Illawarra Escarpment Mountain Bike Draft Strategy: Public Consultation

Ackland

chats d'élevage
The report is a compilation of the submissions that were received during the consultation period with brief responses to the general themes.

I applaud the management responses for not being drawn into alarmist and emotional public submissions.

My dot points:

Trail Network and scale of proposal
MTBers see new development in an area that they currently can't access but still ask for MORE AGAIN.
MTBers over estimate their skills and want MOAR BLACK DIAMOND GNAR
General support of well built and designed trails
Walkers consider MTB trails to be heresy
Walkers don't want to share their toys
Walkers think that bikes can just use the vehicle tracks and be happy.
Walkers see that MTB trails are being suggested as new construction and don't understand that they already have access and therefore don't need more walking trails.

Management responses: We support trail development, a separate process is being undertaken to rationalise the walking network across the region and is also subject to funding

Infrastructure and Services
MTBers are lazy and want shuttles - when did people get so lazy?
Everyone wants more parking
Walkers somehow think that MTBers using the same parking lot as them will cause tension!
Everyone wants loos, maps and bins.

Management responses: Car parks, loos and a cafe are part of the strategy along with new signage.

Development of the Strategy
MTBers are happy that someone is addressing cycling in the area.
Walkers wonder why MTBers were so heavily consulted in a MTB trail plan
Walkers and conservationists are sure that this must be against some sort of Act.
Walkers think that DirtArt just wrote a glowing feasibility study because they want to win the build contract (this may be somewhat true)

Management responses: We consulted appropriate groups particular to the subject matter. Trail alignments were constrained to identified areas. The strategy has been developed in line with NSW NP&W Act 1974

Impact on the Community
Lots of support for the benefits of active tourism and increased recreation, especially among youth and families.
Walkers carried on about "potential conflict", especially where (separated) trails came close to each other (the horror).
Walkers were sure that MTB access into an area already used for extensive bushwalking would surely scare the animals away.
Walkers claimed that the area was only suitable for passive recreation but failed to note that MTB is also classed as passive recreation.
Another paragraph about conflict despite overwhelming international precedent and research showing that the more often that people are exposed to a shared use environment, the less their perception of conflicts.

Management responses: Through staged openings, conflicts will be monitored and managed through signage and trail design. The network is designed for a wide variety of users.

Environmental and cultural Heritage impacts
Some valid points about aboriginal cultural sites.
General nonsense about MTB trails and their environmental impact being greater than any other form of trail based activity.

Management responses: Thanks for your responses but believe it or not, we've already thought about this a fair bit.

Future Management
Valid points that the strategy lacked detail on the governance of cross tenure networks.
MTBers were generally keen to form trail care groups and to help with trail construction and design where possible.
Walkers questioned the resourcing for maintenance.
Walking groups wanted equal investment in walking trails and facilities (despite there already being a significant walking network and obviously overlooking that upgraded trailhead facilities would benefit all users).
Risk averse folk were concerned about over crowding (this kinda supports the need for more trails) and liability.
NIMBY groups questioned whether banning MTB was considered in the MTB development strategy.

Management responses: We haven't totally worked out how cross tenure management will work but we're not that far down the garden path yet. Emergency response plans are easy enough so don't stress.

Next Steps
We're forming a big ass government working group (because that's super efficient) and we'll continue to put out documents once a year just to keep you on the hook for a while longer.
Also we don't have the funding to build anything yet so we're just treading water.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Seems like progress in NSW is as slow as WA. Generally positive here adn there but an excessive amount of report writing and red tape associated with legalising trails that have been used for years and slow progress in terms of building anything new. I think we'll both get there eventually! I think the Illawara Escarpment has massive potential, great dirt good elevation, close to a major centre and the Dong was a nice place!
fixed

mark22

Likes Dirt
The report is a compilation of the submissions that were received during the consultation period with brief responses to the general themes.

I applaud the management responses for not being drawn into alarmist and emotional public submissions.

