I'm sorry to create another one....

Harder Nox

Likes Dirt
Sorry guys....

Here's the scenario....

Originally i was thinking of buying a Banshee Morphine and going hardtail for a while, well, i've been convinced not to by a couple of people i look up to as riders.

So now, im looking at getting a full blown DH bike. However, if you know me you'd know that i love hucking and dirt jumping and do alot of city riding.
So, what would be the best bike for me??
I weigh approx 80-85kg and I'm about 5'11". I want something with a minimum of 8" rear travel (seven just doesn't do it for me) and i dont want it to be too expensive as i still don't work on a regular basis yet.

Some Frames i was looking at:
- Giant DH Comp
- Sinister R9 (unsure of pirce though)
- Avanti D-Eight
- Kona Stinky/Stab Supreme
- Open to any other suggestions.....

Thanks, once again sorry for posting yet another which bike thread!

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd stay away from D8's as the bb's are soo damn low you'll never be able to ride you yangs again and a stinky / stab isn't really the best pedaling bike around if you want to be city riding and dirt jumping...

rhyno

Likes Dirt
Harder Nox said:
- Sinister R9 (unsure of pirce though)
i think the full bike is about 8000 - 8500 last time i looked. so frame will likely be expensive as compared to the other frames you mentioned.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Turner DHR for $3700 from DHdirect

I take mine on urban rides, jump of stuff, take it downhilling and ride it up hills to get to my local trails. Never a problem. Click on the turner logo below to check it out

spuddy

Likes Dirt
Do you have some sort of budgetry restrictions? Being a young bloke (which you are, i think), money is going to come into it somewhere.

toodles

Wheel size expert
Cave Dweller said:

I take mine on urban rides, jump of stuff, take it downhilling and ride it up hills to get to my local trails. Never a problem. Click on the turner logo below to check it out

I 2nd that. Great frame with good warranty and backup. Cheaper than most US made frames because they sell direct from DHDirect rather than through shops.

Sparkman

Likes Dirt
Think about the Spec Big Hit Expert. It's one plush ride and the frame build quality is second to none. You can adjust the frame to suit what you're going to ride in about 5 minutes with one 6mm allen key. With the swinger 4-way, you can set it up to pedal really well. Basically it does everything reasonably well, as long as you don't fear the 24" rear wheel.

Harder Nox

Likes Dirt
Cave Dweller said:

Didn't work, but i'll check out the website...

My cash flow is VERY VERY low at the moment, however im working at the end of the year and should be working 15+ hours a week next year so it'll be flowing a bit faster than current times.

I won't be buying until mid to late next year but i thought i'd pick something now so that i can find out a price to work for and it allowes time to change my mind if convinced.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Harder Nox said:
Cave Dweller said:
Click on the turner logo below to check it out
Didn't work, but i'll check out the website...
You need to be signed in to get to the link.

Another good option if your on a budget is to get a specilized big hit. My mate has had one for years and has yet to break it, they are good value for money as well. I would take the specilized over a Norco, Kona or Giant anyday.

Pic of my bike anyway

FuTAnT

Likes Dirt
Harder Nox said:
My cash flow is VERY VERY low at the moment, however im working at the end of the year and should be working 15+ hours a week next year so it'll be flowing a bit faster than current times.

I won't be buying until mid to late next year but i thought i'd pick something now so that i can find out a price to work for and it allowes time to change my mind if convinced.
Bearing that in mind I'd be going for a 2nd hand Giant DH Comp. They are around in lots of places to tend to be pretty cheap on the 2nd hand market. If I get sick of the Norco Six, I reckon I'll get one!

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
Keep your frame dude, and wait for something to come up cheap when you have the dosh. Just like me and the Norco, i would never have thought of buying a norco, but at that price i couldnt resist. No point thinking about it now when you are on like negative $$$. :wink:

If worst comes to worst, get some re-welding done by Gripsport, thats IF you crack your shock mount. Maybe Cannondale frame are more than light... :wink:

So keep the Cannondale and upgrade your spec!