If you have a spare few minutes, please have a read and help out.

Reece.

Likes Dirt
Hey Farkers/Rotorburners.
Currently I am in year 12 completing my final assessment pieces to go towards my exit mark. In Business and Organization Management (BOM) we have been assigned the task of creating a full business proposal of a company that we see to be viable and profitable. This includes everything from target markets, projected figures, creating a product/service, marketing strategy, SWOT analysis, legal considerations, operations plans, HR planning and production methods. For my business plan I have decided to create a cut price riding apparel company, catering for the BMX racing, Downhill and Motocross industries supplying jerseys, pants, gloves, goggles and also casual wear. Basically the business will consist of everything the major companies (TLD, FOX, ROYAL etc.) are offering just at a greatly reduced cost. The product will consists of riding apparel like what TLD etc are offering and up to date with current trends. From talking with the teacher, approval has been received that I can paste my name over that of existing companies to save time and stress in creating all new patterns and designs meaning that clothing will resemble what is currently on the market. The company will have its' product available online and also in shops to cater for modern day shopper.

So where do you come in? Well there are a number of favors I would like to ask.

1. Would you please be able to direct me in the direction of data relating to Motocross, BMX and downhill figures that I can include in the assignment (such as number of participants, market share pie, and any other useful facts and figures)

2. Complete a quick survey/questionnaire below and submit as a reply to this thread.

1. Name:

2. Gender

3. Discipline you participate in. (can be all 3)

4. What do you look for when you purchase items such as jerseys, pants, gloves and goggles?

5. What price would you pay for these items?

6. Are you brand sensitive?

7. Do you look at the trends that the 'pro' riders are wearing and take that into consideration when purchasing apparel?

8. Do you think that price is a large factor when choosing what items you purchase?

9. What sort of change do you believe needs to be seen in the apparel industry?

10. Would you wear a brand of clothing that does not have the 'designer' name?

11. Do you see this company having a place in the current industry?

13. Currently, do you have any issues with the 'major' players in the apparel industry?

13. Any remarks or comments on what you believe needs to be incorporated into this company to change the industry?

14. How often would you wear riding specific clothing, and how often do you have to throw out clothing due to damage etc?

15. Do you purchase these items from the internet or from a shop?

If you would be able to take a few minutes to help me out I would be grateful. If you would like the task sheet for this assignment to validate what I am asking for I would be more that happy to supply you with that.
Thanks heaps everyone.
Reece.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1. Name: Steven

2. Gender Male

XC/DH

4. What do you look for when you purchase items such as jerseys, pants, gloves and goggles?
I look for the best fit, but looks are a mandatory second.

5. What price would you pay for these items?If it fits well, Anything.

6. Are you brand sensitive?Errr, Maybe a tiny bit. But If something suits me the best I don't care what brand but If there's multiple items that suit, then I pick brands.

7. Do you look at the trends that the 'pro' riders are wearing and take that into consideration when purchasing apparel?
Not at all.

8. Do you think that price is a large factor when choosing what items you purchase?
Not really, unless its excessively overpriced. I don't buy riding gear often. It usually lasts 1-2years or more.

Better prices to match (sometimes identical) moto gear. More casual MTB related gear.

10. Would you wear a brand of clothing that does not have the 'designer' name? Yes. As far as casual clothes go, I have $70 brand name t-shirts and $12 t-shirts and really.. they fit the same, look the same, no one can tell the difference except my bank. Fit is very important, names aren't. Goes the same for riding gear.

Yes But I don't see how costs are going to be lower then normal?

13. Currently, do you have any issues with the 'major' players in the apparel industry? TLD making too many "out there" designs and not enough light weight quality basic gear for the everyday punter/racer.

13. Any remarks or comments on what you believe needs to be incorporated into this company to change the industry? Apparel only store is pretty industry changing (atleast for MTB'ing). A store purely for riding gear smack bang in the middle of DFO or something would see me buying alot more gear. Big variety is needed. Alot of bike shops only have 1 brand or 1-2styles from each brand.

14. How often would you wear riding specific clothing, and how often do you have to throw out clothing due to damage etc?
I'd use it twice a week usually, I'd throw out a kit probably at the 12-18month mark unless it's ripped or something. Although there'd be a rotation of 2-3 kits.

Shop. Although there's not enough (none) that have an option to try the gear on, Although I can try the jerseys on if I need or gauge a rough size. If it happens to be the wrong size I can exchange.

Goodluck Reece!

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1. Name:
Chris O'Dowd

2. Gender
Male

Downhill

As most of the kit you wear is of fairly similair materials (or so I believe) just what ever design I like the most.

5. What price would you pay for these items? As cheap as possible. For the four items you mentioned in Q4, it cost me roughly 250-300 I believe. Am still a teenager though so got it over a period of time/birthday/christmas presents so not 100% sure.