My dot points:

Trail Network and scale of proposal
MTBers see new development in an area that they currently can't access but still ask for MORE AGAIN.
General support of well built and designed trails
Walkers consider MTB trails to be heresy
Walkers don't want to share their toys
Walkers think that bikes can just use the vehicle tracks and be happy.
Walkers see that MTB trails are being suggested as new construction and don't understand that they already have access and therefore don't need more walking trails.

Management responses: We support trail development, a separate process is being undertaken to rationalise the walking network across the region and is also subject to funding

Infrastructure and Services
MTBers are lazy and want shuttles - when did people get so lazy?
Everyone wants more parking
Walkers somehow think that MTBers using the same parking lot as them will cause tension!
Everyone wants loos, maps and bins.

Management responses: Car parks, loos and a cafe are part of the strategy along with new signage.

Development of the Strategy
MTBers are happy that someone is addressing cycling in the area.
Walkers wonder why MTBers were so heavily consulted in a MTB trail plan
Walkers and conservationists are sure that this must be against some sort of Act.
Walkers think that DirtArt just wrote a glowing feasibility study because they want to win the build contract (this may be somewhat true)

Management responses: We consulted appropriate groups particular to the subject matter. Trail alignments were constrained to identified areas. The strategy has been developed in line with NSW NP&W Act 1974

Impact on the Community
Lots of support for the benefits of active tourism and increased recreation, especially among youth and families.
Walkers carried on about "potential conflict", especially where (separated) trails came close to each other (the horror).
Walkers were sure that MTB access into an area already used for extensive bushwalking would surely scare the animals away.
Walkers claimed that the area was only suitable for passive recreation but failed to note that MTB is also classed as passive recreation.
Another paragraph about conflict despite overwhelming international precedent and research showing that the more often that people are exposed to a shared use environment, the less their perception of conflicts.

Management responses: Through staged openings, conflicts will be monitored and managed through signage and trail design. The network is designed for a wide variety of users.

Environmental and cultural Heritage impacts
Some valid points about aboriginal cultural sites.
General nonsense about MTB trails and their environmental impact being greater than any other form of trail based activity.

Management responses: Thanks for your responses but believe it or not, we've already thought about this a fair bit.

Future Management
Valid points that the strategy lacked detail on the governance of cross tenure networks.
MTBers were generally keen to form trail care groups and to help with trail construction and design where possible.
Walkers questioned the resourcing for maintenance.
Walking groups wanted equal investment in walking trails and facilities (despite there already being a significant walking network and obviously overlooking that upgraded trailhead facilities would benefit all users).
Risk averse folk were concerned about over crowding (this kinda supports the need for more trails) and liability.
NIMBY groups questioned whether banning MTB was considered in the MTB development strategy.

Management responses: We haven't totally worked out how cross tenure management will work but we're not that far down the garden path yet. Emergency response plans are easy enough so don't stress.

Next Steps
We're forming a big ass government working group (because that's super efficient) and we'll continue to put out documents once a year just to keep you on the hook for a while longer.
Also we don't have the funding to build anything yet so we're just treading water.
Thanks for the overview @Ackland. Going to be great when it finally gets up and running, I can foresee some problems with the Aboriginal contingent which nobody likes to talk about much, hope it goes well though, wish it was going to be in my backyard.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This was not really the case here. This feedback was in direct response to the proposed trail network for stage one that consisted of mostly green and blue trails. Local riders we encouraged to draw attention to this and to call for more black trails to be developed in stage one since the areas is more know for its Gnar.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
This was not really the case here. This feedback was in direct response to the proposed trail network for stage one that consisted of mostly green and blue trails. Local riders we encouraged to draw attention to this and to call for more black trails to be developed in stage one since the areas is more know for its Gnar.
It's always best practice to roll out the green and blue trails first, especially when it's in a new area.
Gives the Walkers and conservationists a chance to see the benefits to the wider community before the enduro kids start rolling in giving zero fucks.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's always best practice to roll out the green and blue trails first, especially when it's in a new area.
Gives the Walkers and conservationists a chance to see the benefits to the wider community before the enduro kids start rolling in giving zero fucks.
That won’t work here as it is not a new area for MTB. One of the aims of the project is to transition riders from a large network of informal/illegal trails to a formal network. We need like for like trail riding experience or they have not got a chance in hell if closing existing trails that are not suitable for the area. The area already attracts those riders that give zero Fs so it will be hard to get those riders on board when the time comes.
I can’t see the local pros and semi pros training on green and blue trails as well. I think they just need to deliver a good mix of trails to realize all the potential benefits.

