Project Idle Hands make cheap lights.

• Thread starter Deleted member FN2187
  • Start date
D

Deleted member FN2187

I'm off work for a while and I've been bored AF so to occupy my time I've been tinkering in the shed with little projects. I found these 1500 lumen torches at Costco for a whopping $23 each:

The idea was to hack one up to convert it into a bike light. And if I fucked one up I still had a spare torch. I didn't take any photos of the making. But in short I:
-Cut the head off the shaft.
-Bought a waterproof latching button switch from Jaycar.
-I made an end cap out of the butt of the torch.
-Soldered the switch and head to a cable with a plug end on it.
-Made a mount with a quadlock fitting on it
-Hot Glued the whole thing together
-Pilfered an old battery pack and the cable from a cheap $25 Chinese lantern.
-And bobs your mother brother

She ain't pretty but she works a treat.

Pretty happy with the result. And it all cost me less than $60 including the donor light.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm off work for a while and I've been bored AF so to occupy my time I've been tinkering in the shed with little projects. I found these 1500 lumen torches at Costco for a whopping $23 each:
View attachment 354924

The idea was to hack one up to convert it into a bike light. And if I fucked one up I still had a spare torch. I didn't take any photos of the making. But in short I:
-Cut the head off the shaft.
-Bought a waterproof latching button switch from Jaycar.
-I made an end cap out of the butt of the torch.
-Soldered the switch and head to a cable with a plug end on it.
-Made a mount with a quadlock fitting on it
-Hot Glued the whole thing together
-Pilfered an old battery pack and the cable from a cheap $25 Chinese lantern.
-And bobs your mother brother

She ain't pretty but she works a treat.
View attachment 354925
View attachment 354926

Pretty happy with the result. And it all cost me less than $60 including the donor light.
That is very fine work. Wonder how it compares to my $20 solarstorms.......though I know that’s not the point. Rechargeable?

D

Deleted member FN2187

have you tried a test run
be interested to see if the hot glue holds up once it gets heated by the lamps
I super glued the mount to the hard plastic shroud then hot glued around it for support. I've not run it long enough to get it hot enough. I hope the hot glue doesn't melt too. But I'm optimistic.

D

Deleted member FN2187

That is very fine work. Wonder how it compares to my $20 solarstorms.......though I know that’s not the point. Rechargeable?
I have a solarstorm also on my helmet. This setup in full power (spot+flood)spits out a much wider beam that is brighter on the peripheral. The spot mode is the same as the solarstorm. Rechargable, yes. Same battery and charger used from my ancient single cob LED light.