Ibis Ripmo

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Not at all, but this bike felt like it had a lot more clearance than the 5010 I came off anyway. So it still "feels" a touch better for clearance comparing bike-to-bike. Probably worth mentioning that I mostly climb on fire-roads though, so generally only pedal bash if I miss-time something on descents.
@hifiandmtb - I retract this statement, I rode some more tight and techy trails at You Yangs yesterday (Boulder and Trav's Diamond), and I was clipping pedals quite a bit more than I normally would've. Didn't catch the chainring or BB area on anything, but defintely would've been better with the 29er in for a little more clearance over techy step-downs and that.

I have tweaked a bit on this bike over the last couple of weeks. Pulled the (only) volume reducer out of the fork to actually get full travel out if it, and pulled one (of two) volume reducers out of the shock to be able to push the pressure up a bit and firm up the midstroke but still keep full travel. Rides a lot nicer now, a lot less wallowly in the rear, and more supple but controlled in the front. The back end on this bike is magic - so efficient but takes the hits when you need it to, the front is definitely good too but overall the bike still feels too big for me. It's borderline okay with the 27.5" rear wheel in, but then it's a one-trick pony that's super-fun but such overkill for flowy blue trails, and too long and low for me on anything more technical. I'm sure a better or taller rider with the 29er rear in would get a lot more out of it - but it doesn't "feel like home" to me.

So I am pretty much ready to sell the "rolling bike" now (frame/shock/fork/wheels), even with how good a bike it is it just feels too big for me and I don't feel comfortable on it. A large would've been a better fit for me, but I want to get back on a 27.5" bike - so if anyone's interested - I'll most likely be putting up a "For-Sale" ad during the week. I have a plan on a "goldilocks" bike (not too big/not too little - just right) bike, but I just need to check if I can get still buy what I want as a replacement before I pull the pin.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
That’s a real shame, but atleast now you know what you like I suppose.

About that 27.5 bike, haaaaaaaave you seen the tranny scout? Hahaha

beeb

That’s a real shame, but atleast now you know what you like I suppose.
Yeah, that's it. Got to try it in the real world before you know. At least now I've had two bikes to compare and find a middle ground.
About that 27.5 bike, haaaaaaaave you seen the tranny scout? Hahaha
Cuss you. It looks like someone took my desired geo numbers and made it a bike. Haven't ridden a Horst-link bike since I hired a Trek Fuel EX9 before I started riding last year. Didn't have much love for it climbing TBH, wallowed like a demon, but was wonderfully supple coming down.

My current temptation is last of the V2 5010's in an XL (I had the L previously), with an angleset and 10-20mm lengthened fork to slacken the front a couple of degrees. Not the smoothest rear suspension out there, but so damn playful on the trail and they build up so light!

Ultra Lord

Not these tranny’s. Set a deep sag (35%)leave it open and let the leverage curve do it’s job. Hi anti-squat bike. pedal feedback under power but thats the trade-off isn’t it

It ain’t no trek. Compared to the new gen trance, reign and a spesh stumpy I’ve ridden it pedals pretty bloody good. No xc bike but that’s not the point.

Not that I’m saying you’d be an idiot to not get one, but you’d be abit of an idiot haha.

Only thing is mines not light, 36’s, hope wheelset with steel cassete body, aluminium everywhere, real tyres. Low 14’s I think, but solid af. The frames are like a new gen 4x bike, super stiff.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
It's a shame. Ibis up until this point had a reputation for fitting on the small size.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

beeb

It's a shame. Ibis up until this point had a reputation for fitting on the small size.
Yeah it was a big swing in their sizing. I don't think it's necessarily the bike is "impossibly" too big, I think it's more I just prefer a slightly shorter bike. I just jumped from one extreme to the other really. A large instead of an XL probably would've been perfect for me, and I thought about just changing over to a size large frame, but I honestly prefer the 27.5" wheelsize so much out back I'll head back that way. (n-1+1)

@Ultra Lord - the Scout looks fun, but I am a weight-weenie, and can get a good deal on a new 5010 frameset. Plus, even though the rear-susp doesn't do everything well, it loves to be boosted over every little trail undulation and to get airborne. I got my previous 5010 to a point where I really liked everything except that it I felt like I was going to go OTB way too easily everytime I pointed it down a techy rockgarden. Even when it got a little overwhelmed and chattery it was very predicatable, so with a bit more reach and a fraction more slack it should be ready to party on anything I'm game to ride. I don't ride really gnarly stuff so it should be a good allrounder. . It won't be the missing key to "unlock" every trail, but should hopefully be the most fun on the type of trails I enjoy regularly.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
That's a shame beebs.
The bin chicken is such a drool-worthy bike. Much respect for your decision though - you gotta go with what works.

Your experience has not helped my confidence in my upcoming bike purchase!
By the way....when I was reading your plans for the new 5010, I immediately thought the Canyon Spectral (carbon) might be similar...?

Ultra Lord

The 5010’s a carbon scout pretty much. Every ride characteristic you’ve said applies to both frames hahaha. The scouts just better because I own one.

There are carbon scouts kicking around too!

Last edited:

beeb

Your experience has not helped my confidence in my upcoming bike purchase!
By the way....when I was reading your plans for the new 5010, I immediately thought the Canyon Spectral (carbon) might be similar...?
The Ripmo is a brilliant bike, the back half especially is exceptional. It's a brilliant climber if that's what you're after. If you're concerned about the length you can always size down. Only reason I'm looking to change is to jump back to 27.5" wheels without a BB that drags on the ground.

The Canyon isn't quite what I'm after, and not being available as a frameset is a dealbreaker for me. But ta.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Tubbsy it's yours if you move quickly enough. I'm still working on convincing my close mate that spending this much just on a frame & fork is a good deal...

I'm not ditching the Ripley.

Ultra Lord

Tubbsy it's yours if you move quickly enough. I'm still working on convincing my close mate that spending this much just on a frame & fork is a good deal...

I'm not ditching the Ripley.
Keep the ripley, and get this to complement the fleet.

If he needs convincing, he just doesn’t get it.

beeb

5010 ordered, Ripmo frameset will be available by the weekend. Will post a for sale thread then if we don't have an offer from those that have PM'd so far. :)

beeb

Picked up my 5010 frameset today (will post build thread once I collect a couple more parts). So I guess the Ibis is up for sale*.

*Unless this is the beginning of n+1... :p

beeb

Ripmo frameset and fork sold pending payment. Cheers to the RB member who made it all happen. :)