LPG

likes thicc birds
That won’t work here as it is not a new area for MTB. One of the aims of the project is to transition riders from a large network of informal/illegal trails to a formal network. We need like for like trail riding experience or they have not got a chance in hell if closing existing trails that are not suitable for the area. The area already attracts those riders that give zero Fs so it will be hard to get those riders on board when the time comes.
I can’t see the local pros and semi pros training on green and blue trails as well. I think they just need to deliver a good mix of trails to realize all the potential benefits.
Agreed. There are a huge amount of serious local riders that are used to having a huge variety of trails that would be very blue, Black or Double Black. Having Blue and Green trails isn't going to satisfy a big chunk of the local riders at all and will just encourage unsanctioned trails.

I love the idea of legal trails but I am worried by the changes to existing, well maintained and often challenging trails. Local riders are used to having a lot of variety of trails and there is always challenging trails or lines waiting for you when you want to step it up. There is a lot of tough but awesome trails that I doubt would have been built if they were formalised.

In the long run it will be a good thing but I'm not looking forward to the transition period where what is existing needs to start being managed.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Well that's good news... long time coming...

After almost eight years of planning, construction on Wollongong’s new mountain bike network is just weeks away.

A contractor has been engaged for the first stage of the Illawarra Escarpment Mountain Bike [IEMB] network, and it is all systems go for work to start in September.

Planning has been underway since 2015 for the long-awaited network which would incorporate, and replace, “unsanctioned” trails which have been built and maintained by mountain bike enthusiasts over the years.

A spokeswoman for the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service, which is in charge of the project, named September as the start date on the first stage. “The Mountain Bike Strategy consists of two track networks, one at [Mount] Kembla and the other at Balgownie” she said. “The planning approvals are now in place for the Kembla network, and NPWS has engaged a contractor to start the works that are expected to begin onsite in September.”

The Mount Kembla trails would continue to three main end points downhill - one near the Windy Gully car park, one near Kirkwood Place, and one near the Mount Keira Rural Fire Service base on Mt Keira Rd. Experienced trail building company Synergy Trails has been involved in the planning over several years, including designing the types of built features that would form the new trails. The Mercury understands Synergy Trails is the contractor for the first stage.

Last edited:

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great news, but some great trails will closed so if you are in the area it is best to start getting your last laps in now.

Synergy had a post up on fake book about getting the gig and it has since been removed so maybe they jumped the gun a little.

Synergy were on the ground supporting this from the very early days so good to see them get the job.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Great news, but some great trails will closed so if you are in the area it is best to start getting your last laps in now.

Synergy had a post up on fake book about getting the gig and it has since been removed so maybe they jumped the gun a little.

Synergy were on the ground supporting this from the very early days so good to see them get the job.
Did you hear of what was going to be closed in the near future? The last I heard the agreement that no trails would be closed until new trails were built was likely to be backed out of. Next I hear that Synergy are apparently soon to start.l but no news of if that agreement was backed out of.

I'm expecting Italian job to be closed at a minimum but Frenchie's is probably going with it as it is higher up the mountain which will be a pity as it will cut the current network in half.

One of the Kembla DH lines was running well when I rode it a few weeks ago, hopefully they keep it going. Was a cool rock roll in the middle that didn't used to be there.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did you hear of what was going to be closed in the near future? The last I heard the agreement that no trails would be closed until new trails were built was likely to be backed out of. Next I hear that Synergy are apparently soon to start.l but no news of if that agreement was backed out of.

