I sweat too much - what to do???

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Hi all

I have a problem - I sweat a lot, I always have. Just for the record I don't smell!!

When I go ridding I find I have problems with sweat pouring from my head down My face and into my eyes - which causes them to sting. Anyone else face the same problemis there anything that can be dome like wearing a sweatband? What do you use?

mushroom

Likes Dirt
It may not help out with sweat running into your eyes, but if you're generally sweaty I'd suggest:

-Don't wear a camelback/backpack when riding. This makes for much cooler riding, in my experience.
-Wear a cycling jersey or clothes designed for sports. These allow much better ventilation, and will also help keep you cooler by wicking away your sweat.

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
Check out the webcast of Dr Karl on Triple J science. Apparently for those that sweat too much there is a neuro fibre behind you lungs that they can snip that will stop you from sweating. Only for those who excessively sweat but an option. I can do it with a butter knife and a bottle of scotch if you want.

I had a geeky fluro shirt. So I cut the arms off to make into a singlet. Now I use the arms for a head band. seems to work well. No sweat in my eyes though my head is a little warmer now.

joe79

Likes Dirt
I have the same problem, it wouldn't bother me so much but for the fact that sweat runs down the inside of my glasses, meaning i need to stop and clean them all the time.
I'm keen to check out that sweatband.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Hey mate, you would have to go a long way to find a bigger sweater than me. Actually a mate of mine is worse, but either way it's a pain. Literally. I get cramps on long rides as I have a hard time replacing the lost fluid (salt sticks are good)
Anyway, I wear a buff bandana thingy under my helmet and this stops drops down my face. One day I forgot it, and it was so annoying with sweat dripping into my eyes I finished my ride early.
I carry a big hanky in my pocket and wipe down my forehead occasionally.
In my other pocket I keep a small hanky to clean my cycle glasses when they get dirty or wet because the big one gets soaked after a short time.
Re that op. Forget it. I heard it's not without its dangers and doesn't always work. Guys like us just have to wear it.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
big sweaters unite we should have our own website. I use the seat gutter that people have been talking about and it works well its doesn't stop all the sweet from going on to your glasses but certainly minimises it. I got mine from annaconda for 30 bucks make sure you try it on with you helmet before you buy

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im going to throw another one out there. The lethal combination of receding hair line, heavy sweater

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I'm with you guys, i am a massive sweater, constant cramps on big rides, i now use staminade to help offset loss of fluid, this has helped heaps, as well as having good quality cycling clothes helps too!

clockworked

Like an orange
I'm with you guys, i am a massive sweater, constant cramps on big rides, i now use staminade to help offset loss of fluid, this has helped heaps, as well as having good quality cycling clothes helps too!
Yep good quality cycle wear is an awesome improvement. I've got a shirt by fox called the ranger - its got two layers. Its hot as if you're standing still, but brilliant if you're moving or in a breeze.

Don't move to cairns! I did one push run at the local downhill and i had completely saturated a pair of dickies work shorts (heavy cotton shorts), not to mention my upper half. Thats a lot of sweat!

JP

Likes Dirt
I sweat like a slave even thinking about any type physical exertion. I get called "Sprinklerhead" at work. It just means my body is a finely tuned piece of athletic machinery that knows how to regulate itself (that's what I tell myself anyway). I've seen th sweat gutter for $30 at Anaconda but can't justify spending the dosh. I may reconsider.

As an aside, my old man is a copious sweater as well. When I was a kid we ate heaps of spicy food. He'd come home from work just before dinner, sit at his chair and take of his white business shirt. Underneath was the obligatory white singlet. (It was the 70's man). Then he'd say "Son, get my sweatband." I'd trot off to his drawer and grab his squash headband. He'd eat dinner styling his white headband with the red and blue stripes. Then after dinner he'd kick my arse for being naughty to my mum. Arsehole. Ahh the memories!!!!

ebuk

Likes Dirt
I use these.

http://www.haloheadband.com.au/sitemap.html

Bike shops sell them (my local 2 do anyway) and I have ridden with them without a problem for a few years now.

Edit...

The US site has the halo II (normal headband) that I use. Seems the aussie site doesn't have it. Ebay has them as well.

Last edited:

stinkblot

Likes Dirt
i suffer the same malaise... It is embarrassing. People think i am really unfit. My solution is light coloured cotton clothes and a dismissive stare or develop a look that says..."don't mess with me, i just rode the simpson on a huffy!" Or wear a fullface with a wetsuit... That should silence the knockers.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Yep good quality cycle wear is an awesome improvement. I've got a shirt by fox called the ranger - its got two layers. Its hot as if you're standing still, but brilliant if you're moving or in a breeze.

Don't move to cairns! I did one push run at the local downhill and i had completely saturated a pair of dickies work shorts (heavy cotton shorts), not to mention my upper half. Thats a lot of sweat!
How we gonna sweat together when you have moved to cairns?
When you coming back?

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
It just means my body is a finely tuned piece of athletic machinery that knows how to regulate itself (that's what I tell myself anyway).
Tell people its your advanced mammalian cooling system helping you thermoregulate through evaporation.

giraffe boy

Likes Dirt
Halo - can get a bandana or just a head band for hot days.

Been using these things for several years. Eventually the rubber strip that runs acros your brow will split - just hand wash it to avoid early failure.

Sweat from your head goes down the side of your face. But sweat from your forehead will still run down your face. Brilliant things

gb