Importing Shimano brake fluid

rone

Eats Squid
I put in an order from an OS online bike shop last week and in it I included 1 litre of Shimano brake mineral oil. The order was split as I ordered a frame as well - this turned up Tuesday, but the rest of the order seems to have been stuck at "International Hub Forwarded for export" since the 3rd Dec.

It has since occurred to me that there may be some kind of customs issue, although the Customs guide doesn't mention it on their list:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4369.asp#e1064

Has anyone actually bought this from OS? Anybody experienced any problems? I'm a bit toey as the rest of the stuff is needed to complete my new bike which is sitting half finished in the shed.

Thanks

James

Last edited:

donny70

Likes Dirt
I've bought magura blood from the US with no problems. If you have a tracking number phone customs or Aust post ..

rone

Eats Squid
i bought a litre of shimano brake fluid from wiggle about a month ago, had no delays through customs as far as i know.

perhaps the delay is the increased postage load for the xmas?
That was the other possible culprit, although the 2 parts of the order were posted less than 24 hours apart. I have contacted Parcel Force and the retailer (CRC) but am still awaiting a reply. Hopefully I can remove customs from the list of potential hold ups.

floody

Wheel size expert
Theres plenty of other options which work equally as well at a fraction of a cost...too late now I guess.

rone

Eats Squid
Theres plenty of other options which work equally as well at a fraction of a cost...too late now I guess.
I have 3 bikes. They all run Shimano brakes. 1 litre of Shimano mineral oil cost me $21. Seems reasonable to me.

Oracle

Likes Dirt
That was the other possible culprit, although the 2 parts of the order were posted less than 24 hours apart. I have contacted Parcel Force and the retailer (CRC) but am still awaiting a reply. Hopefully I can remove customs from the list of potential hold ups.
I've orderd 1L of shimano mineral oil from CRC with no issue about 6 months ago, so it should clear customs!

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I also did a shite load of lubes and shizz last month (red rum x2, fork oil, mineral oil, grease, and other stuff) all with no probs.

T-Rex

Template denier
I put in an order from an OS online bike shop last week and in it I included 1 litre of Shimano brake mineral oil. The order was split as I ordered a frame as well - this turned up Tuesday, but the rest of the order seems to have been stuck at "International Hub Forwarded for export" since the 3rd Dec.

It has since occurred to me that there may be some kind of customs issue, although the Customs guide doesn't mention it on their list:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4369.asp#e1064

Has anyone actually bought this from OS? Anybody experienced any problems? I'm a bit toey as the rest of the stuff is needed to complete my new bike which is sitting half finished in the shed.

Thanks

James
You didn't happen to buy it from an on line bike shop located in the UK? As in the UK that's been buried in snow for the last couple of weeks?

rone

Eats Squid
You didn't happen to buy it from an on line bike shop located in the UK? As in the UK that's been buried in snow for the last couple of weeks?
That's the UK i'm talking about, yes, but the snow only lasted but a few days before slushing away. As I said one half of the order arrived in the usual time and they were practically dispatched together.

My only concern was that there may have been an issue with the fluid, but that seems to be okay, so I will just have to be patient.

Last edited:

StanzaRallyMan

Likes Bikes
Dont worry,

I had three seperate items, on three seperate orders, sent from Wiggle on the same day. One of which was brake fluid. There was a difference of 10 days between the first one arriving and the last one arriving!

floody

Wheel size expert
I have 3 bikes. They all run Shimano brakes. 1 litre of Shimano mineral oil cost me $21. Seems reasonable to me.
Wow shipping inclusive?

Anyway 5wt Suspension fluid (mineral) will also work very successfully, $20-30, no international uncertainty factor.

rone

Eats Squid
Wow shipping inclusive?

Anyway 5wt Suspension fluid (mineral) will also work very successfully, $20-30, no international uncertainty factor.
Yes. Shipping inclusive. If it was just the fluid I would have bought locally. I am also aware that you can use suspension fluid quite successfully, but I choose to use the recommended Shimano fluid as it cost me the same.

T-Rex

Template denier
Yes. Shipping inclusive. If it was just the fluid I would have bought locally. I am also aware that you can use suspension fluid quite successfully, but I choose to use the recommended Shimano fluid as it cost me the same.
Or you could use baby oil. The one without perfume.

rone

Eats Squid
Apparently you can use Canola oil too. I think, however, that I shall stick to the proper stuff.

Choppa73

Likes Bikes
Hi guys,

Just a few points worth noting from a mechanic

- Most brake systems use typical dot brake fluid which you can purchase for next to nothing at super cheap auto. I use dot4 in my brakes as I cant see the need for anything higher (unless their are riders out there that manage to get there discs glowing red hot while racing). The higher the dot level the higher the boiling point.

- Brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it will absorb moisture. Once you open a bottle of brake fluid, I personally would not use it after 12 months, so try not to buy bulk, buy what you need to refresh your brake system and then buy fresh fluid next time you service your brakes. As with an open bottle of break fluid a brake system will absorb moisture through the master cylinder, so I replace the fluid in my brakes every 12 months (same with cars). Moisture in your fluid will cause your brakes to become spongy, cause corrosion to the internals of your brake system and lower the boiling point of the fluid.

As for using any of the alternatives people have mentioned, yes the brake system may work but definitely will not work as well as brake fluid also alternative fluids may affect the seals in your brake system causing failure in some cases.

Just my 2cents, take from it what you want.

0psi

Eats Squid
- Most brake systems use typical dot brake fluid which you can purchase for next to nothing at super cheap auto. I use dot4 in my brakes

fluids may affect the seals in your brake system causing failure in some cases.
Erm, Like DOT fluid?!?! Please folks, don't do this. DOT is corrosive and will lead to complete failure when used in a Shimano brake. This will be followed by sugrical extraction of face from tree.

You can use mineral oil in a DOT system (like Avid) but braking performance will be shite to put it mildly. The only senario I've come across where this was actually done was when a repair was needed about 300km to the nearest anything and Mineral oil was all that they had. Only done to get home, then the brake was flushed, rebuilt and bled with DOT fluid.

You can use generic fluid just about anywhere on your bike as long as it's the same as whats meant to be in there. So by all means, if you run Avids, feel free to get DOT fluid from an Auto shop. I get all my fork fluids from the local Moto shop. There is also generic Mineral oil available but you are best off with the Shitmano stuff.

Choppa73

Likes Bikes
Erm, Like DOT fluid?!?! Please folks, don't do this. DOT is corrosive and will lead to complete failure when used in a Shimano brake.
As I said most brake systems use dot fluid, not all of them. so why the ?!?!?!?
I never said to use dot fluid in a mineral oil system, just as you wouldn't use dot fluid in a silicon system. I just offered some advise based on what I know about braking systems that may save you a buck or two.

0psi, obviously you are the expert when it comes to brakes, so I will leave all comments from now on to be made by you.

T-Rex

Template denier
Hi guys,

Just a few points worth noting from a mechanic

- Most brake systems use typical dot brake fluid *.
Not Shimano, which is what the OP is running. As Opsi says above, Dot 4 or Dot 5.1 will kill 'em. Don't know about Dot 5 (silicon based), but wouldn't risk it. Mineral oil only in Shimano, please. Dot 4 or 5.1 car fluid is ok in Avids.

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
0psi, obviously you are the expert when it comes to brakes, so I will leave all comments from now on to be made by you.
No I'm not the expert but as stated above the OP was about Shimano brakes, felt the need to point it out as someone without the experience or knowledge to know any better may go out and do what you've suggested (buying Dot) and end up with screwed brakes or worse seriously injured.