I sweat too much - what to do???

cfd01

Likes Bikes
I have the same problem, it wouldn't bother me so much but for the fact that sweat runs down the inside of my glasses, meaning i need to stop and clean them all the time.
I'm keen to check out that sweatband.
I had the exact same problem trying to look out between the smudgy bits in my glasses. I got a bit of fabric about 20mm wide and tie it on ala ninja style.

Works great and its thin enough to not know its there. I tried a full on headband but it was way to bulky for my liking

kerno

Likes Bikes
If you ain't sweatin' you ain't puttin' in...
In the good old days when we still played footy in 30 degree plus heat, we'd don the vasso over the eye brows. The sweat dribbles down your forehead, hits the vasso and is directed down the side of your face. it wasn't a pretty look, but it worked and it was cheap.
Cheers
Kerno

bike182mtb

Likes Dirt
try a nzo aircon jersey the best in hot weather also try a helmet with a removeable liner and washing it out .if you have just started riding as you get fitter and lost weight you will sweat less .also gloves with something to wipe away the sweat with .or just ride in the snow .

clockworked

Like an orange
How we gonna sweat together when you have moved to cairns?
When you coming back?
I dunno mate! The riding up here is pretty awesome! Every little back alley xc track is on par with hazlebrook at least

Schedule a holiday and sample the northern greatness!

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I dunno mate! The riding up here is pretty awesome! Every little back alley xc track is on par with hazlebrook at least

Schedule a holiday and sample the northern greatness!
I own a property in rockhampton, that might be the ticket to cairns!
Stay cool Alex!

AT LAST!! I have searched for so long to find my long lost sweaty kin - and now they are found!!

Wow, what a great thread, I am a massive sweater mostly from the head area, i like many of you will leak sweat in fairly convincing amounts even when others remain totally dry! Its not that I am that unfit either, in fact it seems worse the fitter i get also seems to be getter worse as I get older.

That gutter thingy sounds worth a shot as my glasses always become pretty useless by lap 2 of XC race unless I kind of hang them off my nose a bit.

I have to wear lycra otherwise I would become wetter than a coolgardie safe and then freeze solid with wind chill on the descent...

But there is more to my special sweaty situation- My sweat is also highly corrosive- and yes i know all sweat is salty but mine actually destroys bikes (3 now) I can corrode aluminium,stainless steel, magnesium, (have not tried carbon yet). My previous bikes developed blistering from under the paint in the frame!! My LBS mech thought (after checking if i rode my bike on the beach) I must live near caustic chemicals- which I discovered I did-Me.

I am currently trying a anodised aluminium frame with a fresh water rinse after every ride (muddy or not). So far this seems to be OK (6 months).

Have any of you sweatkin had a similar problem?

I will now ride along happier knowing i am not a lone freak but part of a brother (and sister?) hood of the sweat gland

Viva las saline

Sweatman

BM Epic

Eats Squid
AT LAST!! I have searched for so long to find my long lost sweaty kin - and now they are found!!

Wow, what a great thread, I am a massive sweater mostly from the head area, i like many of you will leak sweat in fairly convincing amounts even when others remain totally dry! Its not that I am that unfit either, in fact it seems worse the fitter i get also seems to be getter worse as I get older.

That gutter thingy sounds worth a shot as my glasses always become pretty useless by lap 2 of XC race unless I kind of hang them off my nose a bit.

I have to wear lycra otherwise I would become wetter than a coolgardie safe and then freeze solid with wind chill on the descent...

But there is more to my special sweaty situation- My sweat is also highly corrosive- and yes i know all sweat is salty but mine actually destroys bikes (3 now) I can corrode aluminium,stainless steel, magnesium, (have not tried carbon yet). My previous bikes developed blistering from under the paint in the frame!! My LBS mech thought (after checking if i rode my bike on the beach) I must live near caustic chemicals- which I discovered I did-Me.

I am currently trying a anodised aluminium frame with a fresh water rinse after every ride (muddy or not). So far this seems to be OK (6 months).

Have any of you sweatkin had a similar problem?

I will now ride along happier knowing i am not a lone freak but part of a brother (and sister?) hood of the sweat gland

Viva las saline

Sweatman
Sweatman, you are a god among many, we shall worship you for time immemorial, i thought i was bad, but destroying bikes!...LEGEND

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Another vote for the Halo 2 headband, have been using one for over a year, its brilliant keeps the sweat out of my eyes. Definitely worth it :)

Sweatman, you are a god among many, we shall worship you for time immemorial, i thought i was bad, but destroying bikes!...LEGEND
You are far too kind BM epic - i am just a humble saltsponge getting through life in the only way we corrosive and highly moist folk can.

