Import tax advice. pls help

smoothwakey

Likes Bikes
So I am about to pull the trigger on a Curtis AM7 frame and am wondering how much import tax I will have to pay. The frame costs around 1200 pounds with the options I am going to get. Do any of you guys/girls have an idea of what tax/duty I would have to pay for this? Also does anyone have any tips about avoiding the tax, can I just list the value as $1000 AUD or does that have risks associated (i.e cant insure the shipping for more than $1000)? I am sure there is a bunch of you who have experience with these matters, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Also pic of sexy frame

Attachments

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Thats awesome. I remember reading about curtis in an old hardtail issue of dirt way back. Awesome bikes.

Cant help with dodging import tax, but nice bike.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You'll pay:
- 5%duty +
- 10%gst +
- Customs fee +
- Broker fee.
They will include your delivery cost in the calculations. There is already 2 or 3 threads recently posted discussing this...now there is another.

Avoiding is really difficult. Customs will usually require you to provide some kind of proof of purchase to substantiate the declared value. In one incident they requested I supply a bank statement. That was bull shit as my parcel was genuinely under $1000. Why they can't use the invoices attached to the parcels was really fucking annoying.

One retailer sent me a duality frame in 2 parts, with specific invoices. That worked. Probably not an option for you and your hardened tail.

smoothwakey

Likes Bikes
You'll pay:
- 5%duty +
- 10%gst +
- Customs fee +
- Broker fee.
They will include your delivery cost in the calculations. There is already 2 or 3 threads recently posted discussing this...now there is another.

Avoiding is really difficult. Customs will usually require you to provide some kind of proof of purchase to substantiate the declared value. In one incident they requested I supply a bank statement. That was bull shit as my parcel was genuinely under $1000. Why they can't use the invoices attached to the parcels was really fucking annoying.

One retailer sent me a duality frame in 2 parts, with specific invoices. That worked. Probably not an option for you and your hardened tail.
Cheers man that is helpful. Sorry for creating another thread. I dont frequent these forums much anymore I should have searched first but didn't, oh well the world will still turn we will still ride bikes.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
-Book holiday with work
-Find somewhere cheap and pretty in Europe get to/stay
-Announce to better half you are taking them on a trip
-Arrive at hotel and discover parcel there for you
-Don't do anything with it, focus your attention on you're surroundings and said travel partner
-After having a great holiday and avoiding a few taxes the significant other will give you all the riding time you need on return.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
keep in mind cost + shipping has to be in under $1000, if it were me id declare it at 930ish -& don't over -insure, must be insured for same value

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
keep in mind cost + shipping has to be in under $1000, if it were me id declare it at 930ish -& don't over -insure, must be insured for same value
You don't have the option to declare a value. There must he an indication of value attached to the parcel, such as a customs demarcation and invoice. Then when it arrives here, because our system is really efficient and the courier service needs to "add value" Southey can charge more, you will be contacted by customs through your courier (who is now your customs broker) to request you supply an invoice to establish value. If they think it is bullshit they will then request proof that your payments have mat he'd the invoice, for example a bank or credit card statement. It is painful and tedious and slow and fucking annoying. Don't expect anyone to provide any level of positive customer service.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
If the goods cost <$1000 shipping doesn't get included. so $999 goods and $100 shipping wouldn't attract any fees

If the goods cost $1001 and shipping was $100 you would get fees on $1101

If its over the $1000 just pay the duty/fees. Its the law, and tbh the current threshold of $1k is pretty good.

If they don't supply an invoice/customs deceleration as PP says it can get quite difficult. I had some car parts come in with only an invoice for about $3k and no customs declaration. I ended up getting contacted a couple of days after it landed, by post, and did the customs deceleration myself so didn't get any broker fees.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I had them do that for me once...talk about a pain in the arse! They decided my purchase that was just over $900 included a falsified declaration, and it really was over $1000. What a bunch of cock heads! Sure...the world's biggest bike store is going to bother with that. Anyway it took them a couple of weeks to process my evidence to the contrary and release my parcel.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
At least you guys have all used door to door. Years ago I had a big parcel shipped (over size for standard carriers) and it was sent via schenker- you pay the post from the us, then when it arrives they charge you for custom fees, storage fees, acting on your behalf, then a shipping charge to get from airport to your house - and they have your package so you have no choice but to pay - cost me nearly a thousand dollars to ship something