Wouldn't say I'm brand sensitive, just find that companies such as TLD have designs I think look better. I did however pick my kit at the moment because I saw Sam and Brendan wearing it at worlds and thought it looked good (not cause they wore it, not that much of a fan-boy lol). So when it came time to buying it I went looking for that gear specifically instead of looking to much at other brands because I knew I liked that kit already.

Don't care so much what the pro riders wear (I wear body armor which is definately not in fashion at the moment as one example) but as I said in question 6 the stuff they wear gets more exposure and if I like it why look at other gear?

Definately, if I like one item more than another but its only a $10-$20 difference no big deal. But when there's a difference of about $50+ which happens with some of the brands I think the products are largely the same then I'll take the cheaper option.

I'd like to see more comfort in body armor mainly. Wearing a coresaver at the moment which is good yet it does make me sweat a lot (meaning I get dehydrated really easily on rides) even in the cooler months in queensland and I'd also rather not look like a ninja turtle. Havn't ever tried gear like POC so can't comment on if they perform better but they're also a lot more money which puts me off buying them as theres always something I need to fix on the bike itself so lower prices too but obviously quality is always going to cost more.

If it worked just as well and I liked the design of it then yes.

If it had compedative pricing I would much rather buy local than somewhere like CRC. TBSM is one sight that does a good job yet some items are still much cheaper there so when I'm only getting a small amount of money from a part time job pricing is key for me. Though I still try to use my LBS as much as possible so I think I would definately.

13. Currently, do you have any issues with the 'major' players in the apparel industry?
Nope

13. Any remarks or comments on what you believe needs to be incorporated into this company to change the industry?
Cost is really the only thing I can think of. Don't think there's really anything else wrong with it but I haven't been involved long enough or bought enough stuff to have had any real issues.

I wear my riding kit pretty much every ride now. Had a few reasonably heavy crashes in it and only a couple of tiny tears which I think is great. As apose to my flano which ripped in one small crash. Been wearing this gear for about 4months now and only changed from my past gear because I grew out of it.

Internet generally. I try and buy mechanical parts from my LBS but clothing generally online.

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
1. Name: Ben

2. Gender: Male

3. Discipline you participate in: DH/4X

4. What do you look for when you purchase items such as jerseys, pants, gloves and goggles? Fit, Build Quality, Looks, Cost

5. What price would you pay for these items? $100 for pants $40 for jerseys $30 for gloves

6. Are you brand sensitive? No, as long as the gear fits the criteria as mentioned above.

7. Do you look at the trends that the 'pro' riders are wearing and take that into consideration when purchasing apparel? No.

8. Do you think that price is a large factor when choosing what items you purchase? Yes, closeout is where its at :) (Thank god mx guys can't stand last years kit so stores have to blow it out for cheap! :p)

9. What sort of change do you believe needs to be seen in the apparel industry? Less freaking horrible designs. There is a point where kits become too over the top and I'll pay the extra $5-10 for something that isn't so ridiculous looking - the Fox Platinum 'Faith' kit comes to mind:eek:

10. Would you wear a brand of clothing that does not have the 'designer' name? Yes, I generally can't afford 'designer' stuff, although closeout helps here as I find that some of the more expensive stuff is better

11. Do you see this company having a place in the current industry? Yes, as mentioned in previous posts, costs are going to be tough to keep down.

13. Currently, do you have any issues with the 'major' players in the apparel industry? Some of the new designs make me vomit a little, generally its all pretty good though.

13. Any remarks or comments on what you believe needs to be incorporated into this company to change the industry? Greater distribution and competitive prices in all markets.

14. How often would you wear riding specific clothing, and how often do you have to throw out clothing due to damage etc? Wear riding kit usually about 2 times a week. Only stuff I don't wear is stuff that I've grown out of, most of my kit is 2 years old minimum.

15. Do you purchase these items from the internet or from a shop? Buy all my stuff on the internet, shops are expensive and I have a pretty good idea of which sizes fit me for each brand, so I don't need to go to a physical storefront to buy my stuff. :)

Last edited:

Staunch

Eats Squid
1. Name: Oskar

2. Gender Male

3. Discipline you participate in. (can be all 3) Downhill, Dirt jumping/street, XC

Decent sizing, being a lanky kid TLD stuff often is too short (Pants being moto influenced). Then value for money

Up to about $30 for gloves because I go through pair pretty quickly, $80 for pants and $60 for goggles. Don't wear jerseys.

Not really, willing to give most things a ok but will avoid some brands

I couldn't care what the pros are wearing, as long as I like what I'm rocking.

Definitely

Better sizing for DH, lot of companies use a moto style of pants which end just above the ankles...or maybe I'll just too lanky. Also stronger/longer lasting jerseys. Got sick of paying heaps then ripping them first crash, hence why I don't wear them anymore.