I'm expecting Italian job to be closed at a minimum but Frenchie's is probably going with it as it is higher up the mountain which will be a pity as it will cut the current network in half.

One of the Kembla DH lines was running well when I rode it a few weeks ago, hopefully they keep it going. Was a cool rock roll in the middle that didn't used to be there.
Yes, and no. The position of closing trails after the new trails were built/open has changed a bit due to a strong push from the Local Aboriginal Groups. They want to close trails at Keira ASAP and discussions came up on this again during reconciliation week. They also needed to support the cultural impact assessments for construction to commence. So trails closures will come earlier now.

I am hearing 2 things and have not seen the official rehabilitation plan yet.
1 All trails on Keira will close
2 only trails on NPWS land will close.

I believe it will be the latter and the initial trail closures from itchy and scratchy all the way down to the mine road on NPWS land and some parts of lower holy on NPWS land.

It was suggested by some riders that half of frenchies could turn into a walking track so the trail continues in some form. Not sure if this will happen.

There was a meeting yesterday that I could not attend and I have not heard what came of it yet.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
My thoughts on trails funded by politics................
Australia is the capital of the world for amateur & entry level mountain bike enthusiast's that are overpaid and spend their money on top of the line ebikes. They ride green trails and brag to everyone about how skilled they are on gnarly stuff yet can't even get their bike off the ground.
This country needs less green trails, less ebike flogs, less government grants issued to build adaptive bike trails palming them off as more green trails, less people who have nothing to do with a forest having a say in it, way less over-the-top insurance needs, less fat political jerks telling you how you are allowed to spend your fun time and less bullshit saying "it's good for the economy".
There's no avenue to advance your skills without the mad dogs that build rad trails because they want to ride rad trails. We're never gonna have a team of top level Australian riders on the world scene without rad trails. The community needs to stay out of the conversation about bike trails when they have no fucking clue what they're on about, just keep buying your kids a bike so they can have a good time with their mates. And absolute amateur rich-boy jerks that brag about buying some overpriced ebike only to go out and complain that the jumps are too big? Fuck off, sell your bike and stay away you wankers. Get some skills, sweat your arse off pushing your bike up a hill to learn the craft. You're part of the reason this country is obsessed with places to ride that are only green.
I've traveled the world with my bike and ridden some amazing places. I've run clubs, run big events, watched the flow-on effect of creating a bike scene where the township thrives on it, I've built some of the best trails you'll ever ride (they're hard though, no wanker squids thanks ;) ) and I've helped young dudes get on the Australian team for downhill. You don't get any that experience riding a place that has warning signs on the trailhead. I've ridden the cool stuff in Wollongong and love it, I desperately hope that this won't turn into a politically driven vote-grab that wrecks what could potentially be one of the best spots to ride your bike in Australia by building tons of green flow crap. We've got enough of that, lets see some advanced stuff get built and enjoy the consequences.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I desperately hope that this won't turn into a politically driven vote-grab that wrecks what could potentially be one of the best spots to ride your bike in Australia by building tons of green flow crap.
Totally agree. But after many years of bs from WCC on this topic, and all the master plans and other crap that NPWS have put out over the years for NPs and mtb trails that amount to no action…
For the sake of my kids, and future generations of riders, I hope that some nice trails get built and maintained around South Sydney and the Illawarra Escarpment. But I’m not holding my breath - and will continue to go walking with emergency gardening tools (in case I come across some entirely legal gardening that needs doing).

