Ideas for Flat section on Freeride Trail

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

I have been looking at making a flat section a bit more interesting for Freeride. It is half way down a DH/Freeride run, with a steep section at the start and at the end. The middle bit is where i am looking for ideas. To date,

2 jumps followed by a
Berm followed by a double,
then on to a hip jump then
a double into a ditch which then hits a
Berm and out the other side via a kicker

My intial thoughts was that this line should be a real gut chucker that you had to haul arse for then onto a fast downhill section. However now that i have ridden it heaps i am thinking that i need to make it faster & make the jumps bigger. So what are the best ways to do this???

Thoughts so far, smooth out the ground between jumps more? Put in some sort of rhymthem section?? What is the best way to build speed on flat ground??

Attachments

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds more like a gravity-jump trail. Maybe if you wanted it more downhill'ish add a rock garden with a drop off at the end and use some berms to hold speed into the garden from the steep section.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
rock garden sounds good, but not a super speed sucker one, just a nice one or a few speedy sorta jumps that you seemingly carry more speed of than into, they always make the flat sections much more interesting

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
ideas

Thanks for the ideas. The second jump is getting much bigger and will now be a kick ar5e kicker. The run to the 3rd jump will then have a roller before the hip jump. As this is the main area that needs a speed increase.

The line also has a option at the bottom to either hit a big rock garden or go into a drop section, so these ideas are covered.

On the last section (which is steep) it is possible to put in a step up jump on to a small hill that you can then fly over & then the other side you do as a roll off. Could be good????

Gronk

Likes Dirt
I may be wrong, but pics 2 and 3 look like you're following the water flow line... if this is true you're gonna have major erosion/rutting out problems.

tallongdownhill

Likes Dirt
step up onto rising northshore of a low gradient than a drop off the end

Thats the idea,i to have one section of flat on my tracks and i'm planning on building a shore to keep the speed up with a drop at the end into a old line.It seems the best idea unless your goin to wear lycra and buy a xc bike,then the flat won't be so bad lol:D.

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can tell you now this flat part of the trail on a DH bike sux. I agree with the Shore type thing to give you that boot of speed

big geoff

Likes Dirt
a bit of north shore style junk with drops and such can be a good way to add interest to a flat boring section