As long as it's decent yeah

If they produce quality products at a reasonable price, yeah.

Not really, apart from the TLD sizing thing, or again, maybe that's just me.

Better sizing, again, maybe it's just me.

I wear 'riding clothing' whenever I ride DH or XC, which is usually once a week. DJ/street jeans and t-shirt/hoodie are fine. Pants always last me a long time although like I said previously sometimes I'd rip jerseys first ride.

Purchase most things from the internet as being a student means I'm always low on money, ahah

There you go man, sorry if my answers weren't very helpful, ahah.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1. Name: Hannah!

2. Gender: Well, it does sound female :)

3. Discipline you participate in. (can be all 3): BMX

4. What do you look for when you purchase items such as jerseys, pants, gloves and goggles? Anything that fits, which is difficult for me

5. What price would you pay for these items? For something that fits me well? up to $60 for gloves, jersey maybe $80, pants up to $100

6. Are you brand sensitive? Not really, I just find some fit better than others for me, which is why I stick with them

7. Do you look at the trends that the 'pro' riders are wearing and take that into consideration when purchasing apparel? nah, I have my own taste :)

8. Do you think that price is a large factor when choosing what items you purchase? Not really, like I said, if it fits (rare) then I'm happy to fork out for it, provided it's quality

9. What sort of change do you believe needs to be seen in the apparel industry? More female clothing designed for female bodyshapes! And for short people like me!

10. Would you wear a brand of clothing that does not have the 'designer' name? Sure, and I'd love to rep an Aussie brand at that.

11. Do you see this company having a place in the current industry? Sure, especially if they supplied online at prices cheaper than the overseas market

13. Currently, do you have any issues with the 'major' players in the apparel industry? Troy Lee don't fit me at all (apparel or helmets).

13. Any remarks or comments on what you believe needs to be incorporated into this company to change the industry? Definitely something with online shopping, cheap prices and postage and easy fitting or return options.

14. How often would you wear riding specific clothing, and how often do you have to throw out clothing due to damage etc? I wear specific clothing everytime I ride, my jersey at the least. Sometimes in summer I use cargos instead of race pants due to the heat. Gloves: always. I generally don't wear out any of my gear, they are extremely durable and I try and take care of them

15. Do you purchase these items from the internet or from a shop? Mostly internet, as many local dealers don't stock female/youth sizes that I need

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Theres a few wonderful websites around that might use say, some, "people", whom will do your assignments for you instead of doing the research yourself....

Maybe give them a go.....

Apparently it is the thing at universities for tired, busy UNI students and the like..... (or those too lazy to use the Deep Web or a SEARCH function).....

Jarrad

Likes Dirt
1. Name: Jarrad

2. Gender Male

3. Discipline you participate in. (can be all 3) DH and XC

Fitting, quality, price

gloves 50. jersey 50. pants 100. goggles 150.

A little.

Not particularly.

Definitely

Would be nice to see more casual wear in the bike shops. The price of some gear such as jerseys seem a little excessive

Sure

As long as they don't sell poor quality gear, sure. Look what happened to Unit. Started off as nothing at the Goldy and now its huge.

Seems that TLD is a shiteload more cost wise than any other brand. Not necassarily because of a better quality product either...

-

Whenever I ride. Thrown out a few jerseys and shirts from crashes which has torn holes in them. Couple of times a season.

Net. Generally the range of apparel online is far better than the LBS.

>moto<

Likes Bikes
1. Name:
Steve

2. Gender:
Male

Motorcross/Enduro + XC/Freeride + Trials

They have to look good and function well. Quality is up there too, I don't mind spending up if I feel I'm getting a superior product.

Whatever it takes really (within reason of course). I have previously paid $150 for goggles, $60 for gloves and $100+ for pants/jerseys

Not especially but I do tend to stick to mainstream stuff and avoid cheap alternatives

No, not really. Though if I see a Pro with something that I like or think would benefit me I might search for it and buy it.

It's a decent chunk yes. It's more a combination of perceived value for me. If it looks, feels and seems better the higher price feels justified.

I think overall it's fair to say most stuff presented in Aus is overpriced. I'd like to see uniform price reductions. Why not consider trying to sell casual clothes in mainstream shops too, the casual clothes appeal to a larger market than just moto/pushie riders.

I would if still looked good. My experience 'no name' stuff generally means bland, boring a lesser quality.

Sure.

Other than I believe that their monopolisation of the market is used to keep prices high even at times like this when the Aussie dollar is strong.

I wear it most weekends and some weekdays. I have ride differnt sets of ride gear for each discipline I ride too so it's pretty expensive. I replace the moto stuff the quickest and would say I buy 2 pairs of goggles a year and 3 pant/jersey combo's a year too. Gloves are more like 4 pairs a year.

