ride a Borange and i think they'll run away when they hear a fling cabinet chasing them down the hill.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I was once pulled up by the coppers (on bikes) riding through town at night. I had lights and a lid, so they said they could fine me for not having a "Dinga" on my bike.

I obviously laughed straight at him. Not only for thinking a bell is going to do shit in traffic (being that we cannot ride on footpaths) but for calling it a farking "dinga"!!!

He was the only dinga that mattered that night.......

Dicky

Punter God
"Dinga"? Funny stuff...

as mentioned by captainmorgan, the Delta Airzound. Dirt Works bring them in.
Bloody loud too.

...bicycle bell mobile ringtone...?

Last edited:

cheese

Likes Dirt
Ide say just yell "passing" or "excuse me" if you are a nice polite rider. If you get a bell you have to deal with the annoying "ding ding ding ding ding ding" when you go over anything bumpyer than a tar road.

Other wise you could mount come subwoofers to your bike so they can hear you coming from ages away. (someone posted a bike with a speaker on here ages ago)

naz

Criminally Inane
you know depending on whether your balls have dropped u could simply use your voice, or are you intellectually challenged? :p

Cletus

Likes Dirt
bighitter said:
tape an old playing card to the chainstay so it hits the spokes, it makes you sound like a motorbike , which is really cool and walkers ahead will hear you and get out of your way
hahahaha! thats gold! how big a goose would you look though... seriously:D

manny24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dicky said:
"Dinga"? Funny stuff...

as mentioned by captainmorgan, the Delta Airzound. Dirt Works bring them in.
Bloody loud too.
[\quote]

i used these when i was a pushi courier in melbourne, damn loud!!! almost too much in some situations, id give little old ladies a cardio by accident... :eek:

if you use one of these, just be aware that there is a dial on em to reduce the noise level, and keep it low!!

Pete J

loves his dog
The thing i hate is that no matter what you use, walkers always seem to jump into your path out of surprise! :mad: It's like they momentarily lose their minds and become like rabbits in the headlights running every which way but that the one that is safest and most predictable!! I find that when passing them silently and steathily, they don't have the time to do anything stupid and i am past without hassle! :D

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
The old "fucken move" is always the last resort, after all the other warnings have proved useless.

I have had idiots challenge me on cycleways - these three big Italian lads at Haberfield stood across the path and were going to refuse to let me through (I think they were a bit pissed and thought it would be funny). I lowered my shoulder and increased the pace and hit them hard and straight. The middle lard-arse wanker went flying, onto his larden arse, and I rode through happily. (I used to play second row at school and local comp rugby league.)