Improving a Rockshox Gold RL fork

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
Just bought a new 2020 bike with a “RockShox 35 Gold RL Devon Air” fork. The fork doesn’t feel amazing.

Last fork was a 2014 “FOX Factory Series 34 Float with CTD Adjustable FIT Damper”.

Would giving the fork a lowers service and just replacing the oil and throwing in some slick honey make much of a difference?

I’m just surprised that the old fork felt much smoother and had a plush feeling to it.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
No matter what you do, the Rock Shox will never feel as amazing as the Fox.:p

I'd give it a dozen rides to let the various seals, bushings wear in a bit then do a quick lowers service with some new oil, as there can be QA issues with little lubrication from the factory.

If that is still rubbish after a month or two then you could look at upgrading the damper, or getting something better.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
“Hmmm Devon”

Most reports Ive read aren’t that impressed withgold35,,, prob needs a damper upgrade, yours has MC? Slick honey couldn’t hurt but won’t make a world of diff

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I've found Rockshox to be pretty light on with factory lubrication, a service sure as hell wouldn't hurt.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It takes a few rides to loosen the seals and shim stacks, RS are known for lack of oil in the bottom legs.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I don’t know the fork, sounds like a beefed up Sektor? Never a fork that’s going to feel amazing if so.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Would giving the fork a lowers service and just replacing the oil and throwing in some slick honey make much of a difference?
My conspiracy theory is RS go slim on the fluids and lube to get the weight targets lol. Never met a well lubricated RS out the box.

moorey

call me Mia
My conspiracy theory is RS go slim on the fluids and lube to get the weight targets lol. Never met a well lubricated RS out the box.
Sure...that 20 gram maximum saving is worth risking warranty returns for prematurely munted forks.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I don’t know the fork, sounds like a beefed up Sektor? Never a fork that’s going to feel amazing if so.
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/rockshox-quietly-releases-budget-35-fork/

Think you're right - the old Recon / Sektor in a 35mm chassis, or a budget variant of the Revelation. Motion control damper and Debonair spring.

A rebuild with slicko and low friction seals might help a bit. A charger damper upgrade could be possible if it shares the same chassis with the current Revelation?

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info.
I’ll wear them in a little and then do a service.
I had to laugh when that article said:

Over time though, these technologies trickle down and the ‘budget’ forks we see now are as good as top-line forks from five or six years ago”

[FONT=open-sans, Open Sans, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]In my experience this is clearly not the case. This fork is not even close to the old fox 34. Maybe an upgraded damper may change that.[/FONT]

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The RockShox 35 Gold is kind of an E-bike version of the Revelation.
Simply put; a Pike Chassis with a burlier crown and straight wall (instead of tapered) tubing with a Motion Damper internal.

In fact, since the Revelation kind of has a cut cost Charger now, the 35 Gold is almost the "new Revelation" with the continued Motion Control damper in it.

Can likely be upgraded to a Charger damper if you want a better feel. But guessing it's just got some cut cost bushings, oils and seals compared to the higher end models.
Can't upgrade them to a Charger damper. I've asked DSD this and they said it accepts the 32mm Mo-Co damper. Take one apart and you'll see. Made me return a bike due to this issue.

Also the Mo-Co damper on the 35 has a very light rebound tune. Turn it to fully closed and it wouldn't behave like a Rev would at fully closed. Pretty disappointing fork all around.

Reactions: Zaf