I Want to Start Racing. Need Help

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Hey all.
Sorry if this has been posted before, or if there is a sub section which underlines what im asking. {also sorry if i posted in the wrong section- mtb discussion seemed appropriate at the time}

Any way, im located in wollongong, and ive been rideing for about 2ish years and ive been told many times that i should be racing, however i have no idear where to start? Need opinions- should i join a club to start my progession of mtbing? If so which club would best suit me (perferably as close to my location as possibly). Also regarding, state and national rounds and well.. races in general what do i need, do i need a licence or any thing inparticualr?

{ if would be great if any wollongong riders that races could throw there opinions in for it may relate directly to my situation}. It would be a bonus if i could build a social "backing" with a few local riders that race in the gong, which i could join or even ride/practice with in preparation for any upcoming races.

Overall, i want to race, so please throw in any useful information for it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S-{ I Have my license, i can drive manual- transport isent an issue}

Thank you
Kind Regards Matt

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Hey there.

Yep you need to be a member of MTBA to race. You can do this in 1 of 2 ways.

1. Take out a day license for the event you wish to compete in. This will cost you $15 on top of the race fee.

2. Join a club and take out a yearly membership. This will cost you $80 + club fee (usually $10) for a license ($60 of junior license) that runs for 12months from the day you pay.

You will need a standards approved full face helmet, a bike in good working order with solid bar ends and a good attitude.

Next read this entire thread and then turn up to a race.

Cheers

Zekman

Likes Dirt
yeah what the cat said. Yeah matt like in the pm i sent i race state and some clubbies i train a few times a weeks and ride a variety of tracks to help with my fitness and technical riding. I'm going over to thirrol on saturday arvo(tomorrow) to do some training if you want to come along your more than welcome and i can fill you in on what the go is.
Kind regards
Karl

Sorry had to put in kind regards i know how much you like your skirts

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, thanks for the imput, i have read the whole thread posted by demo man, sent by "thecat", alot of very useful imput.

Also regarding karl, on the sat arvo, i believe it would be like kokoda up at any trail around the illawarra, so wet, so i might hold of, see what happens, i may rock up, but its just to wet.

Otherwise thanks for the offer, give it a rain check "literally".

Thanks again

Cheers matt
:)

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
While this may sound like a bit n00b question..

Why are people required to have solid bar ends? The bars I have at the moment are REALLY thick, and there's stuff all diameter in the hole in them, so they might as well have bar ends already.

Thanks in advance :eek:

Plow King

Little bit.
While this may sound like a bit n00b question..

Why are people required to have solid bar ends? The bars I have at the moment are REALLY thick, and there's stuff all diameter in the hole in them, so they might as well have bar ends already.

Thanks in advance :eek:
So they don't pucture holes in your body if you land on them awkwardly.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So they don't pucture holes in your body if you land on them awkwardly.
Yeah fair enough, didn't think about puncturing the body so much, just being struck by the bar without it actually tearing a hole through you. Looks like I'll be sourcing some bar ends then, both for the non puncturing side of it and cos they just look so dang cool hick :cool:

Zekman

Likes Dirt
yeah matt thirrol is probably one of the dryest after it rains i usually do the top section and maybe one full run wont be able to make it today forgot my bike's still apart have to finish it to go to del rio tomorrow.
Cheers
Karl

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Hey karl

Yer that what i have heard yesterday regarding how wet thirroul gets and stays.
I will have to see , if i were to head there it would be around 3 ish.
i would probly get some of my mates aswell considering most of them cant ride until the weekend. Any way i have you number, myn is 0413 252 921, i will keep you in touch on what were doing.

laterzzz