Ibis Cycles

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
So, dropped past the shop today to swing a leg over the HD4 today.

Felt absolutely no love for it. It felt heavier than it actually was and sizing and feel just didn't feel at all right for me. No doubt it would plow downhill, but didn't feel very lively for the trail and pedalling side of things.

The guys at the shop suggested I try a Ibis Ripmo. Holy moly, it sure felt right. Didn't feel "like a 29er" at all! Runs a 44mm offset fork which works really well with the geo. Doesn't feel floppy or vague at all. Back end is very settled for seated pedalling, and just soaked up anything else I threw at it (plenty of cobblestone lanes, gutters, and bunny-hopping off ramps and traffic islands was done) and still had a good light and poppy trail bike feel, just with a little added travel. Front end felt good but only being a size L was still a little tight around the knees when turning for me.

Also had a spin on a Yeti SB5.5, which was also quite nice, but the sizing was a little off for me (short reach, tall seat tube) and I didn't like the rear suspension as much as the Ripmo.

So I ordered a Ripmo frameset with an X2 and gambled on a "2019" Fox 36 to match. :) E.T.A is mid-June on the frameset, and fork is put aside to wait. I'll need to sort out some wheels, and everything brakes and drivetrain I'll swap from my 5010. In theory I could fit a 185mm dropper with the super low seat tube too.

But anyway - thanks for all the assistance! It ended a little differently to how I expected, but damn it felt good. Can't wait to get it together and go send it down the trails! :D

Oh and a bit of random info, the guy at the LBS said Ibis has recently changed production factories and are now made by the same factory that manufactures Yeti.
Beeb, just confirming you went with an XL? The Ripmo is on my list of possibilities along with the Rallon. They are very close to each other on paper, very interested to hear what you think of the Ripmo when it's built.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Beeb, just confirming you went with an XL? The Ripmo is on my list of possibilities along with the Rallon. They are very close to each other on paper, very interested to hear what you think of the Ripmo when it's built.
Yep, went with the XL.

I did consider a Rallon and they also looked great (on paper), but I wanted something I could ride in at least a size L first so it got ruled out for me. The Ripmo felt so balanced and "just right" in the suspension feel for me, I didn't feel I needed to keep looking - but obviously that's a very subjective thing. For me the Ripmo still feels light and playful like a trailbike (only going off a "carpark" test mind...), but the geo just felt like it oozes confidence and I reckon it'll still be very capable in the rough stuff.

Either way I'm pretty sure either would be awesome! Hopefully you can sample both and go from there, and if you do get a Rallon I and I'm sure many others will be keen to hear all about it. ;)

beeb

Nice one, black or blue? I hope to have a Ripmo by years end. Looking forward to seeing pics once you get it!
I went with the black. I reckon the blue is a stunning colour by itself (didn't have one in store, going off pics on the web here), but I wasn't feeling the contrasting orange details so I was a bit 50/50 and leant towards getting the black (also partly because the black is a matt finish which I liked). It has some subtle olive green details around the frame that highlight the shapes nicely (basically it looks better in person than the side-profile shots online). All that being said though, if a blue arrives before the black, I'd probably still take one as both are nice enough. :D

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Yep, went with the XL.

I did consider a Rallon and they also looked great (on paper), but I wanted something I could ride in at least a size L first so it got ruled out for me. The Ripmo felt so balanced and "just right" in the suspension feel for me, I didn't feel I needed to keep looking - but obviously that's a very subjective thing. For me the Ripmo still feels light and playful like a trailbike (only going off a "carpark" test mind...), but the geo just felt like it oozes confidence and I reckon it'll still be very capable in the rough stuff.

Either way I'm pretty sure either would be awesome! Hopefully you can sample both and go from there, and if you do get a Rallon I and I'm sure many others will be keen to hear all about it. ;)
Yeah I understand the reluctance to buy a bike without riding it first, I bought an Occam without riding and it as awesome as it is, I'd prefer something a little bigger.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
It is tempting to sell the LS and move to a Ripmo. All I'd need to change is frame and fork.

I wonder how comparable it is to pedal up hill?

To my eyes the Ripley is much more attractive, although I've not seen a Ripmo in person yet.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I don't do big jumps, but I find I use all the rear travel on every ride on my Ripley LS. Never once have I felt it bottom out though.

One of the great things about DW link is meant to be the bottomless feel, and that's certainly been my experience on the LS.

The climbing is described pretty favourably in that review which would be the main obstacle to changing over. And the looks are a bit of a backward step too; the Ripley is a stunner where the Ripmo is just nice looking.

beeb

Interesting that he had to swap shocks to prevent bottom out. Would probably rule out all coils.
Ibis advise against doing so, and for once pretty much all the reviews agree. IMO the bike's not intended as a predominantly downhill sled, so the an air shock is probably a better match for its overall character anyway and still offers plenty of plushness and capability (carpark test with the X2 shock certainly felt good!).

Last edited:

beeb

Ripmo lead times are currently blown out from the manufacturer. My mid-April order (originally due around now) is now due mid-July.