IMBA standards on Kokoda Track

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Hey all,
Well this isn't really a MTB trail but I'm still going to post it here as there is a little bit of MTB trailbuilding relevance (mods feel free to shift to off topic thought)

I've just returned from a 7 week trip to PNG where I was part of a volunteer program to do maintance work on the Kokoda Track.
I was based in Owers corner, the start (or finish) of the trail and the idea was to teach some of the local people how to maintain the track so that they can possibly get future employment looking after the track. Given that there are now about 6000 trekkers a year (triple that if you include porters guides etc) on the trail and parts of it are getting a bit thrashed. So for 6 weeks we lived out in a big communal tent with locals and worked on sections of the track. Most of it was digging drains as its very steep and there is serious erosion problems, be we also did some small re-alignments, narrowed sections, cut steps on steep sections and removed rubbish.
Pics below
Home sweet home

Walking home after shopping

Few shots of some of the work crew and their handiwork

Things you find when digging

I sat pretty much on top of this without even knowing for a bit before one of the local kids spotted it and killed it

We were lucky enough to walk the last part of the track with Don, an 83 year old and watch him finish

Anyway, in case you were wondering, the IMBA bit relates to our induction when we got to PNG and they sat us down and started going through what they wanted us to do there. The operations manager of the Kokoda Track Authorty (who is a South Australian who has worked in their national parks) got up and first thing he said was "who knows about the IMBA trail building book?" He then proceeded to spend the next hour or so giving an intro to IMBA trail building - grade dips and reversals etc etc. I quizzed him about it later and he said that some of the field staff in SA Parks were mad mountain bikers and had put him onto the IMBA book so well done to you fellas. So as well as being good for MTB the IMBA standard is also being used by some American National Parks and also the Kokoda Track Authority for walking trails. Pretty cool I reckon.

crofty

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Man oh man! You are a long way from North Van - its freezing over here atm (Snow on Seymour already, whistler skiing is already open)

Amazing to see that the IMBA trail book is getting international recognition outside of MTB circles - well deserved, there really isn't an international standard for hiking trails (as you are undoubtedly aware)

I was planning on tackling the Kokoda trail Autumn 2010, but half my buddies have dropped out to take on Mount Kilomanjaro at that time instead. Not sure whether I'll do either - or perhaps visit the Andes in South America - thats really insane backcountry MTB

Coincidently, this is the second article relating to the Kokoda trail I have read today - a MOvember articipant with some manner of impairment in his leg is crawling the length of the trail to raise additional funds for mens health. I have had open heart surgery and was planning on making my trip a charitable venture for the heart foundation - but I can't trump crawling the whole way - a truely amazing achievement.

I've wandered a long way off topic, but I wonder if the fact the IMBA trail guide has been used in this way could benefit MTB advocacy in some way?

Cheers,

Andrew