IH Sunday...... Really???

T-Rex

Template denier
The Shed at the House of Rex needs one of it's periodic clear-outs of bikes that don't get ridden enough, to make way for more bikes which are more likely to get ridden.

After chickening out of riding the last NSW State DH round at Thredbo and marshaling instead, I decided that the mighty Sunday, quintessential DH bike of the "Noughtys", 2 x World Championship winner (should have been 3 x), should go to some worthy kid on a budget who would ride it more than once every two years.

Not finding any in the first couple of pages of Rotorburn's for sale section, I thought I could piss you all off and post one of those really annoying "how much is my bike worth" threads.

However I decided to consult Mr Google instead. I was stunned with what I found.

On gumtree the cheapest one was $1,000, going up to $1,800. On Pinkbike bare frames were asking GBP250 - 450. I was thinking a 7 year old DH bike would be worth maybe $500 if I was lucky.

Have these things turned into some sort of collector's item?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I would delete Gumtree from your data set in gaining an average. The amount of idiots on there is astounding. Saw a 2 year old Remedy 9 with all the X1 kit removed and replaced with Alivio and Deore going for top price recently on GT. So much silly crap like that. Another frame that I looked at had no sizing on it, was old and scratched but when I enquired they said they didn't know what wheel size or anything but still wanted to charge $350 for it. People on that site have no fucking clue what they're on about....., dreaming some may say.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
1k seems to be the average on Farcebook trading pages. Build and condition dependent of course.

John U

MTB Precision
I paid a grand for mine a couple of years ago. It was solid but well ridden, with 2010 Boxxer would cups.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I paid a grand for mine a couple of years ago. It was solid but well ridden, with 2010 Boxxer would cups.
I think the market has bottomed out on them. They're a popular resto/custom rig with all the cool kids wanting a bit of retro chic.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Asking price and actual price are quite different. I paid $800 for a complete Sunday a year ago with a good build. Have had the opportunity to pick up a couple more for the same price. They were all asking around the $1100+ mark to start with.

DW links are starting to wear and the spares available are outrageously expensive, just over $300 for an aftermarket one out of Europe.

moorey

call me Mia
Seen a dozen in the last 6 months, $750-1250 has been the advertised range, but the dearer ones didn't sell for that. They rarely seem to pull more than a G unless pretty special.

John U

MTB Precision
I'd been looking for a DH bike for a while when I purchased mine. I was at the point where iy ticked all the boxes and I couldn't be fucked looking any longer. I may have paid too much.

My links appear to be OK. I believe the top shock pin is the only thing that needs replacing.

T-Rex

Template denier
I think the market has bottomed out on them. They're a popular resto/custom rig with all the cool kids wanting a bit of retro chic.
That was probably the answer I suspected I was looking for Knuckles.

From your comments above boys, it seems to me that they are selling for a lot more than other bikes of similar vintage.

I replaced the DW link in mine a couple of years ago, along with new bearings, so the back triangle is tight.

T-Rex Junior borrowed the back wheel and brought it back with a flat spot in it, but I've got a new rim there so that will go in before it's sold, along with a fork service. It's spent most of it's life hanging on a hook, and would be lucky to have had two outings in the last four years.

I hope the new owner gets as much enjoyment out of it as I have.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Can I just have it? I'm looking for a point 6 now and another Sunday to build a lighter free ride rig. Build up my IH garage...

Out of interest, Moorey, what would a pretty special Sunday go for? I'm on full 2014-2015 specs, every part pretty high end stuff too. Sorry to hijack.

Boom King

Can I just have it? I'm looking for a point 6 now and another Sunday to build a lighter free ride rig. Build up my IH garage...

Out of interest, Moorey, what would a pretty special Sunday go for? I'm on full 2014-2015 specs, every part pretty high end stuff too. Sorry to hijack.
You would make heaps more parting it out hazza.

moorey

call me Mia
Won't ever sell it, just wondering how much value it would lose being a good spec bike on old frame
1. What Boomer said
2. Upgrades rarely translate well to resale value. I know you arent selling, but if you were, you'd likely be lowballed by someone after a donor bike purely for parts.
3. Its worth what someone is willing to pay for it...and with people selling theirs for sweet fa, its worth just above that.

Boom King

Won't ever sell it, just wondering how much value it would lose being a good spec bike on old frame
Reckon you would be lucky to get $1200.

About a year ago I saw an immaculate Gold limited edition Sam Hill Sunday sell for $1050. Granted, yours is better spec'ed, but this was a lovely bike. Frame was handmade in the USA too.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One of the very few bikes that have kept a solid resale value. 1-1.2k for a good nick one with solid spec. They have actually come up in value, or maybe I just sold mine too cheap :pout:

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Yeah 1200 tops, unless it has a hero spec it might fetch a bit more. Still my fav dh bike, a bit heavy by today's standards but jeez they ride well!

Simsoi

Likes Bikes
Large Sundays are quite popular. Maybe around $1k for a 2009 model.
I read about fitting grub screws (or similar) through the lower linkage to stop the play developing.
Anyone seen that?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Check out my rebuild thread, last page someone was mentioning that. (i think it's in my thread anyway)

I replace and re grease bolts and bearing fairly regularly, no play if you look after them. I got a creak somewhere but no play. Even with the original bottom linkage ground out to fit an rc4 there's no flex. High maintenance but they look good and ride hard.

Simsoi

Likes Bikes
Check out my rebuild thread, last page someone was mentioning that. (i think it's in my thread anyway)

I replace and re grease bolts and bearing fairly regularly, no play if you look after them. I got a creak somewhere but no play. Even with the original bottom linkage ground out to fit an rc4 there's no flex. High maintenance but they look good and ride hard.
I miss my Sunday :(

The bottom linkage wore away in Whistler. Maybe I could of done more... So sad.

Used to get a creak on the top shock mounting bolt. Bit of grease and it would go for a while.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I miss my Sunday :(

The bottom linkage wore away in Whistler. Maybe I could of done more... So sad.

Used to get a creak on the top shock mounting bolt. Bit of grease and it would go for a while.
Not sure where my creak is coming from, sounds like the bottom shock mount but can't tell. Full tear down rebuild soon.

They're a great bike, I can't part with mine. The work I've done to mine brings it up to modern geo, it's lower longer and slacked than a carbon V10 so people can't complain about geo, but the suspension is a bit dated now.

If you could pull $1200 I'd be impressed, saw a 2014 Session 9.9 carbon go for 3.3k the other day, getting over a third of thY. for an alloy bike five years + older is pretty decent.