Both but more so over the internet these days. I'm sick of getting ripped off in Aus when I can buy from the UK/US for half the price.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
1. Name:Connor

2. GenderMale

3. Discipline you participate in. (can be all 3)DH, XC

4. What do you look for when you purchase items such as jerseys, pants, gloves and goggles?Value, quality and a cool design:p

5. What price would you pay for these items?If they were good quality and durable I'd pay $60 Jersey, $100 Pants, $40 Gloves, $70 Goggles

6. Are you brand sensitive?Not really, but sometimes it gets hard to get many things that match without buying the same brand

7. Do you look at the trends that the 'pro' riders are wearing and take that into consideration when purchasing apparel?To some extent, but I'm not going to be buying a TLD Medusa kit anytime soon:p

8. Do you think that price is a large factor when choosing what items you purchase?Definitely, I'm not going to pay a huge amount on something that'll just get dirty and torn eventually

9. What sort of change do you believe needs to be seen in the apparel industry?Price. This isn't one of the cheapest sports ever and proper kit can get very expensive after it all adds

10. Would you wear a brand of clothing that does not have the 'designer' name?Sure, like above if its durable and cheap enough why not?

11. Do you see this company having a place in the current industry?Yep, if you can offer the goods at a reasonable price then your in with a chance:p

13. Currently, do you have any issues with the 'major' players in the apparel industry?Value

13. Any remarks or comments on what you believe needs to be incorporated into this company to change the industry? Create some really different designs. Hot pink with orange polka dots??:p

14. How often would you wear riding specific clothing, and how often do you have to throw out clothing due to damage etc?I'd wear it when needed, I only need to throw out my stuff when they've worn out so not too often, but the odd crash probably doesnt help so maybe every year and a half

15. Do you purchase these items from the internet or from a shop?Internet, Try to buy in Australia though. Only because the few shops I'm near dont have a great range

Reece.

Likes Dirt
Would just like to say a huge thanks to everyone for your feedback/responses, (except for skwiz05, you seem like a bit of a cocky keyboard warrior in my opinion....)

Your feedback is really going to help with what I need to include in the company to make it great! Thanks again guys!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
1. Name: Rob

2. Gender M

3. Discipline you participate in. (can be all 3) DH

4. What do you look for when you purchase items such as jerseys, pants, gloves and goggles? Fit, functionality, comfort and aesthetics

5. What price would you pay for these items? jerseys up to $90, pants up to $200, goggles up to $60 (my cheap Scotts are awesome and goggles get trashed so easily I don't want to pay much for them)

6. Are you brand sensitive? A little bit - I wouldn't wear a jersey that was sporting a brand of bike that I didn't ride... And there are some brands that I just don't like...

7. Do you look at the trends that the 'pro' riders are wearing and take that into consideration when purchasing apparel? Absolutely not - most of the pros tend to be given really ugly stuff by their sponsors that looks like dogs have thrown up on it. Or maybe it's "cool".

8. Do you think that price is a large factor when choosing what items you purchase? To an extent, I'm more worried about quality.

9. What sort of change do you believe needs to be seen in the apparel industry? I think designers need to calm down a bit and keep things a bit simpler. I also think that brands need to cater more for different body types, ie having pants that fit tall skinny guys.

10. Would you wear a brand of clothing that does not have the 'designer' name? Absolutely.

11. Do you see this company having a place in the current industry? Sure

13. Currently, do you have any issues with the 'major' players in the apparel industry? Some of the TLD stuff I own is really badly made; I have 2 pairs or shorts that are both coming apart after less than a year of riding.

13. Any remarks or comments on what you believe needs to be incorporated into this company to change the industry? Higher quality, simpler designs and not hiking up prices for "cool" brands.

14. How often would you wear riding specific clothing, and how often do you have to throw out clothing due to damage etc? I wear riding specific clothing every weekday for commuting and every weekend for DH. I replace most items after a year at most due to wear and tear.

15. Do you purchase these items from the internet or from a shop? A combination of both, usually whatever is cheapest although lately I've taken to spending a little more now that I've found a bike shop that I like.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would just like to say a huge thanks to everyone for your feedback/responses, (except for skwiz05, you seem like a bit of a cocky keyboard warrior in my opinion....)

Your feedback is really going to help with what I need to include in the company to make it great! Thanks again guys!
Had to laugh at that. Just letting you know there are other options out there........after all, the dozen replies here is anything but a real survey you would base a business on.......
Id hedge the bets theres already other research done you COULD tap into...if you would bother to outsourse your taskings.......

Just to let you know...a few hours of work and I found 5 other businesses that were happy to share their info.......as your questions were very generic.....

But then, I take no offence if you dont try any other way then your own. After all, its only a suggestion. I halved my time for my Business Diploma in a similar assessable submission this way......

Last edited: