I phone 4

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Don't know if it's been posted before but iOS4 in Australia is available for download now. I've given the upgrade through iTunes a kick in the guts on my 3Gs. Looking forward to a smooth and bug-free upgrade.
Upgraded my Australian 3GS phone purchased from the Apple store. I like the app folder feature and email threading, hate that I've lost the double button tap and undecided about multi tasking. Noticeably slower to fire up apps, email content lost on some messages and the iPod app keeps crashing..... Bonus. :rolleyes:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
If i was apple, id sell up, and become an advertising/marketing company. its really what they are good at! :p
What Apple do really well is re-invent things and make them better.
but apples way of video calling is bullshit you can only video call through wifi because im going to carry a router with me everwhere to video call ayy? haha
Read some of the pervious posts. Until Carriers catch up, it will only be over wifi. And why would you need to carry a router around? Seriously! Just want to jump onboard the slag bandwagon do we?:rolleyes:

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
what the fuck, i went to download the new update, but it said install the new iTunes. so i did. now i plug my phone into the computer and it says:

"iTunes requires a newer version of apple mobile device support"

then it tells me to uninstall itunes and re-install it. halp???

Blaze_63

Cannon Fodder
what the fuck, i went to download the new update, but it said install the new iTunes. so i did. now i plug my phone into the computer and it says:

"iTunes requires a newer version of apple mobile device support"

then it tells me to uninstall itunes and re-install it. halp???
did you do what it said and reboot? Also make sure your phone isn't connected when you install itunes again.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Noticeably slower to fire up apps, email content lost on some messages and the iPod app keeps crashing..... Bonus. :rolleyes:
I ended up plugging back into iTunes, backing the iPhone up, returning the iPhone back to factory specifications (ie wipe it clean) and then restoring the iPhone, picked a nice background and the universe is at peace again.

Lost all of my email though but I had them sitting on the mail server so the phone downloaded them back onto the phone when I connected again.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Anyone had issues updating to OS4? Doing it now and it seemed to fly through the back up process (although I wasn't paying too much attention), 3 hours later and I am still on the first bar of the "updating iphone software" popup.

Did this take for ever for other people. Just a bit worried that this has stalled on me.

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone had issues updating to OS4? Doing it now and it seemed to fly through the back up process (although I wasn't paying too much attention), 3 hours later and I am still on the first bar of the "updating iphone software" popup.

Did this take for ever for other people. Just a bit worried that this has stalled on me.
It took me about an hour to an 2hours(was rather pissed) from plugging it in downloading it and installing it.

and i have had no isses with it since the upgrade

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
after about 6 hours, I cracked it and pulled the USB as the upgrade hadn't moved. Funny my backup went really quickly which is what other seem to be complaining about.

Plugged it back in, hit restore then back up and surprise surprise I am on OS4. Not sure what happened, but it seems I am uptodate now.

Seems to be working fine except I lost a couple of photos, music and my emails (which are on my computer anyway).

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
after about 6 hours, I cracked it and pulled the USB as the upgrade hadn't moved. Funny my backup went really quickly which is what other seem to be complaining about.

Plugged it back in, hit restore then back up and surprise surprise I am on OS4. Not sure what happened, but it seems I am uptodate now.

Seems to be working fine except I lost a couple of photos, music and my emails (which are on my computer anyway).
Whilst my upgrade didn't take that long, I did consider pulling the pin after an hour or so of it just sitting there. After a while longer, all of a sudden the bar started moving again and it finished normally. Losing email content on an OS upgrade is rather home brand.... I'm surprised that the upgrade process is so shoddy.

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting you guys had issues. The total process (download and install) took about 15 minutes on my mac with ADSL, but mum conned me into doing hers on her PC and it took almost an hour.

Bodin

GMBC
Interesting you guys had issues. The total process (download and install) took about 15 minutes on my mac with ADSL, but mum conned me into doing hers on her PC and it took almost an hour.
Ok - so who's gunna take the bait on the old "Mac vs PC" argument?

Nobody? Good, because I'll temp ban anyone that derails this thread with that particular topic.

scratchy

Farkin Activist
Macs Rule! PC suck!

(sorry couldn't help it. Friday arvo kicking in early).

Last edited:

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Nobody? Good, because I'll temp ban anyone that derails this thread with that particular topic.
Hah, I swear to god it wasn't meant like that, it was a genuine comparison between MY computers out of curiosity.

No bait, no fuss.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Our graphics people update their iPhones quickly on Macs but waste the rest of the day patting themselves on their backs. Our admins take forever to update their iPhones on their windows PCs but that happens in the background so they keep working. The techos run Unix and use iPhones as a control panel for their "really smart" phones. Oh yes, techos write their own code so they look down upon those who choose to update anything from a stink'n music app. I just pay the phone bills.

bob_jane

Likes Dirt
i updated my phone the other day, it downloaded in 15 minutes and was installed in about 20-25, rather odd that other peoples update took them hours. Just to clarify im on a PC not a mac

dog boy

Likes Dirt
android

ok guys, just got back from perisher where my phone decided to pack up. i have 2 weeks until my plan expires. so i went down to the shops today to try and get a new plan on an iphone, apparently I would be lucky to find a 3gs in Australia as everywhere has stopped doing them because the iphone 4 is coming in a week. i was told today that the new iphone will probably be on a $79 or even $99 plan, i had kinda expected that. because i dont want to spend that on a phone, im now looking at android phones which look to have advantages over iphones anyway. so i have narrowed it down to, on a $49 either:
the HTC desire or the Samsung galaxy s.
Has anyone used or own one of these phones?
which would you recommend?
whats the go with android apps? are the apps i can get on the samsung the same apps that i can get on the desire?

thanks in advance if you reply.