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Totally agree. But after many years of bs from WCC on this topic, and all the master plans and other crap that NPWS have put out over the years for NPs and mtb trails that amount to no action…
For the sake of my kids, and future generations of riders, I hope that some nice trails get built and maintained around South Sydney and the Illawarra Escarpment. But I’m not holding my breath - and will continue to go walking with emergency gardening tools (in case I come across some entirely legal gardening that needs doing).
You can’t let that kind of emergency be left undone
The only people that want green trails are people who’ve never ridden bikes. And ebike guys. And Mum taking the kids. Mountain bikers want hard stuff, we’ve got too much green stuff. Build black stuff.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Australia is the capital of the world for amateur & entry level mountain bike enthusiast's that are overpaid and spend their money on top of the line ebikes. They ride green trails and brag to everyone about how skilled they are on gnarly stuff yet can't even get their bike off the ground.
This country needs less green trails, less ebike flogs, less government grants issued to build adaptive bike trails palming them off as more green trails, less people who have nothing to do with a forest having a say in it, way less over-the-top insurance needs, less fat political jerks telling you how you are allowed to spend your fun time and less bullshit saying "it's good for the economy".
There's no avenue to advance your skills without the mad dogs that build rad trails because they want to ride rad trails. We're never gonna have a team of top level Australian riders on the world scene without rad trails. The community needs to stay out of the conversation about bike trails when they have no fucking clue what they're on about, just keep buying your kids a bike so they can have a good time with their mates. And absolute amateur rich-boy jerks that brag about buying some overpriced ebike only to go out and complain that the jumps are too big? Fuck off, sell your bike and stay away you wankers. Get some skills, sweat your arse off pushing your bike up a hill to learn the craft. You're part of the reason this country is obsessed with places to ride that are only green.
I've traveled the world with my bike and ridden some amazing places. I've run clubs, run big events, watched the flow-on effect of creating a bike scene where the township thrives on it, I've built some of the best trails you'll ever ride (they're hard though, no wanker squids thanks ;) ) and I've helped young dudes get on the Australian team for downhill. You don't get any that experience riding a place that has warning signs on the trailhead. I've ridden the cool stuff in Wollongong and love it, I desperately hope that this won't turn into a politically driven vote-grab that wrecks what could potentially be one of the best spots to ride your bike in Australia by building tons of green flow crap. We've got enough of that, lets see some advanced stuff get built and enjoy the consequences.
While I appreciate and support your stance, as someone with a background in public land management in NSW, a double blue to double black trail network just isn't possible for a public land manager in a government department to achieve and still maintain his or her sanity. We are required to make all public facilities as accessible as possible to as many people as possible. Especially so on public land adjacent to major population centres. And then you have the 'Utopia' adjacent working environment on top of that. I sure as shit wouldn't try it...

There are ways to do it if there's unmanaged Crown Land that's not subject to a native title claim but good luck finding that. And State Forests 'might' be convinced to let you play. Neither option will get trails built or maintained though...

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Ultimately, it will all come down to whether Synergy is able to recruit some legit experienced builders. With Omeo, Mogo and Glenworth all in full swing, might be tough to get a hold of talent. Let's see.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
green trails
needs less green trails,
more green trails,
rad trails
rad trails.
rad trails.
only green.
warning signs on the trailhead.
tons of green flow crap.
what they are proposing (have comitted?) to build (at Mt Kembla) is:
13 Black trails (7.5km)
23 Blue trails (18.4km)
12 Green trails (5.7km)
13 red climbing trails (Int to Adv) (14.5km)

and material dropped in by helicopter.... which is a lot better than lugging tonnes of shit uphill :)

Last edited:

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Last edited:
Reactions: LPG

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@Dozer I think you are describing the great mtb culture of old that has slowly been dying and being replaced. I remember when people would not share the location of a rad trail and would hide the trail entrance so it was hard to discover. But now everyone shares their riding and even their digging on line. The main thing for me is that the trails were always subject to closure and cool features are already being shut down. Over the last few years the trails were constantly being changed by riders and not always for the better. New riders are always seeking constant smooth lines so the trails that were one a spade wide are now meters wide with b c d and e lines.
New trails were popping up in the same area that were so similar to existing trails it just trashed the bush and gave ammunition to the greenies who want to shut the trails down. I think the worst example was the idiot that painted yellow lines on rock drops or steep sections.

The politics pushing the closer of trails has always been strong. With the voice referendum the cultural element is now at the forefront of all gov departments so no real surprise key cultural areas are going to be shut down.

The only way forward is to go for formal trails. I am still optimistic that we will get a good variety of trails and NPWS have already indicated they want local riders to maintain the trails.