That halo head band sounds great -anyone know where you can buy them in NSW?

Maybe my bike will last a little longer... And maybe the unkind people at my former workplace who dubbed me with my username could eat some salty humble pie!!

dangersean

Likes Bikes
I go big pimpin with a bandana under helmet.
soaks up the sweat, after a while it keeps my head at a cool temp.
Cost me all of 5 dollars to buy, and I don't even notice it on...

Surely we can keep this thread going with some of the many tales from the sweat zone. Maybe we can all contribute to a regular newsletter? Possible titles; Crust Weekly, Moist Monthly, Salt Stain Times or my favourite; Sodium Chloride Chronicle!

keep up the perspiration

Sweatman

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Surely we can keep this thread going with some of the many tales from the sweat zone. Maybe we can all contribute to a regular newsletter? Possible titles; Crust Weekly, Moist Monthly, Salt Stain Times or my favourite; Sodium Chloride Chronicle!

keep up the perspiration

Sweatman
We will regularly keep posting and voila!!
Hey there to you salties!
2 weeks ago i went on a ride, very hot day(37 celcius) with a lot of hard climbs and quite hard techy riding, i weighed in before the ride, then when the ride ended, i sat and dried off and weighed in again, Goodbye 1.7 kilograms!:eek:, but alas, after drinking and a little bit of food, total loss was 100 grams!:(
When the sweat starts, it comes out like a hose!

Matt C

Likes Dirt
We will regularly keep posting and voila!!
Hey there to you salties!
2 weeks ago i went on a ride, very hot day(37 celcius) with a lot of hard climbs and quite hard techy riding, i weighed in before the ride, then when the ride ended, i sat and dried off and weighed in again, Goodbye 1.7 kilograms!:eek:, but alas, after drinking and a little bit of food, total loss was 100 grams!:(
When the sweat starts, it comes out like a hose!
I've gotten into the habit of weighing myself before and after a ride to see if i'm hydrating properly. Even if i drink 2 litres, i still come back 1 - 1.5kg lighter. Coming into the warmer weather, drinking more is a must.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
I've gotten into the habit of weighing myself before and after a ride to see if i'm hydrating properly. Even if i drink 2 litres, i still come back 1 - 1.5kg lighter. Coming into the warmer weather, drinking more is a must.
Spanky pulled the batteries out of the scales and threw them out the window into the neighbours back yard...

those scales tell LIES... LIES......

sweaty fat bastard we are.... but they do help you notice just how much fluid you've lost.....

s

fletchog

Likes Dirt
I sweat a lot out of my head as well, body get sweaty as well but nothing like what pours out of my head,

Get the best vetilated helmet you can afford and get a wickaway style fabric, one that draws the sweat away from your skin so it can evaporate headband.

in the old days of the Oakley factory pilots, they came with foam strips along the upper edge to stop sweat getting in your eyes

clockworked

Like an orange
i've sweated the paint off my glasses a couple of times! And my glasses rarely see a year long service due to my equally annoying habit of smashing them

Fairy_s

Squid
Hi my name is fairy_s and i'm a sweater, it has been......
almost sounding like AA in here.

I use a few methods to avoid the sweat blind, short rides the bandana or cycle hat seems to work.

On longer rides i have been using one of those cool hats, they are similar to the cooler vests like the V8 drivers use. Its like a little skull cap that has moisture absorbing beads in it, u soak it b4 the ride and it acts like evap cooling as u ride. Also if u throw it in the fridge over night it stays cool longer.
As it dries out u can either re moisten it from your water bottle or let your sweat do the job. Greatly reduces the sweating from my head and also makes you feel cooler generally.

Also going to try it for the Odyssey coming up and see how well it works over an all day ride.

If i can find the exact name and details i'll post.

Speaking of sweaty tales- i did the Angry Doctor 100ker the other week and it was pretty hot- around 30-31 degrees. Felt pretty ordinary for most of it. When I finished I had a 2-3mm deep layer of salt on most of my face- It was then that i realised I had not drunk enough sports drink as i collapsed under the car in a saltictite state thinking of practical but bizarre uses for afore mentioned salt crust i.e offering my services at the local fish and chip shop...