I need a cheap Street MTB

im Australian, and if i choose a bike it has to be from an Australian store, and it must be under $400 (i no it wont be very good)

I found this is it any good? http://www.bigw.com.au/sports-leisu...iamondback-overdrive-66cm-urban-mountain-bike

or if you know any good aussie shops with street mtbs.

Mainly im looking at: Frame, Forks, Rims?, Hubs?, Brakes.

if its a ? not 100% sure on, im not going to replace them unless i find a super cheap store.

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
If you're Australian then you'd get your mum to take you to your local bike shop as they should have everything you desire at cheap, local prices.

Shogun

Likes Bikes
im Australian, and if i choose a bike it has to be from an Australian store, and it must be under $400 (i no it wont be very good)

I found this is it any good? http://www.bigw.com.au/sports-leisu...iamondback-overdrive-66cm-urban-mountain-bike

or if you know any good aussie shops with street mtbs.

Mainly im looking at: Frame, Forks, Rims?, Hubs?, Brakes.

if its a ? not 100% sure on, im not going to replace them unless i find a super cheap store.

I sometimes wonder when I see post like this from someone with only 2 posts. My first thought is Troll but I will try and answer your question as if it is a true request.

DO NOT buy a bike from Big W. They are probably fine for bike paths but if you ride it as a Street bike something will break either if your lucky the bike or not so lucky one of your bones after the bike has broken.

Buy a bike from a bike shop. Which one? Go to the local "park" or street corner or where ever you plan on riding and ask one of the cool kids which shop they recommend.

Really for $400 second hand would be your best bet. Plenty of bargains around if you look hard enough. I know of a Giant STP that a person would probably sell for $400 (or less?) thats is much better than your Big W bike.

Save up some more money would be your best bet. Then visit a Local Bike shop.

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
I sometimes wonder when I see post like this from someone with only 2 posts. My first thought is Troll but I will try and answer your question as if it is a true request.

DO NOT buy a bike from Big W. They are probably fine for bike paths but if you ride it as a Street bike something will break either if your lucky the bike or not so lucky one of your bones after the bike has broken.

Buy a bike from a bike shop. Which one? Go to the local "park" or street corner or where ever you plan on riding and ask one of the cool kids which shop they recommend.

Really for $400 second hand would be your best bet. Plenty of bargains around if you look hard enough. I know of a Giant STP that a person would probably sell for $400 (or less?) thats is much better than your Big W bike.

Save up some more money would be your best bet. Then visit a Local Bike shop.
I would like to have a look at the STP :)

wombat

Lives in a hole
If you have to buy new, then I hate to say it buy $400 just isn't going to get you a street mtb worth having, unless you get super lucky with a shop desperate to clear something out.

Have you considered a BMX? $400 won't get you much there either, but it'll definately be a better bet than a MTB.

rone

Eats Squid
I don't know what you're all talking about. According to the specs it's 20cm long and weighs 16.5kg. Sounds awesome.

0psi

Eats Squid
Haha, random thought. What if this is marketing ploy by Big W? Some marketing guy thinks he's really clever showing their 'awesome' bike on a cycling forum. Epic. Fail.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Either way the OP needs to get a clue before buying a bike or they'll be seriously sorry - either when they wake up in hospital after that "fully sikkk drop" or when the bike fails and mummy and daddy refuse to spend any more on "stupid bikes"!

Do you see any pros at all riding these pieces of shit? No, and there's a reason to that; these companies are not there to manufacture good products, rather simply make money off cheap bastards!

rone

Eats Squid
Maybe Teamlegend will just keep starting these threads until we all relent and tell him to buy it.

Caveat emptor, my friend.