I need a new gym - Eastern Suburbs, Sydney

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Ok so.

I'm a little over commercial gyms. After a few recent warnings about deadlifting, shoulder pain from old rusty bars that don't even spin and my own general elitism, I feel like it's time for me to find a real gym.

Is anyone aware of/can recommend a good gym where they wont get mad at me for deadlifting over 100kg?

I mostly do powerlifting but will be shifting towards olympic lifts later this year.

halp plz kthx bai

my02

Likes Dirt
Ok so.

I'm a little over commercial gyms. After a few recent warnings about deadlifting, shoulder pain from old rusty bars that don't even spin and my own general elitism, I feel like it's time for me to find a real gym.

Is anyone aware of/can recommend a good gym where they wont get mad at me for deadlifting over 100kg?

I mostly do powerlifting but will be shifting towards olympic lifts later this year.

halp plz kthx bai
The South Sydney PCYC in Waterloo has a pretty decent set up for less than $500 per year. They're around the cnr from me and I've had a look. Its pretty basic but they have enough bars, plates, a few Hammer machines, DBs up to around 50kg (?).

Otherwise I think that UNSW in Kensington has a good gym that is available to the public.

Danieleire

Likes Dirt
Ok so.

halp plz kthx bai
might be a bit of a trek but my brother and a few mates go to the ufc gym in alexandria and say great things about it. not sure of the prices but think its cheap if you only use the gym. classes are extra but its very easy to hurt yourself off a mtb besides paying someone to do it:fish:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Ok so.

halp plz kthx bai
Not sure about Syndey way, but surely there'd be a powerlifting based gym or two in the area? Usually a little more expensive, but quality is normally excellent.

I train at a normal gym and struggling to find 180kg of plates to deadlift, at least there's no queue, as every other idiot is in front of a mirror looking at their biceps.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Thanks everyone. I ended up joining the Fitness First here. It's full of bro's, but theres a bunch of platforms and bumper plates.

#weallgunnamakeit

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Do they let you drop bars though? Olympic lifting in regular gyms is usually impossible for that reason...
Not sure what the scene is like up there but in Melbourne there are a heap of oly lifting gyms/clubs.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Im from Melb, but train at Fitness First.
Not sure if its the same up there but they are in the process of re-branding and upgrading which means new shiny bars and good power racks.
So I think you made the right choice.
If u got the passport membership which I have means u can train at any FF is super handy.

However if your worried about shoulder pain from heavy deadlifts, I don't think old rusty equipment is your problem, but maybe your technique.
Leave your ego at the door and lift what weight you can max out on with PROPER form the whole time.
And if your going to get into Olympic lifting, its all technique based, id suggest a coach rather than trying to teach yourself.

I love watching the bros at the gym in their muscle milk supplement store t-shirts trying to lift way to much with horrible form.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Im from Melb, but train at Fitness First.
Not sure if its the same up there but they are in the process of re-branding and upgrading which means new shiny bars and good power racks.
So I think you made the right choice.
If u got the passport membership which I have means u can train at any FF is super handy.

However if your worried about shoulder pain from heavy deadlifts, I don't think old rusty equipment is your problem, but maybe your technique.
Leave your ego at the door and lift what weight you can max out on with PROPER form the whole time.
And if your going to get into Olympic lifting, its all technique based, id suggest a coach rather than trying to teach yourself.

I love watching the bros at the gym in their muscle milk supplement store t-shirts trying to lift way to much with horrible form.
It looks like they started renovations just before I joined (July ish). They've got a few power bars, oly bars, racks etc. It's all Ironedge. I've heard that Crunch's business plan is to undermine Fitness First. FF is hitting back with major revamps Australia wide.

RE my shoulder pain, it was due to old bars that had seized bearings which meant the plates didn't spin when doing cleans. The knurling was also completely warn out so the bar would slide down my back doing low-bar.

I've never had shoulder pain (or any pain for that matter) with heavy dead lifts. My brother (and coach) has roughly a 700kg total raw with a belt (not on gear). He also totalled 250 oly after 6 months of oly training. All bias aside, he is literally the best trainer I have ever seen.

Are there any other powerlifters on here?

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Do they let you drop bars though? Olympic lifting in regular gyms is usually impossible for that reason...
Not sure what the scene is like up there but in Melbourne there are a heap of oly lifting gyms/clubs.
I've only ever seen crossfitters drop their weights on the platform to be honest. I think it was about 60kg from overhead, nobody seemed to mind.

I haven't been at this gym for long, so I guess we will see what happens.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
It looks like they started renovations just before I joined (July ish). They've got a few power bars, oly bars, racks etc. It's all Ironedge. I've heard that Crunch's business plan is to undermine Fitness First. FF is hitting back with major revamps Australia wide.

RE my shoulder pain, it was due to old bars that had seized bearings which meant the plates didn't spin when doing cleans. The knurling was also completely warn out so the bar would slide down my back doing low-bar.

I've never had shoulder pain (or any pain for that matter) with heavy dead lifts. My brother (and coach) has roughly a 700kg total raw with a belt (not on gear). He also totalled 250 oly after 6 months of oly training. All bias aside, he is literally the best trainer I have ever seen.

Are there any other powerlifters on here?
Yeh that makes sense with the bearings and shoulder pain then, plus the old bars rip your hands apart.
The 3 FF gyms I train at, 2 have had the full reno's done and the 3rd is about 3/4 the way through. The direction they have taken is good IMO with more power racks, txu straps and more cable based machine rather than the ridged isolation machines.
I'm not a powerlifter, I train for higher reps and im not interested in getting to bulk. Plus I don't eat enough and I run, ride and surf to much.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I've only ever seen crossfitters drop their weights on the platform to be honest. I think it was about 60kg from overhead, nobody seemed to mind.

I haven't been at this gym for long, so I guess we will see what happens.
Sorry I meant in regards to Olympic lifting. Plenty of bar dropping there! And DEFINITELY get a coach if you go down that route. Good to hear FF is putting in more racks/platforms though:)

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Sorry I meant in regards to Olympic lifting. Plenty of bar dropping there! And DEFINITELY get a coach if you go down that route. Good to hear FF is putting in more racks/platforms though:)
Was lifting with my brother today.

He dropped 120 from overhead and got a warning.

Let's buy olympic platforms, olympic bars, olympic bumper plates that literally say "olympic" on everything but let's not let people do olympic lifts. #gymlogic